• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gear Restrictions

Timetoshoot

Bullet driver
Minuteman
May 7, 2013
Carbondale
I got into precision rifle because I wanted to be a better marksman as a hunter. Increased range and less chance of wounding and losing game. After a while I discovered I liked the past time of prescision rifle shooting. To improve and succeed there is a defined set of fundementals, a bit of tinkering with gear, the mental focus, math, and physical skills. Turned out is was addicting. I evolved from shooting a hunting rifle to having a presciion hunting rifle, a match rifle and a pack full of ‘tools’ to shoot better.

I’m in the process of packing for a 5 day fly fishing trip. My son calls at the last minute and tells me he’s been haveing some success calling coyotes and that I should bring a long gun. Space is limited in my rig so I grab the essentials. Turns out I’m leaving behind most of what I had come to depend on for matches and informal shooting. I picked my rifle based on the reticle, ammo, range finder, dope card, tripod, sling, rear bag., and binos. Binos and rifle both direct mount to the RRS leveling head.

I was struck by how much gear is truly not nessesary. Later in the day I’m listening to episode 94 and could relate to Franks suggests to match directors on stage design. His suggestions aligne with what I want out of a match. I realize this may not appeal to all but it does align with what motivated me to get started in this game.

With time to reflect on all this while driving I think that the most practical skills I’ve learned came while using a mechanical support, barricade, branch, fence post ect... to support the front or back of the gun and then using muscle or bone structure to support the other end. That requires me to then employ marksmanship fundamentals to complete the shot. This most closely resembles what I will face in the field as a shooter. My situation has never allowed me to support the rifle in the field in a way that allowed free recoil or not driving the rifle.

This is probably not new or earth shattering revelation to many of you. Thanks to the podcasts, and this forum I most likely reached these conclusions quicker than if I’d been left to my own devises. THANK YOU

Now its time to focus on family and fish.......

Last edited:
Reactions: britneymadz
It’s true you can certainly use a lot of unneeded gear.
I’ve been shooting precision rifle matches for quite a while now. One thing I have consistently notice is most of the top level shooters that are winning matches are very gear light. More mid to low level shooters use gear maybe as a crutch to get a better shot. But instead they should probably learn how to shoot effectively and master the fundamentals. Gear 100% helps the lower level shooters. Take gear away and watch the top of the pack extend their lead even more. I personally carry one bag. That’s about all i use. I watch other guys shoot well with tripods, different bipod positions, big bean bags etc. Sometimes it works for them. Sometimes not. It’s ok everyone is a little different.
I teach a ton of competition shooters, hunters, LEO guys all over the country. I very rarely show them how to use the latest and greatest gadget. I teach them how to shoot first. Let’s master that and we will be miles ahead.

Field shooting is flat out more mundane. Targets are bigger. There's almost always an option for a better position.

The rifle I use for hunting is lighter and now it interfaces with a tripod directly. Last year I was able to kill 12 deer, and over 100 hogs with just a Gamechanger bag and a bipod.

This year is even easier with a tripod that connects directly; my rifle plan is basically sit in a lawnchair on the edge of big fields and wait for animals.

Theres nothing like having 2 minutes to get into a funky position on a tank trap to try and shoot off 12 rounds though 5 positions on a 700 yard steel plate. Such a circumstance almost requires you to have multiple bags and “tools” to make your shots with moderate accuracy and success.

Vs. hunting, and depending on how you hunt, you can just set up and wait for your targets to move into a comfortable range and fire from a preplanned position.

Matches you have to be prepared fir anything and getting into a good position on a tough stage, hunting is almost preplanned in a sense.

Depends on the type of hunting. My hunting is mostly spot and stalk in big open western country. Nothing planned....except lots of sweat and fatigue. If your going to use it, you have to hual it. onces=pounds, pounds=pain. Coyote calling is a bit different, except you need speed and mobility to move to new hide/calling location. 2 minutes to set up a shot is often not available when a big bull is moving through with cows.