• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors GEMTECH customer service experiences?

LtDan

Private
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2011
Central Oh
New to the board, been reading and stalking for a bit. After a 3.5 month wait, approval came in for GEMTECH HVT QD. Went with this suppressor on recommendation from my Chief and another officer, both of whom have several GEMTECH's but none in the 7.62 variety.

Got the HVT on Friday, went to the range on Sunday. The rifle is an RRA LAR 8 Predator, it has been a consistent half to 3/4 minute shooter at 100 yards, three round groups. Round is Hornady 168 grn A-MAX TAP Precision.

Suppressor on, 3 to 5 inch groups, it is all over the place. Suppressor off, tack driver. Back on, all over the place. Damn.

Lots of blowback on the barrel right behind the suppressor. Grabbing the suppressor, discernible movement up/down, back/forth on the bilock lug. Lug was installed by RRA.

Just back from GEMTECH dealer,I took the rifle and suppressor in for them to look at prior to shipping it back. They put it on, wiggled it, had a rather shocked look and gave me a receipt for the can, it is going back.

Weight was not much of a factor in the purchase, 99% of the shooting will be done prone off of a bipod. Disappointing though. Reading much more positive posts about AAC products. Now I'm 800+ dollars into a new tool that don't work.

Foresight and foreskin, could use more of each I guess. Anyway, I hope someone can tell me they at least have fantastic customer service. I called them myself yesterday morning, no return call as of yet.

Re: GEMTECH customer service experiences?

It varies.

If it is performance-related (as yours is) they are pretty good.

But, if they deem it "cosmetic" (as they did my MultiMount) then you are somewhat screwed.

I do have to say, my Sandstorm is perfect for me - but I use a bolt gun and doubts you should use a screw-on can for a semi-auto.

I had a problem with my POI walking all over the place. Turns out one of the welds had broke. I sent the HVT QD to Gemtech. They called me a week later and told me they wound re weld it and add a pin to it so it would not break again. I had it back in my hands three days later. POI shift is very consistent, and groups are just as tight if not tighter than without the can.

Hope you have the same service.

Kel, is a great guy over @ gemtech, had a QD swapped to threads on my HVT , only took em about a week.

Ordered my HVT and there was an ATF screw up which delayed shipping. Called Gemtech, they were sympathetic to the error and sent me some shit in the mail. Once I received the HVT, couldn't be happier. It's my only 308 can, and I use it on my patrol rifle (5.56) with no issues. They did good by me.

I had an accuracy issue similar to yours with my HVT and Dr. Dater replaced my whole baffle stack. Now, no problem at all.

Sounds like good experiences, thanks for the replies. Really disappointing to have the issue with a new unit and the lack of a return phone call from tech support doesn't help. Hopefully it gets resolved quickly.

I also have the 5.56 quickmount for my AR 15, I intend to use the 7.62 can on it also. Can comment on effectiveness or actual experience using the larger caliber can on a smaller caliber? I expect performance in sound reduction will not be as good as with a 5.56 can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LtDan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I also have the 5.56 quickmount for my AR 15, I intend to use the 7.62 can on it also. Can comment on effectiveness or actual experience using the larger caliber can on a smaller caliber? I expect performance in sound reduction will not be as good as with a 5.56 can. </div></div>

You answered your own question. There are a ton of threads on this already. Do a search to locate them.

Used the search function, but thanks for the suggestion. Unable to find any insight as to if the performance of the 7.62 can on a 5.56 is worth the effort/expense. If there is actual experience with this particular can and mount so much the better. Didn't mean to unnecessarily eat up any bandwith with a follow up question.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LtDan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Used the search function, but thanks for the suggestion. Unable to find any insight as to if the performance of the 7.62 can on a 5.56 is worth the effort/expense. If there is actual experience with this particular can and mount so much the better. Didn't mean to unnecessarily eat up any bandwith with a follow up question. </div></div>

We have used the threaded HVT on an ar-15, and my ears can't tell the diff.

I have a Gemtech HVT - 308 with QD mount and use it on my 308's. I also use a QD on my 223 using 1/2 x 28 TPI that I got from Gemtech so I can use the can on my AR's. I use it on my DPMS Mini-SASS. It works just fine and does suppress the round and reduce recoil. The sound is coming from the super sonic crack on the bullet. I have never built a sub-sonic round to test how well it works with that.

I have not used Gemtech customer service as I have never needed it but I have heard that it works very well. I also had them thread my Host rifle for the suppressor and it worked very well but I have since sold the rifle.

Excellent, thanks guys. I have the QD for the AR and will put it on.

Got a call on day 3 from GEMTECH. Told them it was on the way from the dealer. Nice folks on the phone, a quicker response would have been nicer. I'm just hoping to get a functional can back soon.

I just used their customer service and all involved where great. Had my suppressor back in a week and my accuracy in my bolt gun is back to .3 groups in a .308

My HVT on my AR15 is pretty quit. I usually pull the ear plug out of my left ear so I can hear the steal hits better when shooting at distance; doesn't bother me at all.

