• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Geissele SSA, SSA-E or RR NM thoughts?

llajumpvid

Private
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2009
Looking at getting a new trigger for my Bushmaster ORC. I'm looking to add some accuracy. Most of the rounds through it will in all likelyhood be at paper but I will use it a few times a year for hog hunting.

I started out thinking the RR NM was the way to go until I started to read the reviews of the SSA...so I was about to "pull the trigger" on the SSA then saw there is a SSA-E version.

Is the SSA or SSA-E worth about twice that of the RR NM? I assume the SSA-E is a heavy enough pull it would still be safe riding around in a ATV or through the brush?

The thing that has me a little worried about the RR NM is the number for sale on gunbroker, which leads me to think they are swaped out a lot for better triggers. Only want to spend money once...but I'm also cheap:)

Thoughts or suggestions appreciated

Re: Geissele SSA, SSA-E or RR NM thoughts?

I have the SSA and IMO its the best choice for a field gun. The match triggers are great but I'm leery of the small set screws working loose.

SSA is fantastic and 100% drop in.

I second the SSA-E. From what I understand it is everything the Hi-speed (DMR) trigger is minus the adjustments. Or better put a SSA with a lighter take-up and lighter, crispier break.

I have the Hi-speed, but now that Geissele offers the SSA-E I might pick one up for my AR10.

Very good triggers... possibly the best on the market.

Bill Geissele don't mess around when it comes to his AR triggers thats for sure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pupdawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I second the SSA-E. From what I understand it is everything the Hi-speed (DMR) trigger is minus the adjustments. Or better put a SSA with a lighter take-up and lighter, crispier break.
</div></div>Although I don't own one yet, I don't think the SSA-E is quite on the same level as the Hi Speed. I think the Hi Speed is just in a class of it's own.

I do want to try out the SSA-E and the new single stage Geissele when they get released. $$(sigh)

LonnieA, I'm not quite sure what you mean by this statement. <span style="font-weight: bold">"I assume the SSA-E is a heavy enough pull it would still be safe riding around in a ATV or through the brush?</span>"
Safety on, right?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nihonjin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pupdawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I second the SSA-E. From what I understand it is everything the Hi-speed (DMR) trigger is minus the adjustments. Or better put a SSA with a lighter take-up and lighter, crispier break.
</div></div>Although I don't own one yet, I don't think the SSA-E is quite on the same level as the Hi Speed. I think the Hi Speed is just in a class of it's own.

I do want to try out the SSA-E and the new single stage Geissele when they get released. $$(sigh)

LonnieA, I'm not quite sure what you mean by this statement. <span style="font-weight: bold">"I assume the SSA-E is a heavy enough pull it would still be safe riding around in a ATV or through the brush?</span>"
Safety on, right? </div></div>

I noticed the same thing on safety.The couple of seconds it takes to chamber a round isn't worth the risk of killing someone else or yourself.Lotta shit can happen on an ATV.

"I assume the SSA-E is a heavy enough pull it would still be safe riding around in a ATV or through the brush?"

Yes it "should be on" but there are times when it gets forgotten or a buddy is using it. When in a vehicle I 99.9% of the time clear the chamber unless in a chase.

From what I'm reading the SSA-E is still 3.5 total pounds of pull so it's not a hair trigger. I believe I'll be ordering the SSA-E.

I have a Geissele two stage in my ORC. I have several thousand rounds through and have not had an issue with it. I am not easy on my AR. I maintain it well but am not easy on it. Someone on GT was selling them for $120 and I could not pass up the deal.

Based on the fact that you have more of a battle rifle than a SPR I would go with the RR NM two stage. I have all of the triggers you listed in my rifles and a few others like Jewell, LMT and Timney.

Most all my "work" and training ARs have the Rock in them and I have been very happy. My guns get run hard and I have had no issues.

He makes two triggers. The rest of the magic is done with different weight trigger springs.

You either buy the adjustable one or or the fixed one. The adjustable one moves the trigger face forward a few millimeters, the fixed one stays in the standard M16 trigger face placement.

Both variants have two springs - a hammer spring that does not change in weight, and a choice of trigger springs that DO change in weight.

Nothing more to it than that. You get one or the other and then buy extra trigger springs to go with it to play with the weight RANGE of the trigger on the adjustable and the WEIGHT ONLY on the fixed.

The fixed retails for $100 less.

I just sold an RRA that was tuned by Holliger that I should not have sold. It was an awesome trigger, set a 4.6 lbs for Service Rifle. The RRAs are a good way to go if you have John tune them. Otherwise they are pretty inconsistent one to the other. Overall very good, right out of the box, but inconsistent between each other.

The SSA will get you a higher quality metal trigger than the RRA at a relatively low premium over a tuned RRA. That is the biggest thing it has going in favor of it over the RRA.

