• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Gen4 Glock

Outdoorsman9

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2011
Wisc
Has Glock addressed any of the issues first seen with the Gen4 models? I know there was something with rounds not ejecting fully, but I think that was only with the G-19... Anyways, I have a Gen4 G-22 on order right now and I was just looking for some fellow Glock shooters to chime in with their thoughts. How do you like the Gen4 Compared to the Gen3?

Re: Gen4 Glock

I have fired gen 1 through gen 3's but never owned one. I liked them I just never thought they were for me. When the Gen 4's came out I bought a Gen4 G17 out of impulse a couple months ago(cant beat $385). I have never had one problem yet with it and I have fired 1100 rounds through it so far. Some people complain about the new stipple, but I like it.

I think for the money you really cant ask for much more. Its not as accurate as I would like it to be, but I have never shot a handgun this much in such a short time.

I picked up a gen4 G19 about a month ago; it has the new recoil spring. I have never been a glock fan, but this pistol has totally changed my mind. Fits my hand better than the previous gens, super accurate, and recoil is nothing. Not a single malfunction through a couple hundred rounds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outdoorsman9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has Glock addressed any of the issues first seen with the Gen4 models? I know there was something with rounds not ejecting fully, but I think that was only with the G-19... Anyways, I have a Gen4 G-22 on order right now and I was just looking for some fellow Glock shooters to chime in with their thoughts. How do you like the Gen4 Compared to the Gen3? </div></div>

Just got my Gen4 G17 last week. Some of the issues where supposedly with using crappy ammo and the stiffer springs the Gen4 come with (ask a different person, get a different answer). I have put 300 rounds through mine without a problem. I like the Gen4 cause it doesn't feel like I'm holding a brick.

i havent shot a Gen4 but for the same reason i avoid all the fancy 1911's i wont get a Gen4 Glock.. some work great..some run like crap... as far as accuracy goes..... im sure its as accurate as any other pistol you put in your hands. unless your an olympic shooter or something you cant out shoot a modern pistol. i think what the guy above means is it isnt accurate in HIS hands. we all have our preferences.

My gen4 does great. Accuracy is fine for quick tactical shots. I shoot 3-400 rounds per session in about 30-45 minutes. I am very happy and will be a lifelong Glock shooter. I have had very few issues and shoot the cheapest shit ammo I can find. Round count is around 3500 or so.

That's great to hear that the Gen4 is peforming well. Another question I had was, How easy is it to convert the G-22 from 40s&w to 9mm? How much would the barrel cost? Is there more to it than just changing barrels? Thanks for the help guys.

I have a Gen4 17 and have shot about all the crappy ammo everyone says jams. Have not had a single fte or ftf.

I have a glock 17 gen 4 with the 02 recoil spring(the original gen 4 came with a 01 spring which was the same as the 40 cal and caused problems) and I have had 0 malfunctions to date. I shoot a lot of rounds per month (about 500+) in USPSA Production class (using jhp ammo). The recoil is nothing, In production it makes it really easy to get follow up shots in the 0.2-0.3 second range(flash sight picture follow up shots, aka aimed double taps). I am back to being a student and i am not a fan of cheap pistols usually. I picked up my plastic gun cause someone tried to break into my house and I had my 300 win mag pointed at the door thinking that the bullet was going to go through 2 houses before it stopped.

Anyhow, the Glock is a great pistol for the price point. Very accurate and overall a very good weapon. There are some things I would change, but overall not a bad weapon system. Naturally I prefer the 1911 single stack but a solid contender costs around 1900 dollars for what I would like. Service life of the composite frame will be less than a comparable alloy frame but few people will actually shoot enough to even shoot out a barrel of a pistol. The only real down side to this weapon system is the barrels lead up terribly and then explode when used for more than a hand full of non jacketed bullets (100% lead bullets)

Hope this helps.

Does anyone do any custom work with their Glock? I'm somewhat new to pistols, and here to learn.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC_4_life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Service life of the composite frame will be less than a comparable alloy frame</div></div>

Do you have any evidence of this? Not trying to start a pissing contest but I've never seen a Glock frame worn out. I'd like to see one and how many rounds it took to get it to that point.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC_4_life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Service life of the composite frame will be less than a comparable alloy frame</div></div>

Do you have any evidence of this? Not trying to start a pissing contest but I've never seen a Glock frame worn out. I'd like to see one and how many rounds it took to get it to that point.</div></div>

I also would like to see evidence of this, and also definitely not trying to start a pissing contest. I have seen several cracked alloy frames, but have yet to crack any of my Glock frames. My exposure to both alloy and glock frames has been close to equal. This is very hard use with thousands and thousands of rounds.

