• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Gearing up for Prairie dog season!!! Update.Vid/pc

JWV

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2009
Mich State Univ, East Lansing
I'm heading to Rapid city, SD the first week in May. My mother moved out there in December so I have a perfect excuse to go Prairie dog hunting. Just ordered 15 100 MTM cases for my buddies and I, on top of the tons we already have. Took inventory on my loading gear. Looks like 475 204s, 205 308s, and 200 260AI's for the long range work. Building a second portable bench soon here. Among the other rifles going are a 223(AR), 223AI, 22-250, 30-06, 300 mag, 7saum. My mom has been scouting for the last couple of months and we have permission to shoot on 2 large ranches with virgin Praire dog towns. When she went to visit, she said there were PD's running around everywhere. T-minus 31 days until the Hawks get fat!!!

Re: Gearing up for Prairie dog season!!!

A forum member gave me some map overlays but I know a lot of the Western side of SD got hit buy the plague so the numbers are down. The ranches I'm going to must have been an exception.

Currently I am planning on taking 880 rounds. Should I take more? I do have a 17 HM2 and built Ruger 10/22 I could take as well.

I would be willing to bet most of what I own that there are no "virgin prairie dog towns" in SD anymore or hasn't been for 15yrs since the VHA moved to SD. Well maybe if they are new and under 5 acres?

Have heard that dozens of times over the years, "nobody has shot there"! Really, so why after the first shot did they disappear?

Drove out to a little town on public land this afternoon. Thought with no snow etc there would be some shooting. Well, guess no out of staters have shot them 'virgin' towns this spring either. Head shot 2 dogs with the 6BR at 225yds and about 260yd as there was nothing close. Missed the other 6 head shots with the wind switching and going from 10-20mph. Didn't help they were all 275+. After 1hr of staring at the beauty of a heavily shot SD dog town I drove back home.

Damn I love all the virgin towns with no out of state pressure!

I here you SD, the places I am going to are private cattle ranchers land. They said no one has shot on their land in 5+ year and they have not poisoned. Maybe not virgin, but very very healthy populations that are not timid according to the owner.

Rimfires aren't good for much where I go. I hunt res ground in Norhtern SD. Normally I end up quite a ways from the truck. When I walk out, I want to be carrying a rifle that will kill from the muzzle out to 700yds if the conditions are good. The dogs are pretty spooky where I go. A fast twist 22-250 AI is my favorite right now.

One thing that helps a whole bunch is to keep your group small. We've learned to split into two groups.

Don't lay down next to any buzzworms!!! I just about did a couple years back.

Good luck man. P-doggin is some of the best practice a guy can get and a shitload of fun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JWV</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Currently I am planning on taking 880 rounds. Should I take more? I do have a 17 HM2 and built Ruger 10/22 I could take as well.</div></div>

I would bring as much ammo as you think you need. I have had lots of 1,000rd days and a bunch of 500 to 800rd days. If you get into a good town and the temps and winds are just right you can shoot and shoot with out letting up. I had one late afternoon evening where I fired over 1,200 rds of 223. They were close and needed to get food after a three day rain storm.

Waaaa!! Boohoo!! Thats murder!! Are you ging to eat them?!?! Thats what my sister-in-law asks... I tell her, "No, and when the coyotes show up to eat the carcasses, I'll kill them too, and then when the vultures show up to eat the coyotes, I'll kill them, and when the deer show up to eat the vultures, and when the baby seals show upto eat the deer... and so on and so on..." You should see her face... O_O

That is wild rpk. That is some serious shooting. I hope I see that many, but I would need to use a lot of rimfire. I can't afford the brass to shoot that many in a day without reloading!

I typically shoot about 500rds/day, +/- 100. That's spread over 5 rifles.

I have been loading for a few weeks right now. Goingthor a warm vacation for a week tomorrow and then off to the gopher fields. Shooting a 22 hornet this year along with a 204, 17 FB, and my usual 223. Taking about 2500 rounds of centerfire with me.

I am loading up .220 Swift as fast as my Rockchucker will go. HAHAHA! My in-laws have informed me that the town is hopping right now at the ranch, so the boys and I may head down this weekend.

Have a blast!!! I think if I run out of centerfire ammo I will just go buy a bring of 22 and a bunch of 17 and start slinging led.

welcome to Prarie dog USA lol shot so many one day i got tired and had to stop. population is good this yr have at it boys

I usually bring 4-500rds of 204 3-400rds 17hmr 500rds 22lr and 100rds for 300 and the 7saum for when I get Bord and want to shoot a mile.

Good to here John. Have the populations recovered a bit from the plague in the Rapid City area? Especially around Hot Springs area?

I would like to see photos of your portable bench you are making.

This has worked for me the last two years. Just a 4ft banquet table from home depot for $30. Fits in the back of my little grand am, is fairly lightweigh, even has a handle to carry it with. Ignore the wheels and carpet, I used it for a year without all that and it still did the job. Quick setup, can use whatever chair your ass likes.

