• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Gemtech Sandstorm, it’s even better than I thought

Black-X

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2006
Kentucky
<span style="font-style: italic">I posted this over on Arfcom and I figured you guys would be interested in the review on the Gemtech Sandstorm.</span>

This all started with a quick detach HVT on an FN SPR A1a in .308 with the tension bilock mount that I was having accuracy issues with. Over the course of a year I worked with Gemtech and tried many different suggestions to get that setup to work for me but in the end I was without luck, sold the FN, and was out a bit of ammo. I finally reached the decision to sell my HVT at a loss and let someone else try their hand with it (yes, I advised that with my bolt guns the suppressor was causing accuracy issues.). EVERY company produces a lemon and I'm not too suprised that I possibly received one, it happens.

spron6.jpg

Kel at Gemtech saw my posts concerning my troubles and the attempted sale of my HVT suppressor. I’ve had the pleasure of speaking with Kel before but I was downright surprised when he called me regarding my forum posts. To keep it short and to the point, Kel told me he wanted to make me happy since I had tried so hard with the HVT and he was going to replace it. “It won’t be an HVT and I can’t tell you what it is until after the SHOT show. It’s titanium, we built it with precision shooting in mind, and I think you’ll like it”. I’m telling you, this phone call was made out of pure awesome.

Well as awesome as it was that I was going to get a Sandstorm suppressor, we still had to wait for the ATF. I believe I sent off my paperwork towards the end of January and it was approved May the 6th, no idea when Gemtech got my form, but I received the can on May the 27th . Gemtech paid the transfer tax and I also received a box of something extra, but it didn’t come from Gemtech. It actually came from a very generous man who paid out of pocket to make it happen and I don’t think he wants any credit for doing it so I’ll leave it at that..

1003306u.jpg

First thing I notice is this thing is light. Really light. When I hold the Sandstorm in one hand and my LCD equipped Trident 9 in the other, there’s very little difference in weight to my hands. Think about that for a second. The finish is really nice and the build quality of this can is exceptional, as would be expected from a company of this caliber. The anodized grey color matches, well, nothing! But for some reason it looks right at home on my rifle and I don’t know why, but it just looks good. I know it’s supposed to be grey anodize but I’m going to call it tactical grey so I can sleep better tonight.

1003315.png

How does it shoot and sound?! The Sandstorm shoots and sounds like a purposefully built precision rifle can should. I screwed the can on tightly, shot a 5 shot group at 100yds, measured the group and smiled when I saw the results. Then I shot another 5 shot group. And another, and another. Each group was under an inch at 100yds with my reloads so there were many smiles that day. As with any .30cal suppressor the crack of the bullet was the loudest sound and I feel safe shooting this setup without hearing protection. POI shift was quite minimal producing an approximate 1moa shift low at 100yds from unsuppressed to suppressed. To be fair I should have been using a mechanical rest but I simply don’t shoot that way. Parker Hale/AI bipod and a rear bag is it for me. To make matters worse, my target was quite canted and I made adjustments along the way. Regardless of all of this I still had a great run with the suppressor using my reloads (175gr SMK, 43.5gr Varget, FGMM primer, Lapua brass). Everything below was shot at 100yds and I'm hoping to try out the suppressor/rifle combo at 400yds this weekend if the weather will allow it!

groups.jpg

IMHO Gemtech hit this one out of the park and has taken accurate, suppressed shooting to a whole new level with their Sandstorm suppressor. In the world we live in today of bottom lines, outsourcing customer service, cutting costs, and making large profits with inferior products, I am happy to see at least one company going above and beyond to make a customer in Kentucky (of all places) extremely happy with his hard earned purchase. I couldn't be more satisfied with the can, company, or the high level of customer service that I received.

Kel and everyone at Gemtech, thank you.
icon_smile.gif

1003326w.jpg

Re: Gemtech Sandstorm, it’s even better than I thought

Very good.

I've been waiting for a review of the Sandstorm.

I'll be getting a 7.62/.308 can within this year, and this one just jumped to the top of my list.

