• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Suppressors Gemtech Outback .22LR

hso11974

Private
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2009
Iola, Texas
I tried to do a search but could not find what I was looking for. I have a Gemtech Outback that looks to have the end caps threaded into the main tube. Can this can be disassembled? I wanted to ask before I tried and destroyed it.

Re: Gemtech Outback .22LR

yes it can, the ends have thread locker on them. put it in the oven set to 400 for roughly 30min. that should melt the threadlocker, both ends should unscrew, the little one is alot harder to grip on not mess up. good luck

I suggest you soak it in something first to loosen the crud inside.

The front cap should have a special pattern cut into the back side of it so that a tool can be used to remove it from the rear.

I had one recently that required more heat and time and it still was hard to get opened. It was unfired.

Leather straps are good to keep it from turning in a vise. Best to have jaws shaped to fit the tube.

Good luck.

Is there a difference between the Outback and the Outback II? My understanding on the Outback II is that they are not user serviceable. I'm waiting on my Form 4 to pick mine up.

Do not put it in a vice and over tighten. you will regret that.

how do you like the can? i've heard good things about it.

I have a GemTech OB-2, and I like it.

BUT this is my first experience with a Suppressor. I can not judge it against others! I guess it is nice to know it can be 'opened' up...too bad GemT., does not produce it as a 'cleanable' can..

Not convinced cleaning is a truly significant issue with/for a .22 Suppressor, but it seems to be a great marketing tool....!

OB II is slightly different than the OB. Mainly the thread insert. They both are assembled in the same manner. I think the OB and OB II are probably the most popular can ever sold in the US, and with good reason. Perform very well, light, priced right.

Gemtech will tear it down and rebuild it for a fee, might be better to go that way if you are unsure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Glocker17</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OB II is slightly different than the OB. Mainly the thread insert. They both are assembled in the same manner. I think the OB and OB II are probably the most popular can ever sold in the US, and with good reason. Perform very well, light, priced right.

Gemtech will tear it down and rebuild it for a fee, might be better to go that way if you are unsure.</div></div>

I also saw on their website that they can upgrade an Outback to an Outback II. It still uses the same can and keeps the same serial number.