To the OP, I have only shot the Gen4 models a few times, and I didn't have any problems with them. I didn't shoot many rounds through them though....probably a combined 1k.
I like the 3rd Gen Glocks, and you know the saying, if it isn't broken....

I went into my gun store intent on a SigPro. Ended up walking out with a G19 Gen 4. It fits my hand better than any other gun I've held, and I really like the interchangeable backstraps. Co-worker bought one around the same time and has 800 rds through it with no issues.

I have shot both the 17 and 19 with the original gen4 springs and they ran like champs. Shot the Police and Fire Games here with the 17 and cheap wally world ammo with no issues.

I think some issues existed, but the interwebs over hyped it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC_4_life</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #FF0000"> Service life of the composite frame will be less than a comparable alloy frame</span> but few people will actually shoot enough to even shoot out a barrel of a pistol. The only real down side to this weapon system is the <span style="color: #FF0000">barrels lead up terribly and then explode when used for more than a hand full of non jacketed bullets </span>(100% lead bullets)

Hope this helps. </div></div>

I'm sorry, but your spouting off incorrect information that obviously isn't backed up with any verifiable facts. I've been shooting Glocks for 14 years now. Never seen one with a cracked or damaged frame & have never heard from a fellow shooters about having problems either.

I've averaged 200 rounds a weekend shot through my Glock per month for the past 7 years. That's almost 17,000 rounds without a single hitch or problem.....oh yeah.....<span style="color: #FF0000">with lead bullets.</span>

One of my co-workers is a much more committed IPSC shooter than me and averages more than 20K rounds each year shooting lead bullets through his Glock also.....not a single problem.

The key is that you don't shoot a ton of lead bullets through the gun before cleaning it......or you will have a problem. I usually wait until I've shot a few boxes through it before simply running a bore snake down the barrel. Trust me....it takes more than a "handful of bullets" shot through one to have issues.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outdoorsman9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone do any custom work with their Glock? I'm somewhat new to pistols, and here to learn. </div></div>

If you haven't already found this site I recommend it.
http://glocktalk.com/forums/index.php

I've got an early built Gen4 17 that has no slide bevel, and the
"bad" spring in it. It was purchased new last month, and was test fired Jan 2010. Since it was purchased last month, it has been through 2 schools, a tac match, and practice session. It has
fed almost 2k rounds in that time without a hiccup. The ammo used
has been Winchester whit box, Remington yellow box, Tula, Wolf,
and federal red box. These are the cheapest ammo assortments I could find, and it has had zero stoppages.

I did call glock to let them know that the spring end that seats against the slide appeared to be opening up, and could potentially open past the guid rod. They sent me a new one with no questions and I just swapped it out with the original one as of yesterday. The old one will now reside in my range bag in case of failure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dorton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got an early built Gen4 17 that has no slide bevel, and the
"bad" spring in it. It was purchased new last month, and was test fired Jan 2010. Since it was purchased last month, it has been through 2 schools, a tac match, and practice session. It has
fed almost 2k rounds in that time without a hiccup. The ammo used
has been Winchester whit box, Remington yellow box, Tula, Wolf,
and federal red box. These are the cheapest ammo assortments I could find, and it has had zero stoppages.

I did call glock to let them know that the spring end that seats against the slide appeared to be opening up, and could potentially open past the guid rod. They sent me a new one with no questions and I just swapped it out with the original one as of yesterday. The old one will now reside in my range bag in case of failure. </div></div>

Got a pic of said slide bevel? I didnt know there were any variations as such. In interesting.

Did they change the grip angle on the Gen 4 or just add the different backstraps to change grip size?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ToddM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did they change the grip angle on the Gen 4 or just add the different backstraps to change grip size? </div></div>

No grip angle change, but they did make all Gen 4's start out as "short frames". The first back strap makes it a normal sized frame, and the large one makes it one size up.

I went out today with my new Glock 23 Gen 4 and I'm quite pleased. The back straps are cool but I ended up with the middle one so there was really no change over the gen 3's for me. This is my 6th Glock and it performed as expected.

I have been avg about 200 rounds per weekend since I got my Gen 4 G17 about 8 months ago. I have had one FTE, but it was a magazine issue.