Thanks for the review!Iwould like to hear more on the Shark Ti can to see how well it stacks up to the Sandstorm.I have heard nothing but good about the Gemtech Sandstorm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">black....what trigger in test rifle please ? </div></div>

Older factory trigger tuned to 2lbs (I believe it was 2lbs) by my gunsmith.

-X

That is class service. I will def deal with them on my upcoming purchase

gem-tech has always been great to deal with for me, i have also talked with Kel and he is a great guy to work with, i have a HVT QD mounted on my armalite SASS and shoot steel @ 1000mtrs with it so no accuracy probs with mine...

I really think highly of Gemtech. The suppressor industry is really cut-throat. Some of us know that more than others. But in an industry like this its nice to know there are some good honest people out there. Gemtech is a great company.

However with that being said you still want a great product. I was very impressed by the engineering that went into the HVT, im even slightly more impressed by the sandstorm although i havent seen its inner-workings.

Im thinking of throwing either a OPS12th model or sandstorm on a 308 rifle of mine. Has anyone here heard the Sandstorm and the 12th model? How do you think they compare in terms of sound reduction?

I know there has been no independent testing done yet on the sandstorm and for good reasons Gemtech no longer posts DB ratings. So im asking those who have heard it if they can tell a difference.

Thanks

PS: Black-X Thanks for the review. It was nice.

The Sandstorm is quieter than the HVT or OPS Inc by an audible margin and quite a bit lighter. The next issue of Special Weapons for M&P will have a short article on it. I used it on an old Savage to check for accuracy and it showed measurable improvement there as well. I do like the HVT for a fast attach system, but the Sandstorm is the way to go for a precision setup where you are mostly going to leave it in place.

Tanks for the update on the can... Been waiting to here a review/comparison on the sandstorm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CoryT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Sandstorm is quieter than the HVT or OPS Inc by an audible margin and quite a bit lighter. The next issue of Special Weapons for M&P will have a short article on it. I used it on an old Savage to check for accuracy and it showed measurable improvement there as well. I do like the HVT for a fast attach system, but the Sandstorm is the way to go for a precision setup where you are mostly going to leave it in place. </div></div>

I thought that Sandstorm was a bit quieter than the HVT but I went months in between when shooting them since this was a replacement.

I know a guy with an AWC .308 can and I may see if we can shoot these side by side and compare them. I also met a guy recently who has an AAC can so I'll see if we can test them side by side, too. If you are in the eastern KY, southern OH, or western WV with an OPS or any other .308 can to compare with, hit me up and maybe we can get a suppressed shoot together. I am a member at a 400yd range here and we can make a day or at least part of a day of it.

-X

Re: Gemtech Sandstorm (400yd update)

We went and shot at 400yds today and other than fighting the crazy wind and rediculous amounts of mirage, we had a good day. [BD]

-X

Wind KILLED me here.
1003409.jpg

My spotter didn't see where these were hitting each time (wind was rocking his spotting scope and trying to look through the soup) so I stopped at 7 shots. Wind grabbed ahold of 1 but the other 6 were mighty, mighty fine. [:D]
1003415.jpg

Even with my one shot that the wind grabbed up, still very close to MOA.
1003416a.jpg

Don't mind the .224 size holes. Prvi 75gr stuff out of the AR wasn't working out as well as previous trips at 400yds. Had a bad day with the AR since I messed with the Leupy Mk4 that was on there. [V] Decent group with the .308 however.
1003417j.jpg

My dealer has a box of Sandstorms.
I'm bringing my money in tomorrow!

Putting it on a RRA LAR-8 Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

Thanks for the reviews, guys.

Paperwork is sent, now the wait......
ss_actual.jpg

Nice review of the new can. I have a n00b question of the hide. I notice that some when measuring there shot groups, measure from the “Outside” to “Outside” of the hole. This is an incorrect way to measure, it should be “Center” to Center” of the holes to get an accurate reading. I only say this, because the posted pics have a better accuracy then the poster is showing.
wink.gif
Any thoughts on this?

Mike

Simply subtract the bullet diameter. It's simpler thn trying to find the center of two holes. One can also go from outside edge to inside edge.

I appreciete the time you took to put this together, however, like the paid article in Special Weapons this month, it doens't speak to the primary measure of a suppressor. dB reduction/oz.

