• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Gen 5 glock stippling

OpsecClyde

Banhammer
Banned !
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2020
Georgia
I am trying to stipple my first gun.. I know like most things, its all in the prep work so I used a Dremel tonight to get it ready. I have some questions. 1.) Is my undercut to thin? Can that be a problem? 2.) How is my overall prep work? I am gonna do a border then stipple it tomorrow.
pndjoBZuj
pmBASTqbj
pmgVO2yQj
po4dIMPUj

Sorry, but I trust you compromise the stiffness of the frame removing material from the trigger guard.
During recoil the frame has a lot of stress and vibrations that are partially attenuated by the lock of the trigger guard.
This is particularly important in a polymer frame.
I know you have seen on internet other people doing it, but...
Just my 2 cent

That’s kinda what I figured. Feel like I might’ve done it a little thin but it is a lot more comfortable to hold and once the stippling is applied I’m gonna take it out

It doesn't look like you undercut the inner curve that causes most cases of Glock knuckle...

Reactions: Makinchips208
I ended up doing a little more last night making it longer and deeper for the knuckle

Attachments

• E75F1119-B288-43A0-B21A-08EF34F7628F.jpeg
    E75F1119-B288-43A0-B21A-08EF34F7628F.jpeg
    321.9 KB · Views: 172
  • 73265FB3-DCCF-451C-BA22-12C1FD4E8D46.jpeg
    73265FB3-DCCF-451C-BA22-12C1FD4E8D46.jpeg
    495.8 KB · Views: 835
You didn’t compromise anything. I have literally shot thousands of rounds in USPSA on my Glocks that have had the exact same process done to them.
Same. 6 years on a cut trigger guard in usps,3gun and steel challene. Never a crack, failure, jam etc etc.

How exactly do you think it’s compromised? What do you think will fail and how?
Original stiffness of the polymer frame was reduced allowing more deformation than usual during recoil and that causes influence on the slide movement.
YouTube for slow-motion videos of Glocks firing and check the harmonics of the frame.
Many people did it? Yes! Still working fine? Yes! Would I do it on mine? Considering pros and cons, No!
As I said, just my 2 cents.
All the best!

This is gunsmithing like filling your car with gas makes you a mechanic.

Transformation to ARF.com complete.

Then why do some many gunsmiths offer stippling and grip modifications? lol

I feel like its more equivalent to changing your oil or brakes. A professional mechanic isn't required, but there sure are a lot of professional mechanics changing oil and doing brake jobs. And a lot of non-professional mechanics doing it wrong.

Reactions: reubenski
Then why do some many gunsmiths offer stippling and grip modifications? lol

I feel like its more equivalent to changing your oil or brakes. A professional mechanic isn't required, but there sure are a lot of professional mechanics changing oil and doing brake jobs. And a lot of non-professional mechanics doing it wrong.
My bil put his pads in backwards. He could not understand why the brakes made grinding noise.

My bil put his pads in backwards. He could not understand why the brakes made grinding noise.

Kind of my point with "non-professional" mechanics. Whether someone is a "gunsmith" or not doesn't really matter, at the end of the day the quality of work is all that matters and any modifications to a gun can be considered gunsmithing.

We all know stippling isn't really that difficult but theres no shortage of poorly modified and stippled guns/parts done both by normal people and licensed gunsmiths. There's also $200+ stippling and grip mod jobs that are done very well and make a serious difference in the feel of a gun. It's all relative.

Hats off to he op for trying though. What’s the worst that can happen? His frame cracks or breaks? Well it’s only a $500 glock so not a big loss.
The upside is he might have learned something and could have fun, and might have a glock with a grip he likes.

Your trigger guard is fine. Finish stripping your frame to get the rest of the guts out to keep the plastic dust out. Wrap a mag with masking tape and insert it before you start putting heat on your grip, that way if you overheat
4D61C1FE-C5C8-48A0-BFF2-D24EB35E3268.png
it, it won’t sink in and be too narrow. Join the fb group Weapon Stippling, and ask your questions there. The guys are pros and will help you if you are humble and polite.

Sorry, but I trust you compromise the stiffness of the frame removing material from the trigger guard.
During recoil the frame has a lot of stress and vibrations that are partially attenuated by the lock of the trigger guard.
This is particularly important in a polymer frame.
I know you have seen on internet other people doing it, but...
Just my 2 cent

BS

Reactions: 502Chevelle
Original stiffness of the polymer frame was reduced allowing more deformation than usual during recoil and that causes influence on the slide movement.

While you might be right, nobody cares because it creates zero functional problems.

"Influence on the slide movement"? What the fuck does that even mean?

LOLOL

At least one of the guys who's spoken up here and said there are zero problems caused by thinning the trigger guard puts tens of thousands of rounds a year through his pistol.

Looks a little thin to me, as a example here is a polymer 80 frame (basically what a Glock should be), seems a bit thicker and wider of a undercut.

31835-794250.jpg

Function wise, I’d wager you could delete the whole trigger guard and it wouldn't compromise the structural integrity of the weapon, it’s a 9mm not a 50BMG.

Reactions: Jcarpenter223
You are doing a fine job. I had been doing grips on STI, SV, Glocks and just about anything plastic. I was one of the few in the country that started this mods back in the day. Tony Kidd, back when he was with the AMU was what I believe was the first to do the grip mods. Aaron Harris out on the west coast was doing some, and myself, back here on the east coast. That was along time ago and many thousands grips later, I feel that I might know a thing about cutting, grinding and stippling grips.

I commend you Sir for taking that first step on the first one. That is were we all started, on our own. Keep up the great job and you may make a few bucks at it. Do remember that if you do this on others pistols, that it is your name on it ! Be proud of the work that you will do. One thing that you can tell your future customers, is that "the very first things that you will have to do with a pistol is get a grip on it". Keep up the good work and don't let folks talk you out of it.

Tommy Roupe
THR Technologies/Roupe Grips