• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

General purpose bike

jphil108

Private
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2010
I have found a lot of threads on here about mountain bikes, a few on road bikes, and quite a bit about motorcycles, but none of it covers quite what I’m looking for. I’m looking for a bike that is decent for riding slowly on unimproved trails, fire roads and power/sewer easements (nothing crazy, not jumping over anything these days) pretty good at riding around the neighborhood with the kids, and not terribly expensive. When I was a teenager I had a lot of fun going camping using a bike to get pretty far off the beaten path and I want to do something similar as my kids grow up, the bike might also see some use hunting/scouting on WMA Lands.

I don’t want the poor quality of a target huffy, nor do I see a need for a $4,500 ultralight bicycle, Im looking in the $400-$600 range. Im looking for the tikka T3 of the bike world, well designed and not overly expensive, some ability to upgrade later would be nice, easily sourced parts would be a necessity. I have mostly ridden cheap hard tails from department stores in the past and I like the lower parts count and lack of complexity associated with the more simple design, but have always been disappointed with the quality.

I live in a hilly region of the Carolinas I’m about 6’3” and 175 lb. I’m assuming the more gears the better, but I’m not sure what ratios or what brands to avoid. I’m also not sure what tire size, width and tread pattern would be good for this type of use. I have no issues with used equipment but I’m in need of some advice on what to look for and what to stay away from, if any of you have any thoughts on what might fit the bill here, your input would be much appreciated.

B564E3E8-C582-4D1C-A70A-2E719CEDFB9F.gif

You want a gravel cyclo-cross bike. They can be pretty expensive if you purchase new. I have an old Bianchi that ticks all of those boxes. Consider something used and have your local bike shop refurbish it.

I’m partial to Specialized bikes. They have multiple bikes that fit your needs

Reactions: Scott037
Well, honestly for what you're talking about doing you'd do well to just buy used. Make sure to do homework though so you don't get taken on the price. Probably find one on CL? A lot of what you're paying for is weight, the cheaper bikes today are infinitely better than what I had to depend on when I really wore 'em out.

I got my Redline for free. Cost about $150 to get it overhauled and new tubeless tires, fenders (it's always raining). I rode the shit out of it when I was in college, rode it down stair cases, slid the frame down railings, etc., threw it in the back of my truck like a bag of shit at the end of the day and left it there, now it hangs in the garage. It still gets the job done. I wanna say you can score Redline in Walmart now? They did acquire one of the high end brands from the 80's just can't recall which one. Mongoose?

I'd do that OR just get one from Walmart that suits you, THEN wear that out and if/when you need to replace it, you'll know exactly what you need. That's the best advice and it's how I look at any tool --I get the cheap shit so I have it, and if I use it enough to wear out I replace it with good stuff. Simple and I don't blow money on shit I don't use that way.

Now when I was younger I actually RODE bikes. I rode from H'ville AL to Nashville TN one day --when I was 14yo. It's 100miles one way and I wound up with two flats and stripped out both sets of bearings and my brakes were down to the metal --Granny had to pick us up in Ardmore at the state line 30 miles away, she was pissed! So back then I was trashing Walmart, Sears, WeBeToys and Montgomery Ward bikes, pretty much went through at least one per year (not counting stolen ones) but I was putting at least 20 miles a day on it. Hard miles too. I think mountain bikes had just become a thing but weren't where they are today.

So I'd consider what you plan on doing with it, I wouldn't put money into a bike just to hang it on the wall.

The Dutch ride their bikes more than anyone I know, anything with a gear selector or 3 piece crank will get stolen in 2 seconds in Amsterdam, so there's a lot of bikes from the 40's still going (they still want their bikes back from Germany, who rode off on 'em when the yankees showed up! --they're not kidding either!). It's flat there though so you can get away with fifty pound bikes and one gear.

I saw this in fieldcraft and figured it was gonna have something to do with using a bike as a means to move shit around in the field. BTDT too --used to use our bikes like pack mules to ferry building supplies up to the mountain top.

For 350 bucks i bought a 2005 kawasaki kx 140 and i ride it all over the place. No pedaling, plus for some reason riding a dirtbike fixes my lower back pain. Completely. Its not fast but its fast enough. Makes checking targets alot easier too.