Most rifle suppressor companies seem to have conquered the POI shit repeatability, and accurcy improvements.

As a consumer, I want to push sound reduction performance per oz as the price setting measure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DustyJacket</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My dealer has a box of Sandstorms.
I'm bringing my money in tomorrow!

Putting it on a RRA LAR-8 Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

Thanks for the reviews, guys.

Paperwork is sent, now the wait......
ss_actual.jpg
</div></div>

Rediculously light, isn't it!
wink.gif

-X

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RUM Lover</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I appreciete the time you took to put this together, however, like the paid article in Special Weapons this month, it doens't speak to the primary measure of a suppressor. dB reduction/oz.

Most rifle suppressor companies seem to have conquered the POI shit repeatability, and accurcy improvements.

As a consumer, I want to push sound reduction performance per oz as the price setting measure. </div></div>

I don't know what to tell you about this as I don't have a way to measure the sound. Tone is subjective so I can't give you clear cut answer here either. I will tell you that it is hearing safe to my ears and as light and small as this can is, the db reduction per oz. has got to be good (the fact that this can is so light makes it almost unfair! lol).

I met a guy at the range recently who has one of the AAC 30cal cans and I'll see if we can't find a way to compare them head to head. However, this guy was saying he was pretty sure his AAC can (no idea which model) was causing accuracy issues with his rifle.

-X

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Black-X</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DustyJacket</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Paperwork is sent, now the wait......
ss_actual.jpg
</div></div>

Rediculously light, isn't it!
wink.gif

-X </div></div>
Very light.
Not a lot heavier than my 9mm can, and lighter than a Jet .30 Titanium can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what do you use to clean the Sandstorm? Does titanium allow use of any kind of solvents for the lead? Thinking of getting one for a project .260 build. Manufactures should really start looking to making cans for 6mm range of calibers. </div></div>

I've never cleaned a centerfire can that I can remember..

-X

I'm going to resurrect this thread. I Have 5 cans so am not unfamiliar with them. I want to get a can for my .30 cal guns and am seriously thinking the Gemtech Quicksand. I want to suppress my 5R, Noveske N6 and M1A. I would go with the Vortex QD an all of them.

My question being, now that you guys have been using the sandstorm has your opinion changed. Has anyone used the Quicksand?

Thanks in advance for input,
Darkop

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Darkop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm going to resurrect this thread. I Have 5 cans so am not unfamiliar with them. I want to get a can for my .30 cal guns and am seriously thinking the Gemtech Quicksand. I want to suppress my 5R, Noveske N6 and M1A. I would go with the Vortex QD an all of them.

My question being, now that you guys have been using the sandstorm has your opinion changed. Has anyone used the Quicksand?

Thanks in advance for input,
Darkop

</div></div>

The Sandstorm and the Quicksand being Titanium I would advise you to not run them for extended length of time on a semi auto. Titanium does not do so well with long strands of fire on a semi auto which leads to very high heat. You can see a large change in accuracy and suppression. IMHO

DFOOSKING said:
what do you use to clean the Sandstorm? Does titanium allow use of any kind of solvents for the lead? Thinking of getting one for a project .260 build. Manufactures should really start looking to making cans for 6mm range of calibers. [/
quote]
They do, 6.8 cans are damn close

this thread makes me feel good. I have a quickmount HVT that I am waiting on the paperwork so I can bring it home.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Sandstorm and the Quicksand being Titanium I would advise you to not run them for extended length of time on a semi auto. Titanium does not do so well with long strands of fire on a semi auto which leads to very high heat. You can see a large change in accuracy and suppression. IMHO</div></div>

Wonder why that is....titanium is highly resistant to heat, although I have no idea what alloy they use for suppressors. The shiny part of the jet surrounding the engines in my avatar is titanium.

Do happen to have any pics of the rifle without the suppressor mounted. Kind of wanted to see what the mount looks like on the rifle.

Any further input on running a Sandstorm? I am considering one to use with multiple calibers (7.62 & 5.56) and am impressed with the light weight. Also, can anyone comment on Elite Iron suppressors?

TG

Waiting on my form 4 to return so I can start shooting my Sandstorm. Can't wait! It is really quiet, Cory from gunsite has one, he let me check it out, and I was sold. I talked to some employees from Gemtech at Shot really nice people.