As an update...

I received the can back at the end of September, it had a work order/invoice that reads "Warranty repair: HVT s/n ******** with a loose bilock/mount match-up". A test target with a 75 yard 3 shot target with a one inch group.

Back to the range with it, same issue. Half minute groups at 100 unsupressed, 4+ inch groups when suppressor is on. As the suppressor gets hot, groups tighten up. About when heat signature is visible through scope, groups are back to near un-suppressed moa.

Called Gemtech, got referred to Phil.
He mentioned it may be ammo (department issued 168 grn Hornady Amax TAP). He said he would send me ammo he uses, in the meantime I had a couple hundred rounds of our previous issue ammo, Federal Gold Medal Match 168 grn BTHP. Took the ammo to the range, same issue, same dramatic POI shift, same group tightening as suppressor gets hot.

Email and phone call with Phil, he asked if I could ship whole system out. He was going to be out of town for a week or two, but would look at the weapon. Shipped out November 4.

No word by 11/21, so I sent an email asking if he got the rifle. No response. Follow up email on 11/29, no response for over a week, then got a call. He hadn't had a chance to look at it but should have it back to me by Christmas, I was appreciative he was willing to personally look into the matter, told him so. He said they would do everything they could, even if it meant a great deal on a lighter, thread on can. I'm happy at this point, thinking it may cost some extra cash, but it'll get resolved.

Dont hear anything, being patient as I don't want to be a pain in the ass, on 1/26 sent email "Good Morning Phil, checking in to see if you have had an opportunity to test fire the rifle/suppressor..." No response. Bear in mind, I'm sending the emails by replying in the previous email thread between he and I.

02/21 send another email "Phil,not sure if you have had an opportunity to check on the rifle/suppressor issue. If you have not and will not be able to in the near future, please ship the rifle back as I have some training opportunities coming up and can utilize the rifle unsuppressed." No response.

Now I'm getting frustrated, another email on 03/02 "Hello Phil,
Really trying not to pester you or be a pain in the ass customer, but I do miss my weapon. I shipped it out the first week of November, I understand you had commitments in November but in our last phone conversation you expected to ship the weapon back around Christmas. I has been out four months now and while I appreciate your offer to personally check into the problem, I am resigned to consider a steel q/d can on a semi auto as an expensive lesson and moving on. I have not received a response in my last two attempts to contact you and I must admit it is a little disconcerting." No reply.

03/08 call the custom shop, get voice mail. Leave message that I am concerned regarding the lack of response and the unknown status of my system, would like it returned. No response.

03-15 call the custom shop and get Phil. He is very nice, apologizes, says he never got my emails and has not looked at the rifle/suppressor. Says he has talked to others, and thinks the issue is due to the torque of the barrel nut on RRA weapons. I question as hot or cold, when unsuppressed the weapon is extremely accurate. He says there is a pd near him that is having the same problem. Apoligizes again, and says he will ship the system back, how much do I want it insured for. Offers of other remedies are apparently off the table.

So, I have an HVT, two 30 cal bi-lock mounts and a mount for my 556 (was going to use the same can on both) that I can't use. I sold my Rem 700 as the RRA was more accurate. Hopefully one of the other designated snipers (I know, that term...)at work will be willing to get their barrel threaded and buy it off me. I'm going to a titanium thread on, Thunderbeast is the front runner.

Just a very disappointing experience.

I read mixed reviews to before I bought mine, very accurate as a thread mount. Then had it switched to a QD and stayed pretty close to where I started. Also had the baffles upgraded at the same time. Gemtech seemend to be fine to deal with.

Lt. , sorry to hear of your disappointment with Gemtech, I have been running their units on several of my platforms from precision boltguns, SBR carbines and Glock handguns. I have had nothing but stellar performance from these units. As far as their customer service I had a new 9mm. Tundra take a major shit on me in a total breakdown, one phone call to Gemtech and Owen had me a brand new replacement in the system along with Gemtech picking up the extra 200.00 taxstamp. I have never called there that I could not get in touch with a member of their staff. Not to sound crass or disrespectful to you in any fashion or means but sometimes you just run into a platform that for just some unknown reason that it just would not perform with a can on it no matter what. I had a Ruger 77 one time that no matter what we tried it just would not perform with a can on it at all. Without a unit on it it would shoot 3/4-1" groups all day long but put a can on it for some snafued reason it would struggle to acheive3-4" groups. Finally cut the barrel down to 18" and it came into a new life of its own. Sometimes" Shit Happens" don't blame Gemtech for they are a topshelf company both in products and especially in their customer service. Good luck and don't give up on them from one bad experience.

I have an HVT with the same issues. I had a threading job in the lathe last week and prior to taking it out I decide to check my HVT mount and can. Suppressor on patterns like a shotgun, suppressor off, groups like a rifle.

