• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Gen 1 Trijicon MRO...worth it to send in to Trijicon for new glass?

eugevita

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2020
Recently purchased a lightly used MRO with a 13k serial number from a friend. Just realized this is an early model that has the 1.05x magnification in the glass.

From those of you who have experience with the early MROs, is it worth sending it to Trijicon to get the glass changed to the true 1X? If not a not a big deal I may not send it. Appreciate any thoughts!

It really depends on you, people's eyes are different and some things bother some people more than others. If it was me I'd absolutely send it in for a refit, but I know other guys that have them, love them and the magnification does not bother them in the least. Some of it certainly has to do if you shoot with 1 vs 2 eyes open and where the optic is mounted. I'd try it out, see if you like it, if it bugs you then depending on the cost it may or may not be worth it to have it swapped out.

Funny part is I remember trying one when they first came out and it was such a fiasco of arguing across forums that the optics were 0.0x or had some magnification or something was "not quite right" with them optically, then it finally came out there was some magnification but then you had more arguing of if it mattered or not. Seems like Trijicon changed to a true 1.0x optic around SN 89,000.

Reactions: eugevita
Hmmm...I have one SN in the 88k range and I think another in the 84k range... have not noticed any magnification. I'll have to check tomorrow.

FWIW, I have had the objective lens repaired/replaced in an MRO. It was $53 or so. Turn around time was reasonable.

Not sure if they've upgraded the glass on all the MROs since the release of the HD, but there is a noticeable bump up in image quality with the HD. If (and that's a big if) the glass has trickled down, it may be worth it just for that (not that the older glass is sub-par).

I didn't realize they would do this glass change. Does it eliminate the dark tint also?! I'd say well worth it for me.

I didn't realize they would do this glass change. Does it eliminate the dark tint also?! I'd say well worth it for me.
I dont know if they will use the different glass.

I do know that the HD has clearer glass (no tint).

I did have an older MRO that needed a new objective. They replaced it for around $53. There was no HD at the time.

What I don't know is whether they have started using a clearer glass on all the MROs or not. If they have, then a lens swap would probably mean getting the clear glass.

Reactions: Frank_Castle
The only MRO's that don't have any magnification are the newest HD version. Trijicon fixing them past a certain serial number, was, and always has been BS. All of the regular ones are terrible.

I'm not a Trijicon hater, this isn't that. I still own 2 SRO's and 3 RMR's, but honestly, they're not really 1x either and have magnification too.

Any/all of the $100-200 Holosun T1/T2 clones are worlds better than an MRO.

Trijicon has continued to sell them for years in part due to positive reviews from fucking idiots like this one:

While most of the Guntubers are afraid of pissing off a big name like Trijicon, there are at least a couple honest reviews out there:

Last edited:
The only MRO's that don't have any magnification are the newest HD version. Trijicon fixing them past a certain serial number, was, and always has been BS. All of the regular ones are terrible.

I'm not a Trijicon hater, this isn't that. I still own 2 SRO's and 3 RMR's, but honestly, they're not really 1x either and have magnification too.

Any/all of the $100-200 Holosun T1/T2 clones are worlds better than an MRO.

Trijicon has continued to sell them for years in part due to positive reviews from fucking idiots like this one:

While most of the Guntubers are afraid of pissing off a big name like Trijicon, there are at least a couple honest reviews out there:

Meh...

I honestly think that the MRO (even the old ones) are objectively better than T2s for a very specific set of reasons, which are a priority for me. We use T2s at work, but when it comes to spending my own money, I find the MRO to be a vastly superior value for what I would call no comparative loss in performance against the T2.

Meh...

I honestly think that the MRO (even the old ones) are objectively better than T2s for a very specific set of reasons, which are a priority for me. We use T2s at work, but when it comes to spending my own money, I find the MRO to be a vastly superior value for what I would call no comparative loss in performance against the T2.

No way.

As someone who also used to use a T2 for work, I almost don't believe you.

There's nothing an MRO objectively does better than a T2 (or a Holosun or anything else) because it fails at it's primary purpose: you can't see through it correctly.

Truthfully, 9 out of 10 times, if you see guy running an MRO, you can pretty much bet he doesn't know how to use a red dot correctly and doesn't shoot with both eyes open... because if he did, it'd give him a fucking headache in no time, and he'd get something else.

Reactions: ToddM
No way.

As someone who also used to use a T2 for work, I almost don't believe you.

There's nothing an MRO objectively does better than a T2 (or a Holosun or anything else) because it fails at it's primary purpose: you can't see through it correctly.

