• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gemtech Suppressed Bolt Carrier does not fit into the upper receiver

sorvanetzsorv

Private
Minuteman
Aug 21, 2018
I have a brand new Gemtech Suppressed Bolt Carrier GSBC-5.56 that I purchased a while back but have never had a chance to use before. I am trying to install it into a mil-spec upper receiver and it cannot go in. The valve flange that is used to switch the mode from suppressed to unsuppressed seems to be sticking out a little bit too much (maybe by 1/16") and it hangs on the side of the upper receiver preventing the bolt carrier from going in. The valve is very easy to take out and put back in. So, I have tried reseating the valve several times, and the valve is definitely fully seated and cannot be pushed in any further. I tried several different mil-spec upper receivers - and the result is exactly the same. It seems to me that the valve is a little bit too long. I wonder if anybody has faced this problem and if there is any way of fixing it.

The problem is that Gemtech has been bought by S&W and the current Gemtech support is not in Idaho anymore, but just regular S&W support in Springfield, MA. This suppressed bolt carrier seems to be discontinued - no traces of it on the Gemtech website. If I am correct that the valve is out of spec, then the only remedy seems to be to replace the valve. I called Gemtech tech support and got some S&W people who know nothing about this product and cannot tell me if repair parts are still available. The only option they offered is to send the bolt carrier to them at my own expense, and then they will check it, and if they do not have the parts to repair it, they will return it to me. All my pleas to check if a replacement valve is still available were to no avail. I would appreciate any help.

Attachments

• GSBC-5.56.jpg
    GSBC-5.56.jpg
    440.5 KB · Views: 46
I wasn't aware this product ever got sold to begin with. I vaguely remember it being announced.

Can you take some pictures of the valve? Is it possible that maybe some material could be removed from it without damaging the function of it? It could also be that the pocket it sits in was not machined deep enough?

Yes, this BCG was widely available for a few years:

Judging by the alignment on the left and right sides of the BCG, the pocket seems to be fine. Machining to reduce the protrusion of the valve flange is probably possible but should be very delicate, and the valve will need to be melonited again. Such a project will likely cost more than the whole new suppressed BCG such as Bootleg:

I hope for an easier solution, but I realize it may not exist.

Attachments

• GSBC-5.56-right -valve.jpg
    GSBC-5.56-right -valve.jpg
    411.9 KB · Views: 42
  • GSBC-5.56-left-valve.jpg
    GSBC-5.56-left-valve.jpg
    423.2 KB · Views: 38
  • GSBC-5.56-right.jpg
    GSBC-5.56-right.jpg
    500.5 KB · Views: 40
  • GSBC-5.56-left.jpg
    GSBC-5.56-left.jpg