• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AquaRhombus77

AquaRhombus77
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2023
Oklahoma
Good evening guys, I'm building a ultralight GPR. My goal is to have a sub 8lbs. rifle with optic, scope rings and sling.
1. For my base I'm leaning towards the *Left Handed* Tikka T3x light rifle in 308Win.
2. I'm wanting to do a lightweight LPVO in MRAD (suggestions welcome).
3. For the mount I'm leaning towards the ADS Scout Straight QD 30mm one piece mount.
4. I'm going to have the barrel cut to 16.25in and threaded to fit a 5/8-24 thread pitch SureFire Warcomp Flash Hider adapter so I can run a suppressor as well. 5. For back up iron sights I'm leaning towards the SkinnerSights Picatinny Rail with integrated ghost ring rear, and a SkinnerSights Marble Uni-ramp front (suggestions also welcome).
6. For the sling I'm leaning towards the Ferro Concepts "Slingster".
7. I'm planning on having the barrel bolt fluted and the bolt handle knurled.

8. To finish it off I'm going to have the rifle stock Cerakoted a classic OD green and the barrel Cerakoted a flat matte black
I live in a heavily wooded area and my max open distance without going to a shooting range is 350 - 400 yards.

Thanks for any tips, advice, thought, and ideas.
-Z

There is no good reason to run a scout scope anymore.

There is very little good reason to run a bolt gun for a quick shooting rifle anymore when you can use a semi with better ergos and reloads.

I know this is not what you wanted to hear.

Get an AR with lvpo and you will find it much more usable for what you want.

There is very little good reason to run a bolt gun for a quick shooting rifle anymore when you can use a semi with better ergos and reloads.

Ease of one handed carry (being able to wrap your hand around the receiver like an iron sighted rifle) is about the biggest (and maybe only) plus of the scout scope these days. (and I say that owning a few rifles with scout scopes)

That same same thing (ease of one handed carry) is a big knock on the AR. (Don't say "sling", this isn't about slings, it's about "handy". Grab, hold, carry, put down, pick up.)

Reactions: AquaRhombus77
5. For back up iron sights I'm leaning towards the SkinnerSights Picatinny Rail with integrated ghost ring rear, and a SkinnerSights Marble Uni-ramp front (suggestions also welcome).
I have Skinner sights on two rigs . Solid and simple , they make for a nice system .

Post up some pics when you get it built , sounds interesting .

I won’t be running a scout scope or an optic in the scout position. As for the AR I built a pretty nice one. This is more of a general purpose rifle i.e. for hunting, and plinking.

Ease of one handed carry (being able to wrap your hand around the receiver like an iron sighted rifle) is about the biggest (and maybe only) plus of the scout scope these days. (and I say that owning a few rifles with scout scopes)

That same same thing (ease of one handed carry) is a big knock on the AR. (Don't say "sling", this isn't about slings, it's about "handy". Grab, hold, carry, put down, pick up.)
This^ I’m wanting to create something that is quick, handy, and very light without defaulting to an AR every single time. I think running a bolt gun effectively is a skill that I don’t have, but really want to develop.

I have the first series of scout riles that Savage put out back 2010 and it is my daily hunter in 308. I like having the open sites as backup and with the scope so far forward, you can use two eyes to spot thing rather quickly.

But now with the AR platforms out in 223/308 and 6.5 Creed, the scout concept is outdated and out preformed in less you can not hunt with a semi auto, then it might be a viable platform for you.

I have the first series of scout riles that Savage put out back 2010 and it is my daily hunter in 308. I like having the open sites as backup and with the scope so far forward, you can use two eyes to spot thing rather quickly.

But now with the AR platforms out in 223/308 and 6.5 Creed, the scout concept is outdated and out preformed in less you can not hunt with a semi auto, then it might be a viable platform for you.
Don’t get me wrong I admire the AR10 model platform. The cartridges in 308Win 6.5CM and other calibers make it a very viable platform. I’ve always wanted to run a bolt gun effectively and effectively. It’s a timeless and classic design I admire.

I have explored this area quite a bit. I think there’s a lot of merit in the kind of rifle you are trying to build. My GP rifle progression went from T3 compact to Steyr and Ruger Scouts, to 16 in large frame AR’s then to Sig Cross 16 inch guns, and back again. There is no perfect answer.
I think the best of the above is the Steyr in 6.5 creedmoor with an LPVO. I keep the Sig Cross set up with 16 in for suppressed use.

