• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes General Consensus of Leupold 12-40x60 HD spotter

pongnukl

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 3, 2008
Dark side of the moon
Hi guys

Just want to hear from you guys that have used or own one of these. Been contemplating one for a while now and the time has almost come to get one.

Re: General Consensus of Leupold 12-40x60 HD spotter

Overpriced, overpriced, overpriced....

Great eye relief, decent glass, balky and crappy focus.

Better option are out there and incoming, IMO.

Scott

I got a Kowa TSN 821 from Scott last year and I love it. Dont know if you are needing compact or not, but for range use, the Kowa is as nice as anything I have tried. Especially for the money.

I have the Leupold 12-40 HD kit and never use the other items than the tripod and scope.I do like the glass and the HD works best at 30 power instead of 40 though.I have no problems with it,for me if i had to buy it again id i would just not the whole kit only the HD spotting scope and tripod.I like the fact that the focus is hard to move or adjust, that way it is not easly moved,the cover and scope are a dark brown which i also like.
Yes there are better optics out there and you can spend less or more,for me this scope is great!

It will be for field use, the compact size appeals to me. No doubt there are better ones out there but for the size and money it seems alright. Thanks for the replies guys, I look forward to hearing some more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pongnukl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys there must be more of you that have or had these before?? </div></div>

I wish I had! Horus Vision puts a FFP Mil reticle in Leupolds (one model only). I'd love to see other Spotting scopes with the HV reticle in it as well.

I have one that is a few years old with a Gen2 from Premier. The glass is so so, pretty dark for what it is. I love the reticle though.