• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Gemtech Quicksand for precision rifle?

Re: Gemtech Quicksand for precision rifle?

It's not something I would pick for precision work.... Sandstorm would be better IMHO.

I have one, however I don't have a precision rifle. I use mine on AR SBR's, a Handi Rifle, and a Remington Model Seven, all in 300 BLK. Averaging all my rifles together, I can say it does not open up the groups, in some cases it nicely improves groups. When using subsonic ammo, it lowers the impact point. When using supersonic ammo it raises the impact point.

I do want to mention that on my Model Seven, with the Phantom style Quickmount in place, with ammo the rifle likes, but without the suppressor mounted, the groups would rise 4" at 100 yd and would enlarge from 1 1/2" to 3"! With the Vortex Quickmount in place (no suppressor mounted), the groups would rise 2" at 100 yd, but would remain the same size. That Phantom mount was later tried on other rifles and worked fine, not causing the groups to enlarge. The Model Seven has a skinny bbl which is apparently very sensitive. I mention this because unless you intend to shoot 100% suppressed, you will also need to fire for accuracy and impact point with the Quickmount in place w/o a suppressor. I am happy with the suppressor. The rear of it comes apart so you can clean the mounting mechanism and brush out the blast chamber area.

..... like I said, not for precision work. Sandstorm is the better choice.

I bought the gemtech HVT and it is working just fine now. But, it took a pretty decent amount of ammo through it before it stopped misbehaving.
Have 2 friends with Thunderbeast suppressors, and having seen theirs and from everything I have read I would go that route if I were to do it again (for precision work).
Nothing wrong with Gemtech, but seems like Thunderbeast is tops for long range precision work.

My buddy went with a Sandstorm but his nor my 30P-1 is in our hands yet so I can't compare. For the money, I'd go for a 30P-1 or Templar's new can, which is a hell of a deal. I got one of those coming too...

Wee bit of a necropost here - I have a bit of time with a Quicksand and noticed an average REDUCTION of group sizes on a small sample of 2 rifles by an average of .1MOA with both of the loadings that were used.

16" AR-10 platform rifle: .8MOA to .7MOA and .7MOA to .6MOA
20" R700 (both) .7MOA to .6MOA

POI shift will be dependent on a lot of things but happened to be consistent between the two rifles at ~.7MOA low and right.

I have a quicksand and went with the Gem-Tech tension mount. I use it on my Rem 700 SPS AAC-SD that I dropped into a HS stock. Without my can it is a consistent .75 moa gun. I then slap on my can and it gets even better. My groups with it on are just over .5 moa. I run the 175 SMK from Southwest Ammunition. I also run it on both my 16" & 11.5" 5.56 rifles, but with a regular bilock break not the tension mount.

I would highly recommend the tension mount and the quicksand will work great for you.

I forgot to add that if you are wanting a dedicated precision 30 cal can I would probably go with the Sandstorm. It is lighter and shorter. But if you are looking for a multi-rifle QD can and want to get some precision use out of it, the Quicksand with Tension mount will be a great purchase for you.

Having used an HVT, I am NOT a fan of the lockup of can to mount. There was, in the one I used, considerable play, so much so that baffle strikes were inevitable. The setup was sent back to Gemtech and the QD was swapped for a screw-on, which is far superior.

I am not a fan of several QD setups on the market, and Gemtech's is at the very head of that list.

I have spent time with a Sandstorn and liked it, suppressor similar to the Thunderbeast 30P-1 I was shooting along side the Sandstorm.

No one will be able to predict whether your groups on your rifle will shrink/expand/shift, but a few cans are known to "usually" improve things. THe Thunderseast is at the head of that list.

For precision applications, forget the QD and go screw-on.

I have a Sandstorm I use on precision rifles. I've run it on five different rifles and it improved the accuracy of four of them. Minimal shift, its light, and doesn't add a ton of bulk. I think its pretty much understood if you want accuracy, get the thread-on.