I have found a lot of threads on here about mountain bikes, a few on road bikes, and quite a bit about motorcycles, but none of it covers quite what I’m looking for. I’m looking for a bike that is decent for riding slowly on unimproved trails, fire roads and power/sewer easements (nothing crazy, not jumping over anything these days) pretty good at riding around the neighborhood with the kids, and not terribly expensive. When I was a teenager I had a lot of fun going camping using a bike to get pretty far off the beaten path and I want to do something similar as my kids grow up, the bike might also see some use hunting/scouting on WMA Lands.

I don’t want the poor quality of a target huffy, nor do I see a need for a $4,500 ultralight bicycle, Im looking in the $400-$600 range. Im looking for the tikka T3 of the bike world, well designed and not overly expensive, some ability to upgrade later would be nice, easily sourced parts would be a necessity. I have mostly ridden cheap hard tails from department stores in the past and I like the lower parts count and lack of complexity associated with the more simple design, but have always been disappointed with the quality.

I live in a hilly region of the Carolinas I’m about 6’3” and 175 lb. I’m assuming the more gears the better, but I’m not sure what ratios or what brands to avoid. I’m also not sure what tire size, width and tread pattern would be good for this type of use. I have no issues with used equipment but I’m in need of some advice on what to look for and what to stay away from, if any of you have any thoughts on what might fit the bill here, your input would be much appreciated.
You want a hybrid bike, they are comfortable, tend to be pretty fast on the road and are quite capable on dirt roads, etc...

You want a gravel cyclo-cross bike. They can be pretty expensive if you purchase new. I have an old Bianchi that ticks all of those boxes. Consider something used and have your local bike shop refurbish it.

Agree, Grave bike would be the way to go if no jumping or terriblu rough terrain was to be expected.
No idea on pricing, would need to do some research.

You could consider a hardtail MTB bike but the gravel bike would be considerably more efficient on sealed and gravel roads.

There's a YouTube channel called GMBN, based in the UK who have done videos on this very topic, it'd explain the differences and pros and cons of all the options.

Only issue is translating the information into bike you are actually happy to pay for, the cycling world is ridiculously expensive considering the technology involved.

Seems like some good information to start looking, It looks like both the gravel bike and the hybrid would do what I’m looking for, the hybrid is maybe closer to the price point I like and I’ve seen some good deals on used bikes already. Like everything else, bike seem to he another ridiculous rabbit hole to throw money down. I appreciate y’all’s input, I was having a hard time scrolling through bike forums, it was detracting from my lurking on the Hide.

Seems like some good information to start looking, It looks like both the gravel bike and the hybrid would do what I’m looking for, the hybrid is maybe closer to the price point I like and I’ve seen some good deals on used bikes already. Like everything else, bike seem to he another ridiculous rabbit hole to throw money down. I appreciate y’all’s input, I was having a hard time scrolling through bike forums, it was detracting from my lurking on the Hide.
GMBN has some good videos showing pros and cons of different bikes but they also have a tonne of videos.

I'd try get a rough idea of what I think I want before looking at cycling forums, as the rabbit hole is indeed ridiculous.
Having a bit of prior knowledge will help weed your way through all the info.
Also avoid the hype of the latest and greatest products, pretty much all the worthwhile cycling techs have been around for 15+ years now, the new tech is mostly a 2% improvement for 500% the price.

If not trying to make fast time I find a MTB a better all a rounder than a gravel bike—more comfy and stable, but a little slower. You’ll probably need to be into the $1500 to get the tikka of bikes. Kona is particularly strong in offering a lot of value in the 800-2k price range. Giant is also particularly good in that rage, but there are at least a dozen options. Something like this would last forever and fit the bill nicely I think.

Not only is there an ammo shortage but there is a bit of a bike shortage. Or bike component shortage i guess I should say.

Id deffinately watch used but also watch because they are selling for premium.

Reactions: supercorndogs
I was wondering what was up. I popped over to JensenUSA when I saw this thread, because they usually have some sales. Get last years model for half price or better. Nothing under 3k. I was surprised but I stopped looking further, because I already have a bike. I was going to link it over for the O.P but nada tostada. I have put thousands of miles on a couple decent mountain bikes. You get a lot smoother when you get around the 1k mark. Hydraulic disc brakes will make you soooooo happy. LOL

Seems like there is a shortage of everything entertaining; boats ,bikes, trucks, pistols, Ammo. Hell the only thing PSA seems to advertise anymore are black aces shotguns and pistol braces. At any rate, I will definitely be buying used because I’m cheap and I do t mind letting other people scratch off the new.

Reactions: Rocky59
I tend to agree with the fellows talking gravel or cyclo-cross bikes. for your requirements, an aluminum frame will work fine. Its hard to justify a carbon frame unless one is seriously into cyling.