Truthfully, 9 out of 10 times, if you see guy running an MRO, you can pretty much bet he doesn't know how to use a red dot correctly and doesn't shoot with both eyes open... because if he did, it'd give him a fucking headache in no time, and he'd get something else.
🤣

Reactions: plong
Uh oh. I hope my conjecture didn't spawn false hope. 😬😳

It seems the gen 1 current lenses still have blue blockers (tint), so no escaping that. Trijicon is nice enough to send a call tag to evaluate if its as dark as its current configuration. I may take them up on the offer cause at this point I don't even want to put it on less favored platforms, essentially dust collectors.

The tint doesn't seem bad outdoors on a bright day. But my tint makes a dim lit room noticably darker. Its there to lengthen the battery life. To me I would rather spin a battery cap off once in a while to have a better view. If i have time I'll try to get some pics of how COOL the tint is.

I'll keep my serial 0341 just because thats just pure destiny for me.

Shill alert.

@ 4:40 "Cause anyone knows the MRO dot is extremely crisp... I could not get my cAmErA to focus"....No- that is how bad it looks and why Trijicon now states it is not designed to magnify. I am not to sure they were so open with that upon release of it.

I’m not an operator by any means, but have shot many matches using a mro and I shoot with both eyes open. Never had any issues, but to be fair I am Asian so both eyes open could be considered 1 eye open.

• Haha
Reactions: Frank_Castle
It seems the gen 1 current lenses still have blue blockers (tint), so no escaping that. Trijicon is nice enough to send a call tag to evaluate if its as dark as its current configuration. I may take them up on the offer cause at this point I don't even want to put it on less favored platforms, essentially dust collectors.

The tint doesn't seem bad outdoors on a bright day. But my tint makes a dim lit room noticably darker. Its there to lengthen the battery life. To me I would rather spin a battery cap off once in a while to have a better view. If i have time I'll try to get some pics of how COOL the tint is.

I'll keep my serial 0341 just because thats just pure destiny for me.

Shill alert.

@ 4:40 "Cause anyone knows the MRO dot is extremely crisp... I could not get my cAmErA to focus"....No- that is how bad it looks and why Trijicon now states it is not designed to magnify. I am not to sure they were so open with that upon release of it.

I never would have guessed that the tint was a battery thing.

Could explain why the HD has somewhat less battery life (about half with just the dot on setting 3).

Thats pretty cool about the serial number!

Last edited:

@eugevita

Forgot to mention the turn around time is 8-10 weeks. Possibly no cost if they consider it warranty.

"If serial number is under 89000, we would be willing to upgrade your MRO lens for a fee of around $53. The Trijicon MRO Manufactured before Serial number 89,000 did have a very slight magnification tolerance of 1.00x - 1.05x which is within the range of competitive reflex-style sight. Responding to customer feedback Trijicon adjusted the magnification in MROs with a serialnumber of 89,000 or higher to have a magnification tolerance of 1.00x +/- 0x, or no magnification.

If it is found that the magnification exceeds the 1.05x allowance, then of course that would be covered, since the tolerance only allowed for up to 1.05x. If it happens to fall within the original factory specification of 1.00-1.05x, then it will not be covered under warranty, and is an upgrade to the new revision".

Reactions: eugevita

@eugevita

Forgot to mention the turn around time is 8-10 weeks. Possibly no cost if they consider it warranty.

"If serial number is under 89000, we would be willing to upgrade your MRO lens for a fee of around $53. The Trijicon MRO Manufactured before Serial number 89,000 did have a very slight magnification tolerance of 1.00x - 1.05x which is within the range of competitive reflex-style sight. Responding to customer feedback Trijicon adjusted the magnification in MROs with a serialnumber of 89,000 or higher to have a magnification tolerance of 1.00x +/- 0x, or no magnification.

If it is found that the magnification exceeds the 1.05x allowance, then of course that would be covered, since the tolerance only allowed for up to 1.05x. If it happens to fall within the original factory specification of 1.00-1.05x, then it will not be covered under warranty, and is an upgrade to the new revision".
Interesting...

Explains some of the mixed information on the magnification.

To my eyes, there is no magnification, but, definitely tint.

The newer ones I've used have a crisper dot than the older ones (I've used 4 different ones, including one HD).

Seems like a no brainer for them to swap to the clearer glass for you, especially of its at your expense. A turn around of 10 weeks seems like a moot point if its not mounted on anything. I wonder if they'd do it if enough people asked them to....

Last edited: