• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors GemTech Tracker in PRS

Mr.Horsepower89

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2017
Has anyone used the Gemtech tracker for PRS? From what I read on Gemtech's website it is 10 rounds/ minute limit which should fit into most PRS stages. The one thing they say is no cover because it retains too much heat. Maybe someone has some experience or advice thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpDm2P3mTz4 great review with 20 rounds fired as fast as it can loaded.

Yes, yes I do. I like it so much I have bought two, one to live on my primary long range rifle and another to move around to various rifles. It was originally designed for a foreign country sniper rifles and adapted to USA market after contract was fulfilled.

tri light by ChorizoUSMC, on Flickr

10 rounds 308 win 100 yards fired in less than 5 minutes

0708161458 by ChorizoUSMC, on Flickr

rem 7 by ChorizoUSMC, on Flickr

I would go with the Thunder beast ultra 9 or 7 because its made of titanium and the Tracker is Aluminum. Plus you can put a cover on it and not worry about the heat off the can screwing up you sight picture

I place a short silicone cover on the end so that some protection is provided without much heat retention. It does cool very quickly.

Most people have cans WAY overbuilt for their needs and pay a premium for that. You could potentially buy close to 3 trackers for the price of the above recommend can.

@ Chorizo thanks for the information and nice pictures of set up. That group is tough to beat. Does that small cover provide enough to deal with mirage after 10 rounds ? I watched that review and that guy didnt seem bothered by the 20 rounds at all. I am not sure how detrimental it would be to shoot a stage with a cover and immediately remove it to allow it to cool.

@ Culater I have had a tracker and recently got into PRS so I am looking into using what I have.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

@ Chorizo thanks for the information and nice pictures of set up. That group is tough to beat. Does that small cover provide enough to deal with mirage after 10 rounds ? I watched that review and that guy didnt seem bothered by the 20 rounds at all. I am not sure how detrimental it would be to shoot a stage with a cover and immediately remove it to allow it to cool..

Mirage hasn't been much of an issue, but I really keep the cover on it to provide "bump" protection more than mirage issues as I seem to routinely tap the end of it when moving. The 10 rounds in under 5 minutes caused very little mirage.....one hell of a lots less than my Hybrid on a 338 WM after 4 rounds!. I was told by a very knowledgeable Gemtech rep who is a friend of mine (I live where gemtech is made) that when the can hits 800 degrees F it will fail and reliably so at that temp. As you can see 20 rounds gave him right at 220 degrees, so there is plenty of room there. I have seen ZERO POI shift at it heats up in any of my guns. I run the second can on a 223 rem model 7, 243 ruger 77 mk 1, and 30-06 win mod 70 and don't have issues on them at all.

I think you will be happy with it in the PRS mode. The only drawback I see is the life of a aluminum can will be shorter, but then again you can get a couple of trackers for the price of one of the others.

Mirage hasn't been much of an issue, but I really keep the cover on it to provide "bump" protection more than mirage issues as I seem to routinely tap the end of it when moving. The 10 rounds in under 5 minutes caused very little mirage.....one hell of a lots less than my Hybrid on a 338 WM after 4 rounds!. I was told by a very knowledgeable Gemtech rep who is a friend of mine (I live where gemtech is made) that when the can hits 800 degrees F it will fail and reliably so at that temp. As you can see 20 rounds gave him right at 220 degrees, so there is plenty of room there. I have seen ZERO POI shift at it heats up in any of my guns. I run the second can on a 223 rem model 7, 243 ruger 77 mk 1, and 30-06 win mod 70 and don't have issues on them at all.

I think you will be happy with it in the PRS mode. The only drawback I see is the life of a aluminum can will be shorter, but then again you can get a couple of trackers for the price of one of the others.

O wow thats some great info. I will do some testing with mine and my cover at 5 and 10 rounds and see what my temps get. Like you said it may not last that long but I can have it rebuilt or buy another like you mentioned.

Just remember by putting a cover on it and shooting it more than 10 rounds without letting it cool to ambient temperature will likely void the warranty if you have an issue (which based upon my experience over the last year you won't).

Tone and sound reduction is good, especially in comparison to my other cans. I have a Gemtech One and the Tracker "seems to me" quieter and with less "twang" than the One....but that is just personal observation with no empirical data to back that.. It certainly has less POI shift when on a thin barrel. My one (16 ozs) shifted my 308 precision gun about 1.5 MOA down and to the left at 7:30, where the Tracker (11 ozs) shifted it about 1/2 that, somewhere around 3/4 MOA left and low at 8: Both were repeatable But the Tracker lives on there so I rarely remove it.

Surprisingly on my Rem 7 223 the shift was negligible..less than 1/4 MOA