If I was considering a build, I might start with a Sako, given that it has a true short action, double stack magazine that fits flush with 5 rounds, better stocks, a rep for accuracy, and can be had fluted and lightweight from the factory.

The easy route to a handy light 16 in bolt with iron sights and threaded barrel is the Ruger, and in the plastic stock.

I think this forum tends to focus more on precision and Ballistics than practical field accuracy or logistics. That is where the .308 bolt gun shines. You can shoot the hell out of one and learn to master it. ARs with large frame bolt carriers moving around can be hard to shoot from field positions, and this is just multiplied when they are lightweight.

Running a Tikka T3 compact -
The Tikka comes in a factory 20 inch version with a shorter stock. I bought one on sale in .308 and dropped it into a B&C stock when they cleared out the OG T3s for the T3X. It is a great all around hunting rifle. It is a very accurate, and not too picky with regard to ammo. I have not bothered to thread it. I either want a rifle suppressed all the time or not at all. I don’t t care for the headache re-zeroing loads as required to go back and forth. The only action length is long, and the most practical magazine is a three round single stack. You can buy five round single stack, aftermarket mags that are somewhat expensive for what they are, and protrude a fair amount. The magazine release on the plastic factory bottom metal is junk, and some of the aftermarket metal pieces, protrude below, and get inadvertently, bumped, unseating a magazine. Be careful with your choice of bottom metal. Better choice for the tikka might be the CTR, or an AIcs pattern bottom metal. Protruding magazines make carrying around the actions somewhat un handy, likely not what you were going for. I like the smooth bolt. You can swap out tikka bolt handles without getting it knurled.
I have no experience with the Skinner sights, but I’m sure they’re fine.
An option would be to look at Van Dorsten customs, Jager Scout, it is built on a T3.

I think Modern LPVO’s beat scout optics. There are several with reticles built around 16 inch 308 ballistics.

I would consider other options for a sling that give you the potential to use it for support. The Rhodesian sling or even Magpul Rifleman loop sling will serve as an improved hasty sling. I moved my slingster over to an AR.
Fluting the bolt and barrel will likely not save much weight, but will be a cost. I’m sure it will look cool, but utilitarian is its own higher cool to me. Also, as .308 gets lighter, it starts to suck to shoot more. There is a happy middle ground to me.

In your shoes I'd do this

Cheapest t3 you can find in your caliber
Cut and thread barrel if you like
Nx8 lpvo, fc DMX ret
Nf ultralight rings on the stock rail
Sling of choice

Call it a day.

If you hate the stock stockys makes a cheapish carbon stock with a vertical grip that's well liked by the guys at rokslide. I'm a big fan of the vertical grip on a stock.

I did something sort of similar off a tikka.
The build ended up a little over 9lbs with the 20 inch 223 barrel. Little different req than you have but similar idea. General purpose, close to mid range effective. Cheap to shoot. I may add iron sights in the future. The 2.5x low end on that scope is pretty decent for shorter shots though. Keeps the system simple.

If you do want iron sights note that NECG makes a rear peep sight specifically for the tikka rail. You could definitely keep it on the rifle permanently and have room for the rear scope ring.

Attachments

• 17075957934888219472373908522620.jpg
    17075957934888219472373908522620.jpg
    481 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Depending on your caliber desires, I’d advise considering a Ruger Ranch Rifle. I bought one a couple years ago in 5.56 and it punches far above its weight. Mine shoots MOA or just under with factory 77s. It’s light and handy, takes standard AR mags, and has a threaded muzzle. Lots of aftermarket accessories available. I think they used to come in .300blk and 7.62x39 also, but don’t quote me on that. I put a 1-8 scope on there and it’s just dandy. I’ll have to weigh it but it’s not heavy.

sabatti have a few off the shelf options which are interesting.

1707639854218.png

1707639877243.png
1707639903476.png

Reactions: Millron

Use in non-semiauto friendly areas. Lever guns are also a good choice but the supply of affordable, quality ones seems to be very hit or miss now and long range was never the lever guns forte in the first place.

Use in non-semiauto friendly areas. Lever guns are also a good choice but the supply of affordable, quality ones seems to be very hit or miss now and long range was never the lever guns forte in the first place.

Wtf is a non semi friendly area?

Would a savage 110pcs bolt pistol with a brace fit what you’re looking for?