• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Geissele SSP?

plong

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 13, 2010
    USA
    Anyone have meaningful experience with the Geissele Single-Stage Precision trigger? Thoughts...Words of wisdom...?

Reactions: BA226
    Figured I’d bump this up instead of starting a new thread. Anyone using a SSP in one of their paper punching or steel pinging AR’s? Love it or hate it? I bought one last year during a Black Friday sale and only got around to installing it yesterday in my 6.5 Grendel, haven’t hit the range yet.

It looks like I got the gen 2 trigger as there is a tiny bit of creep before it breaks. The vids I watched before purchasing showed the trigger breaking with no creep like a single stage bolt action (Timney or Jewel), which I guess were all reviews on the gen 1’s. From what I could find there was sort of issue with them so they rolled out a new version. The creep seems annoying, won’t know for sure until I get some time behind it.

I tried one in my .308 a few months ago, and as Zuul mentioned there is a little bit of creep before it breaks. Not a bad trigger, but I wasn’t completely happy with it. Took it out and replaced it with a triggertech adaptable ar trigger and I’m Liking it so far. Zero creep and adjusts from 2.5-5lbs. If a little creep doesn’t bother you go for it, but if it does I would say go with a triggertech or an AR Gold.

Concur with the above, I have one with a tiny bit of creep as well. Seems like a modified S3G trigger (which I also have) with the sear engagement shortened as much as possible to attempt to replicate a true single stage trigger.

The creep is definitely there with a slow methodical trigger press. However, if you have a good sight picture and just press w/o pause, the creep is not noticeable.

The only single stage triggers I own with 0 perceptible creep are: Trigger Tech, Wilson Combat, and JP - all are drop in module units.

my $0.02

AvsFan:cool:

No creep in mine. Clean single-stage break. Mut have received a "Gen 1". Juries still out on performance/satisfaction as I've not shot that rifle enough to form a conclusion. Definitely wondering about the"issue" of which you speak. What should I be looking for?

Thanks for the insight guys, I’ll take the gun out and see if I like the trigger, if not there are a bunch of other options.

The guy in this vid didn’t elaborate on the problem he had with the first run of triggers, only that lightly cleaning the sear surfaces to remove any crud build up remedied his issue. From what I could find on forums it looks like Giessle said the material wasn’t up to par?

I purchased one when they first launched the SSP Flat Bow. For me, there is a tiny perceptible creep when pulling very slowly and deliberately.

Shooting it offhand at steel and standup targets I do not notice anything and I think it’s a good overall trigger.

My loyalty lies with a Hiperfire ECLipse for top single stage trigger.

I continue to hear excellent remarks about Wilson, but have not had the chance to try one out yet.

I have 3 SSP’s, and I’ve built another rifle for a family member using the SSP. All 4 I have encountered do have a TINY amount of creep, but really not all that noticeable. The packaging they come in attempts to not allow any rust on the surfaces, but I found if I didn’t polish them prior to instal they didn’t feel as good. Even with that, this trigger will be my go to for now.

I have used elftman triggers and honestly this was the best feeling single stage, there was ZERO creep, just a wall. Unfortunately the drop in mechanism left the trigger unreliable. CMC triggers are ok, but nothing to write home about.

Hoping to hit the range tomorrow to try out the trigger, I’ll report back how it went.

Went out this morning and put 60 rounds through the gun, the creep is annoying. I tried to time it like a two stage and then to “pull through”, couldn’t get comfortable with either method. I’m going to hit the range one more time but i’m leaning towards changing the trigger out. I’m not the type of guy that returns something if I buy it and don’t like it, I’ll sell it or give it to a friend, but I’m thinking about reaching out to Geissle on this one. I have some of thier other products that are awesome, this $185 trigger that says “no creep” in the product description is meh to say the least.

Reactions: Skunkworx
    Went out this morning and put 60 rounds through the gun, the creep is annoying. I tried to time it like a two stage and then to “pull through”, couldn’t get comfortable with either method. I’m going to hit the range one more time but i’m leaning towards changing the trigger out. I’m not the type of guy that returns something if I buy it and don’t like it, I’ll sell it or give it to a friend, but I’m thinking about reaching out to Geissle on this one. I have some of thier other products that are awesome, this $185 trigger that says “no creep” in the product description is meh to say the least.

Interested to see what geissele says if you go that route.

I have Geissele's in all my AR's, even the rack grade shit has the Brownells/Geissele rapid fires. I have SSP's, SSA's, SSA-E's, Hi-Speed's, 3G's, 3GSD's and an SSA-E with a flat bow. They all have different attributes but the Hi Speed is best due to the adjustments.

The difference between the SSP and 3G is that the SSP releases free and the 3G gets a bump from the disconnector when it releases. That's pretty much it according to Geissele but it makes a big difference in how they work. Both are rapid fire triggers but the SSP is more capable of taking an aimed shot without being prone to doubling or bump firing than is the 3G or 3GSD if you have a light trigger finger, loose grip or loose shoulder.

A little pre-travel isn't exactly creep. You have slop before the trigger is tight? That's not right and something is wrong then. You want some pretravel in a trigger like this where it's still engaging the hammer and moving before release. You can feel it. What you don't want is a lot of overtravel, so after you fire it should have a rapid reset. That's what it's made for. If you had no pretravel, the trigger would be pretty damn dangerous using this design in an AR IMO. But I've never seen one with slop though I have seen 'em work slightly different in different lowers sometimes.

I've tried most all but the some of the newest brands of triggers and I still like Geissele the best so far. Wilson makes an expensive single stage trigger that I thought was okay, it was a bit, uh, just not all that smooth really. Not for the price. But it was fairly sharp. I'd try it first to see if it's for you. It's a true one stage design, not a modified 2 stage setup like Geissele uses. It was the only other 1 stage that got my attention. Those Hiperfire triggers are pretty nice, I tried one but that's it. I thought it had a funny feel to it though.

I’m in a similar boat with you. I may see if they’ll just swap it with a SD-E or something they do correct (2-Stage). I still like Geissele as a whole, but this project isn’t ready yet.

PSA has the SSA-E trigger on sale for $179.99 until the end of the day, if anyone is interested. Free shipping too.