I spent about an hour with Bill a few weeks ago. He is a stand-up dude. Amy his wife is great as well. I'll throw all the money I can at him to keep him in business and servicing the industry.

I have a 2-stage RRA and it works fine. However when I have the money, I will upgrade to Geissele. Based on my reading, Geissele makes battle-ready triggers, whereas the RRA may fail what I consider to be prematurely. Sorry I don't have the technical expertise to say why that is, but I'm sure you can google and find out.

I am sure the G is a fine trigger but I have a Jewell and an Armalite 2 stage which work well. The Jewell is adjustable and the Armalite required some fitting (stoning) to get the weight where I wanted it. The Armalite being non- adjustable once set up it has never changed. The Jewell required a minor tweak when my trigger did not make weight (too light). Simple with an Allen wrench as long as you have one handy. Given a choice I prefer the non-adjustable and stone to tune triggers. YMMV.

Geissele is the best thing going for a combat/battle rifle. If you're running an SPR/DMR gun, I'd look at the adjustable Hi-Speed, otherwise I'd go for the SSA.

I have an SSA. One of the best improvements to my M4.

I just got in my SSA-E today and replaced the 2 stage RRA trigger in my AR15. I can't believe how much better it feels. There is absolutely no creep I can tell from doing dry fire exercises with it. The break is extremely crisp. Once you take up the first stage it is a super clean and light pull to the hammer falls. There really is no comparison to the RRA and when I order my GAP-10 it WILL have an SSA-E.

I know I'm resurrecting this thread (call me Dr. Frankenstein) but I had to chime in and this seemed an excellent place.

The RRA NM is a pretty good trigger. It may at times feel like a Geissele, but it is no Geissele.

My RRA NM felt just as good as any SSA-E out there, Problem I had with my RRA NM is that it would not ignite some primers. When it was new, it always worked, then over time, Wolf would not ignite, then NATO M193 would not go off. This only after about 1200 rounds or so.

Put a Geissele SSA (not E) in my LWRC, and almost 5000 rounds later it is still a tickin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IronMaidenFan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was a mouse click away from getting an SSA-E for my SR-15 when I stumbled upon this --> http://www.americantrigger.com/ The AR Gold trigger. It's on its way to me now. I'll let everyone know how it shoots shortly.
</div></div>

I guess if you are into believing the maker's lies, go for it.

"This is the absolute finest AR Trigger in the world – by far, bar none. A trigger like no other. Why do we say that? Because every other after market “Match” is designed around the Camp Perry High Power course of fire and rules regarding trigger weight. That course of fire does not require high speed shooting and trigger rules flow from the reality of our United States service rifles stock triggers."

This is pure BS. Bill has developed a line of triggers that have nothing to do with National Match competition as well as "flat range" triggers. Go look at the documentation on Giessele's site if you are after a run and gun gaming trigger.

The OP did not ask about gaming triggers.

i just got a ssa-e trigger today, i dont think that its worth $215. its ok but its not the endall.

rich

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SSG3K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i just got a ssa-e trigger today, i dont think that its worth $215. its ok but its not the endall.

rich </div></div>

I like the SSA-E, but I agree that $215.00 is a little steep for the end result.

i failed and made the jump to "good triggers" and that ruined me.

i have 3 of the giessele ssd-e triggers on, one on a 223, a 204 Ruger, and a 6.5 Grendel.

for the shorter, less precise 16" 223, i have the RRA NM.

i wouldn't worry about any of them 'just going off' but if you are on a ATV or something like that, your safety should definitely be on.

as far as how nice of a one to get, spend what you are comfortable with. when we compare the giessele vs the RRA NM, i use the giessele's for PD hunting. at 500yds you need the best trigger you can get (at least i do) for hog hunting at 100yds in, the RRA NM will be just fine.

the NM is a good trigger, but its just not as good as the giessele. it will only be up to you if that is worth an extra $135 in price. i would suspect that for hog hunting its probably not worth it.

I am using the ssa _e in my spr in Afghanistan and it hasn't had a problem yet I'm happy with it in Every way.

just get the sse and roll out the ammo ,shoot ! it works very well !!!

I'll be ordering an SSA or SSA-E for my new rifle soon!(not sure which one yet) Thanks for the input

i will be happy to take anyone's SSA-E trigger they dont want anymore.

Well on a side note I got another trigger but an SSA version. I actually like it better than the SSA-E YMMV.

Rich

I haven't run the SSA-E before. But I do have and like the SSA on another rifle.

I have an SSA-E with the flat shoe sitting in the safe waiting for my POF P308 to show up sometime next week hopefully.

Im running a RRA NM on my 300blkout and I'm just ok with it. For what everyone says about it why run anything else but I'm not that big of a fan. Now another thing I haven't tried the Geissele, I want to but I'm kinda leaning toward the single stage triggers, like a Timeny.