Why not a mountain bike? If mountain biking is what you are going to do, that is the bees knees. However, in my experience, unless one is planning on riding serious mountain bike trails, I find them heavy, slow, and a pain to work with/on.

I own a 29er and I rue the day I purchased it.

I bought the Co-Op DRT 1.1 from REI for a similiar use. Happy so far, versatile, and reasonable price.
I’ve been looking at these online. Would likely have to ship to my house. I’m debating on which size, my height is 6’ so I fall into both the LG and XL categories. Any recommendation based on your first hand experience?

Specialized, Trek, Giant all have them in your price range. My old Trek 4100 has cantilever brakes, disc brakes were new when I first got it and like many things I thought them a gimmick. I was wrong. I have upgraded to a lock out front fork for on road distance a set of "skinnies" (road tires that still fit on the mountain bike rims. A few years ago I did a century ride (100miles) on it to see if I could. Most bike mom and pop shops will steer you towards something suitable for your wants/needs. I would bump your price range or buy a used higher end for longevity.

I had similar requirements and went with a low end gravel bike. A hybrid or dial sport like the Marin San Rafael DS1/2 would work too(wife got the female version)

I wanted a bike for riding around town, rails/trails, double-track, and possibly some light mountain biking

I went with a Salsa Journeyman Claris flatbar. They have a couple different tiers and this one is entry at $800 from my local shop. They have both flatbar and drop bar versions. I went with the 650b wheels (wider) over the 700cc but you can change them out

I think it would be worth looking into and isn't too far above your budget. I originally wanted to spend 5-600 but the better components and how long the bike will let was worth it to me
20210423_183526.jpg

Whatever you do - don't try out an E-bike but especially not a fully suspended E mountain bike. They are so awesome, more so for someone like me at 60 years old and a bit worn out and with annoying health problems.

Because I have neuropathy in my feet walking a long ways will make them haunt me come evenings. So a little over a year ago I got out my 20 year old Trek fully suspended mountain bike and rode it around the trails. I did this for a few months and basically got my ass kicked, lol. I was having to go to bed early and take naps because of the exertion. My body just wouldn't "do that" anymore. Though I did notice that the exercise did help my circulation, neuropathy, and I did felt better in general.

When at the 2018 SHotSHow there was a booth that had ebikes in it and that seemed like a perfect solution for my problem which I had not considered beforehand. I got dealer price and put it on the CC right then. Long story short that decision proved to be one of the best purchases I've made in my life! Mine is a pedal assist model so I get enough exertion without killing myself.

I go out 2-3 times a week for an hour or two and when I get tired I just use a higher power mode on my bike.

OP, make sure you get an extra large sized bike as a top priority.
Also you get what you pay for so spend some time researching componentry, etc.
Buy a used mid grade bike IMHO.
Fully suspended bikes make for a more comfortable ride even on dirt roads. I prefer 150 to 160mm travel suspensions.

It doesn't sound like much but I was able to go on a steep ride on a rocky trail up hill for 5 miles and then back down. The regular mountain bikes couldn't keep up :p in the up hill part of course and I held my own downhill.

Good luck on your search.

Here's my EMTB.

DSC00213.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Tchitcherine
1619998916708.png

except pulled by your kids no gas required just needs a little harness and a whip lol .

• Haha
Reactions: steve123
Whatever you do - don't try out an E-bike but especially not a fully suspended E mountain bike. They are so awesome, more so for someone like me at 60 years old and a bit worn out and with annoying health problems.

Because I have neuropathy in my feet walking a long ways will make them haunt me come evenings. So a little over a year ago I got out my 20 year old Trek fully suspended mountain bike and rode it around the trails. I did this for a few months and basically got my ass kicked, lol. I was having to go to bed early and take naps because of the exertion. My body just wouldn't "do that" anymore. Though I did notice that the exercise did help my circulation, neuropathy, and I did felt better in general.

When at the 2018 SHotSHow there was a booth that had ebikes in it and that seemed like a perfect solution for my problem which I had not considered beforehand. I got dealer price and put it on the CC right then. Long story short that decision proved to be one of the best purchases I've made in my life! Mine is a pedal assist model so I get enough exertion without killing myself.

I go out 2-3 times a week for an hour or two and when I get tired I just use a higher power mode on my bike.

OP, make sure you get an extra large sized bike as a top priority.
Also you get what you pay for so spend some time researching componentry, etc.
Buy a used mid grade bike IMHO.
Fully suspended bikes make for a more comfortable ride even on dirt roads. I prefer 150 to 160mm travel suspensions.

