• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision Rifle Gear Gen 3 fat bastard or 419 hellfire match? Help me decide!

Which one for 6.5 creed

• Total voters

Simonsza1

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2014
So I’m curious which one wins cause it’s narrowed down to one of these two. Gen 3 apa fat bastard or
Area419 hellfire match
Going on 6.5 creed

I’m fully invested in the 419 ecosystem with adapters and brakes so I’m biased but it’s so easy to move silencers around I have no complaints.

I only use FB gen 3 for any rifle not suppressed.

I have also started using MBM.

Insite Heathen (though I know you didn't present it as an option). It's more pleasant to shoot, as the port geometry is designed to mitigate concussion going back to the shooter. Personally I think its the most refined self timing brake out there, but that's just my opinion.

The Area419 probably does the best job out of all the brakes I've tried of staying "snug"/tight on the barrel. However, this is a pro and a con, as I've found with every one of my 419 brakes that the brake is prone to getting stuck to the adapter. This has happened with every one of my A419 brakes, and at a very low round count. Don't try to remove with your bare hands, as the ports are very sharp, almost like cheese graters.

I haven't tried the Gen3 Fat Bastards. The top port designs are an interesting idea, though not sure how well they work. APA brakes have always done a good job at mitigating recoil. However, like the Area419, they do throw some concussion back to the shooter based on their port geometry.

Bonus suggestion: skip the muzzle brakes and get a suppressor :cool:

Reactions: Simonsza1
I already have some thunderbeast and obviously love them. Just thinking for this season of trying the brake to help mitigate a little more of the recoil. Going completely against my normal stance and suggestion which is typically exactly what you said, “skip the muzzle brake and get a suppressor” 🤦‍♂️

I already have some thunderbeast and obviously love them. Just thinking for this season of trying the brake to help mitigate a little more of the recoil. Going completely against my normal stance and suggestion which is typically exactly what you said, “skip the muzzle brake and get a suppressor” 🤦‍♂️

It's always worth experimenting and trying new things, perhaps you'll like the muzzle brake better.

I just happen to be going the other way, I find shooting suppressed to be much more pleasant.

Well dam, even though a drop in the hat in this sport I surely don’t want to waste $200. Maybe I should listen to the guy on my good shoulder.

If you already have tbac cans then the 419 is the answer as you can mount the suppressor and brake on their same adapter if you’re using the CB setup.

I’ve had the Fat bastard gen three, I have the area 419 system for swapping suppressors and brakes and I personally like the Heathen brake for my match rifle like @kthomas suggested. The apa and area 419 hellfire brakes sent too much concussion back towards me to not worry about developing bad habits(for sustained practice). The heathen is perfect for a brake IMO. I will caveat that I have not tried the are 419 Hellfire match yet so if anyone has tried that one specifically in comparison to the others I would love hear about their experience.

I’ve had the Fat bastard gen three, I have the area 419 system for swapping suppressors and brakes and I personally like the Heathen brake for my match rifle like @kthomas suggested. The apa and area 419 hellfire brakes sent too much concussion back towards me to not worry about developing bad habits(for sustained practice). The heathen is perfect for a brake IMO. I will caveat that I have not tried the are 419 Hellfire match yet so if anyone has tried that one specifically in comparison to the others I would love hear about their experience.
I forgot that they changed up the port geometry on their new match version.

Given that new information, I would pick the A419 instead of the APA, if those are the only two options.

Ya I get that obviously. Just not sure what he meant using a hellfire or fat bastard brake with a can? Last time I checked it was one or the other.

Ok, I gotcha. Ya area419 has there system to put a adapter in your suppressor and then one in many rifles to be able to switch back and forth. Same page now 😎

Reactions: Chesapeake
EFB93069-F249-4E0B-B281-EEA6EA25FFF3.jpeg
Thanks for the votes guys and possibly gals, after much deliberation you see the results. Showed up yesterday. On to testing this weekend. Thanks

Reactions: TheDave and Jnull
Insite Heathen (though I know you didn't present it as an option). It's more pleasant to shoot, as the port geometry is designed to mitigate concussion going back to the shooter. Personally I think its the most refined self timing brake out there, but that's just my opinion.

The Area419 probably does the best job out of all the brakes I've tried of staying "snug"/tight on the barrel. However, this is a pro and a con, as I've found with every one of my 419 brakes that the brake is prone to getting stuck to the adapter. This has happened with every one of my A419 brakes, and at a very low round count. Don't try to remove with your bare hands, as the ports are very sharp, almost like cheese graters.

I haven't tried the Gen3 Fat Bastards. The top port designs are an interesting idea, though not sure how well they work. APA brakes have always done a good job at mitigating recoil. However, like the Area419, they do throw some concussion back to the shooter based on their port geometry.

Bonus suggestion: skip the muzzle brakes and get a suppressor :cool:
For the 419 brakes, try to continue to turn the collar to the right (loosening the brake) until the threads unseat the brake from the tapered adapter. I have had this issue before but once kept turning the collar through that tight resistance, they all pop right off. Use that mechanical advantage of the threads to your advantage.

Reactions: kthomas
Im running all ports open on my Gen 3 LB and the muzzle rise is still there with 300 win Mag. Recoil is reduced from stock but after 100 rd my shoulder is still fairly sore. Recovered within a week without bruising but I do have a Limbsaver and a thin recoil pad.

Without a brake, I am done after 40 rd. My shoulder has a huge bruise for a week.

The concussion from the APA is there. It blows my boxes, pens, notepads on the bench all over the place. A few shooters commented on the blast. Thought I was shooting a real big cartridge. But they still get right next to me on both sides Even though there are open stalls elsewhere.