• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Gen 2 PST vs Gen 1 Razor HD

Anchor Zero Six

Problem Solver
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2007
Corona Komifornia
Are there enough G2 PST's in the wild to make a fair and direct comparison between the two.

Looking at 20x and 25x models specificly for 6.5 cm use.

Price isnt a factor in this case.

Reticles, Tracking, Eybox, Knobs etc are what Im primarily looking for info on.

I could be wrong but I "thought" that the new G2 PST is using same glass as G1 Razor HD so probably no need to discuss that unless what I heard was wrong.

Thanks as always for sharing info.

A06

I know they are absolutely not using the same glass....

If you go with a Gen 1, I believe MHS has a deal for $1600 for a Gen 1 with a free Spuhr mount.

I have a Gen I Razor

Pros: tons of elevation adjustment, tracking is excellent, good glass for the price (in my opinion)
Cons: reticle too thick for small targets past 15x, eyebox gets a little tight past 15x

I know it's not a perfect comparison, but my old gen I PST had very little elevation and it was a pain

if you're gonna shoot small targets at relatively close distances (inside 800ish), go Pst gen ii. If you're gonna stretch it out on a bit larger targets, I'd go Razor Gen I

The reticle is the same thickness at 15x as it is at 20x as it's FFP. Doesn't cover anymore of what target.

The retixle on the Razor is thicker than the PST gen II however at .06 mils vs .034 mils. Something to consider.

My apologies, I should have clarified I'm not a huge fan in terms of how thick the reticle is in the view of the scope, not how much of the target it covers (reticle thickness as a percentage of FOV is higher at higher mags). Kinda nitpicky for sure I'll admit it, but just my finding. I think the razor really excels in the mid powers, and I genuinely find the reticle to be useable down to 5x which is helpful for holdovers on coyotes (my scopes and rifles pull double/triple duty generally). Also in terms of durability, I can't speak to the gen II pst but my gen I pst reticle was canted and had to be sent back to vortex from driving 12 hours from Wisconsin to SD with some rough roads in there while my razor has been rock solid.

My apologies, I should have clarified I'm not a huge fan in terms of how thick the reticle is in the view of the scope, not how much of the target it covers (reticle thickness as a percentage of FOV is higher at higher mags). Kinda nitpicky for sure I'll admit it, but just my finding. I think the razor really excels in the mid powers, and I genuinely find the reticle to be useable down to 5x which is helpful for holdovers on coyotes (my scopes and rifles pull double/triple duty generally).

No need to apologize but that is my point in that the reticle is the same size in relation to the target on any power. It covers no more of the target or is any thinner at 5x than it is at 20x. Not FOV. The actual thickness of the reticle. FFP reticles stay the same in relation to the target. It appears to get smaller at lower power but so is the target.

I'm going back and forth right now on both of these scopes as well for my new Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 CM as I'm hoping to get some distance out of this thing. One of the things that is tilting the Razor in a big plus for me is all the internal elevation adjustment that there is as well as being able to take this off of the RPR once I get good at shooting it and want to move up into a higher quality rifle then I can take this scope with me, so it's like an investment. I've been a Vortex fan for a while and like the price of the PST Gen 2 better; however, since I'm thinking of it as more of an investment I don't mind terribly moving into that $1,500-$1,600 category unless my thinking is totally flawed.

+1 for gen 1 razor
I have no experience with a gen 2 pst but I've heard it's about 75% off the scope the gen 1 razor is

If price isn't a factor, no brainer, Razor! I shoot a gen 1 PST because price is a factor for me. They are not using gen 1 Razor glass in the gen 2 PST, that is straight from Vortex. Go with the Razor, you won't be disappointed.

I don't have a gen 2 PST but I do have a few gen1s and a gen 1 razor. If I were looking at a medium to longs range rifle to scope, I would pick the Gen1 razor hand down. It has great glass internal adjustment and has a history of good tracking. Well I am sure the gen 2 pst will be a very viable scope however it is cheaper then the gen 1 razor and there is a reason for that. The razor is a better scope, you get what you pay for. Now if it comes down to money then yes I would definitely use the pst.

I just sold my Gen 1 Razor. It's far superior to the PST in pretty much every way. The only reason I sold it is because I'm going to move up the ladder to a Razor Gen 2 to get that (reportedly) insane eyebox, wider magnification range, and infinite zero.

Thanks for all of the replies. Have owned 2 of the gen 1Razors when they first came out and were going fot around $2k.

I had just heard around the local shops that the new G2 PST was sharing same glass and was more comparable to the now dated G1 Razor.

From the replies this does not seem to be the case and the Razor is still the superior optic between the two.

Another factor is availability, experticity has G1 Razors whilr G2 PST are a few months in backorder.

I've owned the Razor G1 and G2, the PST G1 and the PST G2. PST G2 is by far better than the PST G1. I'm not saying that is on par with the Razor G1 but many of the responses here talked about the PST first generation. IMHO if I were to spend $1000 I would go with the PST G2 but if I were to spend $1500 I would save a little more and would get a Razor G2 that is obtainable for around $2000. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: Theanswer4
You could pick up a used in very good shape gen 11 razor,and if weight is not an issue you would be very happy.I have a gen 11 razor and it is a lot of scope for the money.

Missing the point of staying within the rules of that class. If I'm going to shoot outside the class Id just run a PM2 or try the Minox. Hell I could pick up a new Rzr 2 for under the cap but the rule isnt based on what you paid but rather the MSRP.