It doesn't sound like much but I was able to go on a steep ride on a rocky trail up hill for 5 miles and then back down. The regular mountain bikes couldn't keep up :p in the up hill part of course and I held my own downhill.

Good luck on your search.

Here's my EMTB.

View attachment 7616898
Ebike will be my next buy. I love riding my bike but an ebike would be better for some things.

Seems like there are some lower end options around $1600, but looking at $2500 on up for something with good components and high powered battery. Some from the big brands run 10k plus

Ebike will be my next buy. I love riding my bike but an ebike would be better for some things.

Seems like there are some lower end options around $1600, but looking at $2500 on up for something with good components and high powered battery. Some from the big brands run 10k plus

My Bakcou Storm was a $5900 retail bike.

I'm going to put this bike up for sale when I have a enough money saved up for my EMTB upgrade.
The tough part is picking which EMTB and waiting for it to be delivered because it could be half a year.
Or if I can find one used within a days drive I might go that route.
I'll be in the $7000-$8000 price range for the next one.
I rented a Niner WFO and a Niner RIP for my boys when they came to visit. These were amazing bikes!!!!! The 3 of us rode for 18 miles on rough terrain up on the base of the Peaks trading bikes the whole time. We hadn't had that much fun together since they were young when we used to go ride quads.

I look at it as an investment in my health among other things.

Find a local bike shop. You'll want a place that is familiar with what you buy to do tune-ups and replace stuff you break.

I just bought my kid a Kona. $650 for a good middle of the road starter mountain bike. Only thing I wasn't crazy about was cable operated discs vs hydro disc. Rim brakes are dead and need to stay that way.

I have a Diamondback with a 3x9 drivetrain and hydro discs on 29" wheels. It rolls easy, stops on a dime, and wasn't expensive, about $750. I now know that a 1x9 is just as good as the 3x9, as I still only use about 4-5 gears out of 27.

I'm not an e-bike fan. Lots of weight and you end up using it anytime you get tired. Just push yourself a little farther every few days and you'll soon be riding miles without thinking about it. I will start the summer at 4-5 miles a day, and end the summer at 20-30 miles on the local gravel trails.

These are cool for a casual bike that doesn’t really categorize well. Hard to find right now. I had a PK Ripper as a kid so have been semi lusting after one of these for a while.

The most important aspect is size. Look at the manufacture's website to see their fit guide based on your height. A decent bike shop should be able to help you with that. If it doesn't fit correctly, it will only bring you aches and pains and you will never ride it. Likewise fitting the bike is important: (similar to LOP and check height on a stock) correct position of saddle, handlebars, brake levers. As for gravel vs mtn bike, the thinner the tires, the less rolling resistance, but also the less cushion of the ride. Also gravel bikes are geared higher than mtn bikes. Gravel bikes work great on finer gravel roads, paved roads. Mountain bikes work better on coarse gravel roads and rougher dirt roads.

The best upgrades you can do after the initial purchase are quality tires and a good saddle. I hope that helps.

Reactions: jphil108
I'm not sure this is the right place to ask for the Tikka T3 of Bikes with your criteria in mind a used mid range priced Gravel Bike does tick most of the wants.

It took this long....

1621608609415.png

but to be serious for a moment......

When on a family trip to FL the place we stayed had bikes for guest use. They had these style bad boys....

1621608726830.png

My bike is a Mountain Bike Cannondale with the straight bars. Good for its intended use but for general riding, flat land, no need for all the gears...that leaned forward weight on forearms and wrists riding style gets tiring.

Riding those beach bar Schwinns with the fat seat and the pullback on the bars allowing me to sit more straight up was a level of comfort Im not used to on a pedal bike.

Reactions: jphil108
It took this long....

View attachment 7630339

but to be serious for a moment......

When on a family trip to FL the place we stayed had bikes for guest use. They had these style bad boys....

View attachment 7630341

My bike is a Mountain Bike Cannondale with the straight bars. Good for its intended use but for general riding, flat land, no need for all the gears...that leaned forward weight on forearms and wrists riding style gets tiring.

Riding those beach bar Schwinns with the fat seat and the pullback on the bars allowing me to sit more straight up was a level of comfort Im not used to on a pedal bike.

It helps if there is a seat on the post.

I have had good luck with my Cannondale Topstone Gravel bike. You can't do every thing a mountain bike can but almost....
186542988_10165766535960427_2731075978280179425_n.jpeg