Screwed the QD mount on and it ran out @ .0005", pretty good I thought. Installed the can on the mount and the OD ran out @ .040", the ID @ .030", not so good. I may have it switched over to 5/8x24 thread mount.

Had an AAC 762-SDN 6 here as well. Locked up tight on the QD.

I won't be purchasing another can from them. It was expensive to ship my whole rig to Boise, only to have it sit untouched for four months. There were a lot of promises made over the phone that weren't followed through with. My Chief has a couple Gemtech products and had good luck with them, I'm sure the majority of the time experiences with them turn out good. This one damn sure didn't.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LtDan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Back to the range with it, same issue. Half minute groups at 100 unsupressed, 4+ inch groups when suppressor is on. As the suppressor gets hot, groups tighten up. About when heat signature is visible through scope, groups are back to near un-suppressed moa.
</div></div> That is the exact thing that happens to my HVT. When it heats up (like 10-15 rounds) it starts to tighten up. I really don't trust the HVT for a first round shot. I have no idea of where it will go since it is not predicatble. My Thunderbeast is accurate from the first round to the last. I would also like to change my QD over to a thread on if it can be done. It can't be too much worse.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSTARSZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LtDan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Back to the range with it, same issue. Half minute groups at 100 unsupressed, 4+ inch groups when suppressor is on. As the suppressor gets hot, groups tighten up. About when heat signature is visible through scope, groups are back to near un-suppressed moa.
</div></div> That is the exact thing that happens to my HVT. When it heats up (like 10-15 rounds) it starts to tighten up. I really don't trust the HVT for a first round shot. I have no idea of where it will go since it is not predicatble. My Thunderbeast is accurate from the first round to the last. I would also like to change my QD over to a thread on if it can be done. It can't be too much worse. </div></div>

There is a distinct movement of the can when attached to mine. It is noticeably reduced when hot, which is when the groups tighten up. Is this the case with yours?

Trying a thread on HVT was one of the things they were going to try in order to eliminate sources of the problem.

Thunderbeast will be my next can.

I actually have two QD cans - the HVT and an AAC M4/2000 and they both have some of the same issues. Very inconsistent patterns until they get warm. The HVT seems to become more consistent when it is warm vice the AAC can. I can get it from 2-3 MOA - I can get two or three in a small pattern and it would just throw one or two randomly - at first I thought it was me but the more I shot it the more I saw it; it was on a GAP SASS which can shoot 3/4 MOA without the can on it. Once it gets warm I can shoot a 3/4 MOA five shot group and then I would let it cool and shoot again and the same problem would show up. I have bene keeping some of my targets to try and determine if it has some sort of pattern but I have not been able to figure it out yet.

The AAC was so bad that I decided to have my bolt rifle threads changed to 5/8 x 24 vice 1/2 x 28 so I can use my Thunderbeast on it. I am pretty tired with the QD cans. Some people may have had better luck than I but it just seems the HVT is just not the best for a suppressor.

I want to see someone take the HVT and get it changed to a thread on and get rid of the QD. After I get my rifle paid for after changing the threads I think I will call Gemtech and see if I can try a direct thread on.

I was hoping simply getting mine converted to a thread on would have been the answer. I would have gladly ate the 90 bucks for the attachment for my 556. Rifle was supposed to be overnighted last week, no rifle, no contact.

No freakin' joy.

I called Gemtech to discuss my problems which always starts with did you do this, that...blah blah, blah, but then I get to the I want to go thread on. I was told that if my can was manufactured before 2010 that it can be done, for a price, but if it is 2011 and beyond it is a no go. I will check when I get home but I know mine was around 2009 so I should be good to go. Did anyone get a quote of how much it costs to change it over to thread on vice QD?

Last update:

After being shipped out overnight on 03-15... I got the system back today (3/27). Only took two more phone calls. A letter was inside:

<span style="font-style: italic">Dear Sir,

All I can do is apologize. While there is no excuse for the time I have had your weapon, I would like to at least offer an explanation.

My division of Gemtech is exceptionally small and located on a large tract of land distant from the main office. My primary responsibilities are destructive, safety and sound testing as well as product marking. Repairs and accuracy testing are secondary and done as time is available.

I have been out of town at least one week each month since mid December. This is coupled with a cold, wet winter which is not amenable to outdoor shooting</span>.

A paragraph follows that claims on RRA the barrel nut is not torqued properly, so as the barrel heats, the nut tightens and groups get smaller. Great theory, but I had explained to him that the gun is accurate hot or cold. Put a cold suppressor on when the gun is hot, groups suck till suppressor gets hot. Put cold suppressor on cold gun, groups suck till suppressor gets hold. Suppressor getting hot is the key, lockup between the suppressor and lug is noticeably tighter when hot. He did put 65 bucks cash in it to cover part of my shipping. I wish they would take the suppressor, extra 308 and 556 lug back and I'd eat the tax stamp.

Ordering TBAC 30-P1.