The one truth about Glocks is that if the glock is loaded with a round in the chamber and you pull the triger it goes bang

Put it this way. On our pistol frames in our company, We had about 40 pistols 100,000/200,000+ rounds in the weapon data books. They got rebuilt with new barrel, slide etc and the only things that were reused if serviceable were the frames.I personally put 50k down range in my pistol. I love my glocks but they wouldn't hold up to that sort of abuse. You can already see frame wear on my glock and it only has about 17000 rounds on it (my competition glock). In the context of normal civilian shooting glocks will last most people a lifetime and are great pistols. But when we are talking about a service pistol alloy frame is the way to go. Not trying to have a pissing contest just sharing information. We were at the range shooting 4 times/ week. Each school/ class probably averaged over 2k pistol rounds and 2-5k rifle rounds. There is a reason they said it cost 1/4 mil to train us. But in the end my statement was based on the service pistol IIRC ($1800 custom 1911), not a recreational use weapon ($500-$600 off the shelf polymer frame pistol).

Lead guy, Keep in mind for every guy that says he shoots lead bullets ok. The MFG and a butt load of glock shooters say don't use lead bullets. Hence why I passed on the gouge of don't use lead bullets. I have seen 6 cracked frames in glocks. Just like if you ask 30 people their favorite bullet you will get 30 different experiences. Find me a glock frame that lasted 800,000 rounds and I will buy you a cookie (we had the grampa pistol frame with 800k rounds through the frame in our company). It's not miss information, it's experience and 5 months away from a Bachelors degree in Mechanical Engineering.

Polymer frames aren't made for ultra long service lives. They are made for high production numbers, the molds themselves are very expensive but the actual material cost is small (the plastic). In large production runs the polymer frames are more cost effective. But when you bond steel to polymer your adding stress risers to the assembly because the steel and polymer don't have the same compression/ elastic properties. IE with any movement or forces applied there is stress. Applying stress to a substrate that is a monomer there is less delta in movement than with a comparable polymer frame.

To sum it up, the life cycle that I am talking about is well above the average USPSA shooters pistol life cycle. 25% of shooters shoot over 1000 rounds/ year. I only know about 70 people that have shot a pistol barrel out, and 67 or so of them were from my company in the Marine Corps. Most people will never shoot out a pistol barrel, let alone wear out the frame.

We just got our Gen 4 Glock 23's at the office. Had our old ones for around 10 years. Figuring on service life the normal shooter with us had at least 7000 rounds put through their issued pistol. Us department instructors I would say had 8k to 10k rounds. The pistols starting with s/n HKY were losing the glow with the Glock night sights.

I definitely like the Gen4 better. It has a more aggressive texture. With our old ones I was using the Hogue handall to add some grip. During our week of weapons qualifying we did not experience any weapon related problems. For ammo we use Speer Lawman 180gr TMJ and Speer 180gr GDHP.

I have shot a lot of 3rd gen Glocks, and now have a 4th gen Glock 19 and they seem very similar to me.

The recoil may be lighter, the stippling is sharp for CCW, and the fit is very good so the gun shoots well.

I recently was in the market for another G17, I requested a gen3. The 4s may be dandy but I know the 3s work so I will stick with them.

As for the rest of the conjecture, like most things on the net - at this point the conversation is pretty lite on empirical data and heavy on anecodatals. Also when folks are throwing out round counts, 20k on a blaster is nothing, my EDC is a little over 50k and I consider it 'mid life'. Want to prove something? - take a QC sample batch (or even your new blaster if that's your thing) mic the critical spots, take notes and photos. Revisit the matter at about 100k rounds.

As for lead - I've shot a lot of lead (as have most in my club) through a Glock and never had an issue. If it makes you queasy - run a dry brush with a copper pot scrubber wrapped around it down the tube 2x more often than you would with conventional rifling. Then again if copper washed projos are about the same price - they smoke less which is an advantage, esp when doing low light / no light drills.

If you want a customized Glock, esp frame mods and a go fast paint job - get a hold of the board's own DVC Guns.

Good luck

I think the first recoil spring had a few extra coils on the bigger spring was intended for 124gr Nato ammo only. The number 2 has a lighter spring and seems to solve the reliability issues with commercial ammo.

Outdoorman, have the new gen4, fits my hand better than previous models, my shooting scores have improved, the pistol has been reliable, no failures, runs flawlessly with surefire light attached. I think the changes made on the gen4 are good, the pistols ergonomics have improved, it works as advertised.