• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Gen2+ WP scopes

Rlb40x

Private
Minuteman
May 2, 2012
What's the opinion on the gen 2+ scopes usable distance? I have a Trijicon Reap and a PVS14 gen3 pinnical tube that I'm very happy with, but was thinking about a night vision scope for a second rig.
Will I be disappointed after using gen3 to the point I wasted $2000? I was trying to prevent another $4000 to $5000 scope purchase, but don't want to throw away $2000
I was planning on a laser based illuminator to help it. Brands I've seen have been Armasight, ATN and Bering.
Use is coyote hunting, 300yds Max. Thanks in advance for advice.

I’m can’t speak for a new gen 2 plus vs what gen 2 was. But consider this from a price vs performance perspective.
New gen 2 plus with warranty whatever vs used gen 3 that maybe wasn’t used much anyway and performs better.

300 yards with a Gen II+ PVS-4 will work fine. Ive known a couple people that were disappointed when they upgraded the tube in one to a Gen 3. Its not as big an improvement as they imagined. Apparently the larger tube diameter of the PVS4 than say a PVS--14 helps make up for the older tech. For 300 yards an illuminator will help.

I have a Gen 3 PVS 4, and for the money it's excellent. Look around, find a good deal, and for a little more than what a new digital scope would cost, you can have a very capable optic. The one I bought had a spec sheet from ITT for the tube. Remembering off the top of my head the specs are 45lpmm, 16 snr, 70000 gain, 1.05 ebi, and 1250 photocathode response, just so you get an idea of how they perform. The huge lens up front certainly helps out a lot. Understand there are limitations. It's a pig, and the reticle options aren't great.

Well after hearing your replies I'll play it safe and go Gen3.
I'm Leary of used and EBay scopes. I may try one of the N760 or 790 series scopes, from what I've read, they seem to be solid.
Work is trashing this winters coyote season now, so I'll keep reading and deceide what model scope to get this spring or summer.

I'm Leary of used and EBay scopes. I may try one of the N760 or 790 series scopes, from what I've read, they seem to be solid.
Work is trashing this winters coyote season now, so I'll keep reading and deceide what model scope to get this spring or summer.

If it helps Ive taken my share of pigs with a Gen II+ PVS-4 out to 250 to 300 with no issues. Paid $800 on ebay for it- theres not a whole lot that can go wrong with them. I totally broke mine down and cleaned up up fairly easily. I did splurge and got the M14 reticle as its been on an M14 and another 308 and it works as advertised. At some point upgraded the mount to a modified ACOG QD mount to make it easier to swap to my day scope. Those Gen 3 ones are a lot more $ for minimal performance gain. I still use the PVS-4 on a loaner rifle and have no plans to retire it despite owning some Gen 3 stuff as well.

If it helps Ive taken my share of pigs with a Gen II+ PVS-4 out to 250 to 300 with no issues. Paid $800 on ebay for it- theres not a whole lot that can go wrong with them. I totally broke mine down and cleaned up up fairly easily. I did splurge and got the M14 reticle as its been on an M14 and another 308 and it works as advertised. At some point upgraded the mount to a modified ACOG QD mount to make it easier to swap to my day scope. Those Gen 3 ones are a lot more $ for minimal performance gain. I still use the PVS-4 on a loaner rifle and have no plans to retire it despite owning some Gen 3 stuff as well.
It does help. I looked for the PVS4, but didn't see many for sale. A back up loaner rifle is what I'm going for also, I still like my Trijicon.
Thanks for the tips guys.

The pictures I've attached are through the scope of a d760 I used to have. Tube was a gen2+ photonis. It was fine and killed plenty of coyotes with it.

Attachments

• IMG_20190811_201705_406.jpg
    IMG_20190811_201705_406.jpg
    313.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20170817_221505_678.jpg
    IMG_20170817_221505_678.jpg
    671.9 KB · Views: 30
Reactions: softcock and Crang
ya those photonis2+ tubes are GTG when you you put them behind a big Obj. . I shot several coyote with a clip-on armasight with big Obj.. . It only suffered on the nights with Zero ambient, with having some grainy signal noise and had to pump IR on targets .
Not that the Gen-3 does not have some grainy signal noise with no ambient, as it will need some IR supplement also . IT just that you do need a big Obj. to really complement the 2+ gen and get best results out of it . I had no problems with it seeing coyotes out in fields 300-400 yards out standing in open fields with a half moon ambient .

For some safety and stealthy 'foot travel' at night and on a budget . I would not hesitate to use a small Obj. with a gen2+ in a pvs14 also . It will give you adequate service for walking in the dark .

The pictures I've attached are through the scope of a d760 I used to have. Tube was a gen2+ photonis. It was fine and killed plenty of coyotes with it.
That sure looks usable to me, thanks for the pic.

The armasight co lr clip on units in the gen 2 + can be had under 2k same for the dedicated scopes. I wish I had not sold mine while back. It did not give up that much to a pvs 30 when using good ir light out to 350. After that distance the 30 performed better. Biggest complaint was the noise as stated above but could get used to or overcome with good light. I would not hesitate another one for a back up etc.