So far I have used my Sandstorm on two platforms - 30-06 bolt gun and on an AR-10 260rem.

This can is definitely quieter than the Coastal I have used in the past

POI shift has actually up 1/2" on the '06 and down only 1" on the 260. Way less movement than the previous can.

I can only guess - haha tha the harmonics have improved as accuracy has been significantly better with the Sandstorm.

Now if Gemtech will make a Ti can for .338 I would be on board.

I just got a call from my smith. He was threading a new kreiger barrel for me to work with my Sanstorm. He happen to be inspecting it under his gunsmith goggles and said he saw small cracks in he welds on both ends. He threaded the can on and as he started to unthread it, he heard a crack and the whole can came apart. The end cap came off. Weld broke. I have only shoot it less than 40 times on my 300 win. rifle. I had called Gemtech last week about this can. I had heard the baffles rattle when I shook the can. They said don't worry, it was probably just the baffles had compressed a little and I can return it or I can just keep shooting it and when it got more carbon build up it would fix itself. I am sure they will fix it, but I am scheduled for Rifles only 6 day class in about 3 weeks.

I am a little nervous now after reading this thread. I have an HVT on order and plan on using on 300WSM. Gemtech says it will be fine (QD model btw) but I am looking to get long range accuracy and something that won't break. Hope I didnt waste my money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wattsdk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got a call from my smith. He was threading a new kreiger barrel for me to work with my Sanstorm. He happen to be inspecting it under his gunsmith goggles and said he saw small cracks in he welds on both ends. He threaded the can on and as he started to unthread it, he heard a crack and the whole can came apart. The end cap came off. Weld broke. I have only shoot it less than 40 times on my 300 win. rifle. I had called Gemtech last week about this can. I had heard the baffles rattle when I shook the can. They said don't worry, it was probably just the baffles had compressed a little and I can return it or I can just keep shooting it and when it got more carbon build up it would fix itself. I am sure they will fix it, but I am scheduled for Rifles only 6 day class in about 3 weeks. </div></div>

Your saying the weld broke, from cracks in the weld of the end cap? You must have an older model because the most recent sandstorm I picked up has no welds that are visible to me. So, the weld breaks as he is threading the end cap back on and your can falls apart or the baffles come out?

I am more then confused from your post on what really happened. Are you sure you have the story straight?

I'd heard that the weld was designed that way (i.e breakable), so the endcaps could be removed and internals accessed for repair. Not sure if it's true, however, this is the second time I've heard of the weld letting go on a Sandstorm. Obviously, the weld is not supposed to break under normal use. Sorry to hear about your bad luck.

That seems counter productive to make a weld that COULD be broken. I understand why they made it manufacturer serviceable but they are going to take a hit in repairs it sounds like with these questionable welds.... both of mine however shoot great and I have never had an issue.

Gemtech called me back Monday and I sent it off to them. The guy that called said they had a problem with the welding, and have since changed the process. They are going to bump it to the head of the repair line and get it back to me asap. As far as older model, The can is about 1.5 years old. Bought it in Jan. 2010. All 3 guys I have talked to at Gemtech, none said anything about the weld being designed to break to service the can.

What are the prices of these cans that you have mentioned?:) Where is a good place to look into buying one?
smile.gif

I am new to the whole can thing, but would want the biggest bang for my buck.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wattsdk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gemtech called me back Monday and I sent it off to them. The guy that called said they had a problem with the welding, and have since changed the process. They are going to bump it to the head of the repair line and get it back to me asap. As far as older model, The can is about 1.5 years old. Bought it in Jan. 2010. All 3 guys I have talked to at Gemtech, none said anything about the weld being designed to break to service the can. </div></div>

Thats what I was thinking. I dont see why you would weld anything and expect it to break loose. My older can has goldish welds around the end cap and rear cap. The newest one I just picked up has no visible welds at all.

I'd say Gemtech will take care of you.

6.5 I paid 11 and change for mine I think. I would suggest you find a local FFL to deal with so you are not transferring paperwork and making wait time even longer as its not a speedy process to begin with but its worth the wait.