• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors GemTech Purchased by Smith & Wesson

TexasGunTrustLawyer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2011
Houston
www.texasguntrust.com
GemTech Purchased by Smith & Wesson

Its finally public. The worst kept secret.

I called it. Smith & Wesson buys Gemtech Silencer. I have said many times that major Firearms manufacturers are going to purchase silencer manufacturers in order to have a ready-made product line with branded silencers to sell with their branded firearms. I theorized that Smith & Wesson would be looking at a Gemtech size company to bring into its fold. And here it is.

Silencer market v3.0. The real question is what effect this will have on the smaller manufacturers in the market.

Economies of scale: They are competing against the economies of scale that Remington, Ruger and Smith & Wesson can generate in their production processes.

Marketing: They are also competing against the marketing of these three large nationally recognized American Firearms manufacturers.

It appears that Smith & Wesson is getting in position for an expansion of the silencer Market. It's a win-win for Smith & Wesson. You've HPA passes, they have a ready-made suppressor for the expansion of the market. If HPA does not pass, they are still in position to co-brand their firearms and sell them with a Smith & Wesson suppressor and expand the market a little slower

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Who knows; maybe they will do M&P15 rebate deal. Buy an M&P15 and get a free GemTech. :eek:
Just kidding!
I really think this will be great for the entire silencer industry. Especially when the HPA gets done.
I own an older GemTech and it is a great product. Not my first one either. It does seem that they kind of faded out of the picture the last couple of years with all the other newer players in the market so I am hoping AOBC can get them back to the top.

Maybe, they'll get the thread length right on the m&p22......

I thought this (in general) was going to happen, where the firearms manufactures would be buying up some of the silencer companies to expand there line. Especially for the chance that HPA goes through. They know it will potentially be a booming (pew-pew-pew) market. Who is next....

Hopefully none of the good ones. Don't wanna see Sico, Tbac, Elite or any of those go over to the dark side. I'd hate to see Liberty go because of their .22 stuff. AAC already went but they seem to have improved in CS. And they are also still AAC.

For some reason I just don't trust firearms maker's accessories in general. Not optics and not suppressors. No reason I guess they can't make good ones, I just like to stick with companies that specialize in one thing. For instance, I'd own a Sig but I wouldn't buy one of their scopes or cans despite how nice they look. And a Ruger, forget about it. If I got to compare 'em side by side with other stuff at the range I may change my mind, but until then I'll stick with what works.

If they buy it but keep it separate like it seems Remington has done, then I'm okay with that I guess. And maybe that's what Sig did only they went the extra step and branded it too. If so, it gives the wrong impression. I do hope that it causes Smith to make suppressor ready designs. I'd like to see a suppressed .44mag 329/629 (they made a few suppressed 29's during Vietnam). Suppressed revolvers in general. And Smith is still my favorite revolver company, although I do still tend for older no key models when possible.

I know my argument is weak, but it's my opinion and my safe so I can put what I want in it.

Hopefully none of the good ones. Don't wanna see Sico, Tbac, Elite or any of those go over to the dark side. I'd hate to see Liberty go because of their .22 stuff. AAC already went but they seem to have improved in CS. And they are also still AAC.

For some reason I just don't trust firearms maker's accessories in general. Not optics and not suppressors. No reason I guess they can't make good ones, I just like to stick with companies that specialize in one thing. For instance, I'd own a Sig but I wouldn't buy one of their scopes or cans despite how nice they look. And a Ruger, forget about it. If I got to compare 'em side by side with other stuff at the range I may change my mind, but until then I'll stick with what works.

If they buy it but keep it separate like it seems Remington has done, then I'm okay with that I guess. And maybe that's what Sig did only they went the extra step and branded it too. If so, it gives the wrong impression. I do hope that it causes Smith to make suppressor ready designs. I'd like to see a suppressed .44mag 329/629 (they made a few suppressed 29's during Vietnam). Suppressed revolvers in general. And Smith is still my favorite revolver company, although I do still tend for older no key models when possible.

I know my argument is weak, but it's my opinion and my safe so I can put what I want in it.

I completely agree. IMO companies that specialize in a product tend to build a better product and because of their devotion to that product. When large conglomerates buy small companies hoping to expand their offering they have to appeal to the general product where as these speciality companies tend to appeal to the 1 percenters. To do this they tend to "dumb down" a product taking the quality out. Hopefully thats not the case but I've experienced their performance center products not being up to par from what I remember the old S&W products being.

Posted by Dr. Phil Dater.

"History repeating itself? 

The CEO of Gemtech, Ron Martinez, was let go just 6 weeks after selling to American Outdoors Brand Company's Smith & Wesson Division. How can S&W/AOBC let such a highly talented and proven performing executive like Martinez go so quickly? 

The defense industry watched a similar event unfold during the Remington buyout of AAC and subsequent sacking of proven leadership which led to AAC suppressors falling behind the industry. At least Brittingham got two years before sacking. S&W/AOBC needs talented people like Martinez, especially considering their last quarter losses. 

AAC all over again. Sigh."

I completely agree. IMO companies that specialize in a product tend to build a better product and because of their devotion to that product. When large conglomerates buy small companies hoping to expand their offering they have to appeal to the general product where as these speciality companies tend to appeal to the 1 percenters. To do this they tend to "dumb down" a product taking the quality out. Hopefully thats not the case but I've experienced their performance center products not being up to par from what I remember the old S&W products being.

Funny, my old no-lock 686+ 6" is such a pleaser my wife said I can't ever get rid of it and my mother even loved it. I paid $200 something in the late 90's for it. Can hit an E-type 5 of 7 shots at 300m standing. Doubt I could find a better one if I tried. The action compared to modern revolvers isn't even close, and the 686 does have MIM parts. My wife's 649 no lock is similar. My 340PD does the job but boy is that a shitty action. It of course has the lock to signify how shitty.

FWIW, I'm not so sure Remington fucked up AAC. Remington didn't hold AAC's R&D back, AAC held AAC's R&D back. I know this for a fact, I use to get into "get back to fucking work" discussions with their R&D guy who was ALWAYS online fighting to prove the worth of his ratchet system. Instead of taking my advice and going with something like Sico (before Sico came out with it) he doubled down instead and went with 90T. I doubled down and bought my last AAC can ever.

I couldn't get a replacement 51T mount for an FAL for YEARS. When I heard Remington bought 'em out, ONE phone call (and a two week wait) and I had a new mount, no questions asked.

So how is Remington, who does have military contracts, bad for AAC, who was a failing company anyway? Maybe Remington hasn't done anything with it yet --obvious as they still have the same lineup. But for AAC to change, they HAD to get rid of the people there in charge because they are the reason AAC has the worst CS of any suppressor company and for multiple reasons. They're lucky Remington was even interested.

FWIW, they always made a decent can but their mounts were just shit and they absolutely would not listen.

Smith COULD fuck up Gemtech --I mean, they do offer some services and weren't going under due to being shitty. They just fell back somehow. I guess I lucked out and bought a custom Glock barrel from them before the buyout --they were one of the VERY few that could and would thread a factory Glock barrel.

Awesome, the company that brought you the Sigma and declining quality wheel guns is getting into pressure vessels........I'll pass.