• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Geissele National Match in a POF P308?

308Shooter1911

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2011
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I know the Geissele triggers have been well discussed in this forum and have an excellent reputation with precision AR shooters. This is my delimma. I have a P308 that has an EXCELLENT single stage trigger, but I feel myself wanting it the break sooner than it does(4.5Lbs as states from the factory).

It is because of this, that I was considering replacing it with a Timney single stage. I have a Timney on my bolt gun that is a dream, but after doing a lot of research on this site I am now considering the Geissele adjustable national match and setting it to 3lbs. What are your thoughts on reliability as compared to a SSA-E. I want my pull to be around 3lbs.

I love Geissele triggers. I have them in all of my ARs except one. In my GAP-10, which is an absolute tack driver, I've got the SSA-E. Couldn't ask for a better trigger in it.

I recommend the SDE because although it has the same pull weight as the SSA-E, the flat bow gives it a lighter feel.

I had a POF 308 with a high speed DMR in it, set for a bit more than 3 lbs. It worked beautifully, but I think the SD-E or SSA-E may be better in that you don't have to worry about the adjustment screws. I don't have any empirical data to suggest that the screws would migrate under repeated use in a .308 semi-auto, but there is peace of mind with the non-adjustable models.

I had a POF 308 with a high speed DMR in it, set for a bit more than 3 lbs. It worked beautifully, but I think the SD-E or SSA-E may be better in that you don't have to worry about the adjustment screws. I don't have any empirical data to suggest that the screws would migrate under repeated use in a .308 semi-auto, but there is peace of mind with the non-adjustable models.

I think I am going with the High Speed from Ranier Arms. They come with all three springs, so I can decide which is best for me. I am worried the SSA-E may be to heavy for what I want as my POF is 4.5lbs and the SSA-E is not much lighter. I want to buy once and cry once.

My POF that I bought 7 months ago came with an excellent trigger, but I swapped it out with a SD-E. The two stage SD-E is great for precision work, and was a big upgrade from the POF trigger. For HD or combat, the POF would work well, though.

I have a number of different match triggers in my rifles (AR15/AR10 types). One small frame rifle has a Jard 2 LB trigger that has worked great so far, however, I have heard that putting a trigger below around 3.5 LBS into an AR10 platform is a bad idea. Apparently the heavier recoil impulse from larger calibers can result in the shooter unintentionally firing an extra round before they planned on, or in some cases the "bounce" of the rifle as the bolt slams home can cause the rifle to fire prematurely.

I have never witnessed this, nor have I had any problems with my 2 LB trigger. But I can understand how it might happen. The 3.5 pound JP trigger in my AR10 type rifle has worked flawlessly for the past 4 years.

I run a Hi-Speed Match in my Mega MA-Ten set at 1lb 1st Stage and 1.5lbs 2nd Stage and have no issue with "bounce" fire so not sure where that "theory" came from. Now if you had a Short Reset Trigger, sure "bounce" fire has a higher probability.

I have the Timney installed in my P308. I actually have the Timney in my other 2 POF rifles 5.56 and 6.8II. I wanted the same feel on each rifle no matter which one I grabbed. Very happy with the Timney, but as always different strokes for different people.

Battle Rifle=KISS=SSA-E There enough moving parts in the system already.

I run a National Match in my PWS MK216 and love it. I never did any tuning or adjusting to it I just slapped it in and went. The first stage is right about 1.25 and the second is just a hair under 1lb. The whole bounce fire thing doesn't really make sense to me unless of course the shooter isn't properly running the reset and is just jumping off the trigger. All-in-all I would highly recommend the HSNM trigger.