• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

General Remington Questions

Section 8

Private
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2008
SE WI
www.kampnazi.com
I'm cheap. Unfortunately Remington doesn't make the rifle I want.

Soooooo.... i am going to buy the cheapest thing that they make with an appropriate barrel and and go from there.

The problem I have, is there any difference between the actions or barrels (other than length and contour)from a $500 SPS Varmint and a $1000 something else form their catalog? Some of them have different muzzle treatments, but it sounds like you toss the barrel anyway. I'll be shooting it unless its a complete turd for the time being (after a change of stocks). I will need to "learn" how to shoot it, so while a nice rifle appeals to me, its going to be a waste initially. I live in Wisconsin amongst 5 or so custom barrel makers and within an hours drive of 3 so that will probably happen sooner than later anyway.

Re: General Remington Questions

What are you going to do with it? The 5R's all seem to get excellent reviews and the 223 5R I had lived up to it.

If you are just going for the action, why not just buy an action?

Are you stuck on Remington? You could get a Remy, spend money on the trigger, buy a new stock, have the bolt trued, etc... and end up with a great shooter. But, if you are interested in an accurate rifle out of box, look to Savage. A 10FP or 12FV will shoot sub-MOA straight from the box. Savage utilizes button rifled barrels, come with the highly regarded accutrigger (user adjustable), and don't need the bolt faces trued like a Remington. Another benefit of Savage is that they can be rebarreled (at home) very easily,allowing you to change calibers without buying another gun. Don't get me wrong, the SPS is a very nice gun for the money. I handled one just recently.

It sounds like you may be interested in building this rifle up as you go. If you want to build from the Remy action, then any 700 action will do. I believe what accounts for price difference from one model to another is generally what stock is used. For $599, you can get a Savage 10 or Rem SPS Varmint, but no one is going to brag about the stocks they wear. Lets face it, the manufacturers put the emphasis on barrel and action at this price point. With that said, the stocks aren't junk either. They are functional and adequate for 80-90% of shooters.

You said you were cheap and needed to "learn" to shoot. For $300, you can buy a Stevens model 200. This rifle uses the same Savage 10/110 action and you can build on it piece by piece (barrel, trigger, stock) while you "learn" to shoot.

http://www.gunblast.com/Stevens-200.htm

From what you have said, go old and go from there. Find a rifle that would make a good donor and go from there. If not, get what you want new and make due. Older rifles have better triggers and that saves 60 bucks. Stocks may have to get redone either way. If not, get a new rifle with Xmark, shoot until you are done and then build from there.

The SPS varmints are a good barreled action. The stock isn't fit to stir a pot with. I have two of them and shoot OK but the first thing I did after taking them out of the box was replace the stock.

I'm not exactly starting from zero shooting ability. I just recently moved to an area with a private range facility with a variety of ranges from 0-25 all the way to 600 yards.

Coming from a place with 100 yard ranges, you get away with being retarded just because you can shot pistols well, I need to learn (hence the quotes) the fine art of long range marksmanship.

A. I work at a gun shop. Accessories and parts are realllllly marked up. Bolt guns in general are not, custom guns hardly cover shipping and insurance for $2xxx.

B. I still have a Llama Mini Max that I bought for $300.00 (my first hand gun I bought myself) to remind me not to buy cheap guns. Its a complete turd, and took me 2 magazines to go from excited new gun owner to feeling like a complete ass hat.

I was looking at the savage F class gun, (I want to build a prone rifle with bipod) I just don't like how few people work on them, or the drastic change in after market activity surrounding them.

So, the question was asked if there was any difference in the rifles other than the crap they attach to it.

Oh, and I have about $2000 to spend, and good optics are marked up about 10-20%
frown.gif
So I m planning on spending 1000-1300 on an optic.

As a friend put it, "A GAP rifle is going to be pretty useless with a shotgun bead on it"

While there may be a lot of mark-up on most shooting accessories, you won't find much mark-up on a quality McMillan or Manners stock. They really are worth the money.

Savage has a new stock out now that is supposed to be the cats ass. B&C offers tactical stocks for the 700 that are excellent and about one third the price of the top shelf stocks mentioned. dnt know why people talk about sub moa Savages as being an advantage over the Remmys. Both my turn bolt Remmy's (VSSF in .223 and LTR in .308) where sub moa "out of the box". Custom barrels are not always a must. Dont forget to allow for QUALITY base and rings, skimping here will ruin your whole day. Well, thats my .02 worth of BS. Good luck.

okie