BUT, I do like the appeal of something you've built yourself. I just don't have the patience. With me there's no measuring or marking, just give me the sawz-all and I start cuttin haha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JWV</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Currently I am planning on taking 880 rounds. Should I take more? I do have a 17 HM2 and built Ruger 10/22 I could take as well.</div></div>
Grab what you think you'll need...than grab some more. All the different cliche sayings are true. Ammo doesn't take up too much space, and you can always bring back what you don't shoot to use again. It's beats the hell out cutting a trip short do to no ammo. Not saying you WILL find the mother of all colonies haha The shooting varies. Sometimes 50 rounds a day, sometimes 500.

33et0mx.jpg

Sweet looking table, I now have a mental blueprint of what im going to make. Thanks

Update!!! I have been blasting away for the last 3 days. I pretty much have only been using my 204. Like someone mentioned, I did not need the rimfires. I also was able to back it up and shoot at a small boulder at 1100 yards with my 260. The PD shooting went alright the first two days, weather kind of sucked. But, we refined our tactics the third day and slayed them big time. Turns out being very mobile is the best tactic in the PD town, which is in excess of 400 acres on a 5000 acre ranch. I will post some pics soon.Some of the highlights, my buddy got a 583 and 375 yard headshots. I got a couple headshots at 400 yards. Multiple huge varmint explosions. It has been a blast.

Damn you! I was doing just fine not thinking about my upcoming trip in June...now because of you the next month is going to go by so slow waiting for it!

Oh, and congratulations on your newest addiction! Glad you had good shooting and a good time.

Thanks! I would have rather came in June. I have heard it is better. My buddies left today, and I am staying a few extra days and then driving back with my mom. But, today, I went to a spot by myself and just slayed them. They were being pretty dumb about my 204 blowing up their buddies and didn't really run. Also, I walked my ass out to that rock at gps'd it at 1115 yards. Pictures to follow shortly. I'M EXHAUSTED!!!

I have a prairie dog town here in Oklahoma that the farmer lets me shoot on. They are the best reactive targets ever. I went out a couple of weeks ago and they have pupped. Little bastards were everywhere and man are they stupid.

Allright Pdogs, when and where brother! I HAVE to pop some of these things man. I'm gonna get the Dillon humming to make .223 this weekend for them!

I think I am going to get a 223 for next time. As much as I love my 204 and the punishment it delivers, dropping powder and seating bullets is such a PITA compared to the 223. Might even do an ackley.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JWV</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think I am going to get a 223 for next time. As much as I love my 204 and the punishment it delivers, dropping powder and seating bullets is such a PITA compared to the 223. Might even do an ackley.
</div></div>

My sentiments exactly, guess we are the only two in the world that feel like this, give me a 222 or 223 any day. Heading out on Sunday to SD and WY for PD.

22-250 is the way to go, any brand gun 50 or 55 grain bullets as fast as you want to push them,3500 to 4000 fps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AREAONE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JWV</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think I am going to get a 223 for next time. As much as I love my 204 and the punishment it delivers, dropping powder and seating bullets is such a PITA compared to the 223. Might even do an ackley.
</div></div>

My sentiments exactly, guess we are the only two in the world that feel like this, give me a 222 or 223 any day. Heading out on Sunday to SD and WY for PD. </div></div>

No, you aren't the only guys who feel that way. I'm loading 500rnds of 223 with 40 grain bt's and 500rnds of 22-243's with 80 grain amaxes. My 204 thing is well behind me. Nothing against it. Just not for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2shots</div><div class="ubbcode-body">22-250 is the way to go, any brand gun 50 or 55 grain bullets as fast as you want to push them,3500 to 4000 fps. </div></div>

Just wait till you see the 75AMAXs via 223AIs in a action next week. You'll forget the 22/250!

My buddy was using the 223 AI with 80 grain amaxs and it was pretty awesome. We had a lot of long shots and wind was gusty. The 80s really started to put the rest of us to shame with the light and fast bullets. He did hit a dog at about 50 yards with an 80gr amax and it cut the thing clean in two. I will get a pick of that up soon. I was also able to go 5 for 5 this morning in about 20 minutes. There was zero wind...finally and I got pretty close to them. About 150 yards. I also made a new buddy, as soon as I start shooting a small field owl flies right over and hangs out near me. I will try to get a picture of him tomorrow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2shots</div><div class="ubbcode-body">22-250 is the way to go, any brand gun 50 or 55 grain bullets as fast as you want to push them,3500 to 4000 fps. </div></div>

Just wait till you see the 75AMAXs via 223AIs in a action next week. You'll forget the 22/250! </div></div>

I've run the 75 grain Amax/223 AI combo in the past. Very, very effective. Not much of a splat factor past 200, but an extremely efficient way to shoot long. Didn't hardly seem right getting that much performance out of 27 grains of powder.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JWV</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are the 80s just not worth the slight gain in BC? If not I am going to order a shit ton of 75s.
</div></div>

I figured the 80's were getting to be a bit much for a 223 sized case. I've certainly been wrong before. I started using the 75grainers back before they really caught on and I was worried about expansion as well. Figured the extra velocity of the 75's might help a smidge in that department. That's serious nitpicking tho.

An article in VHA magazine recently stated that Litz tested the 80's bc at .463. That piqued my interest. I'm gonna give them a serious kick in the ass with a 22-243 and see what happens.