• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes General scope terminology question

99HMC4

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2008
Why do scope companies call their side parallax adjustment scopes "side focus" scopes? Would it not be more accurate (pun intended!) for them to be called side parallax adjustment? Or is it just marketing to help the general consumer?

Edit: I completely understand what parallax is....

Re: General scope terminology question

I'll bite, I think it is a marketing ploy.
The average hunter doesn't know what parallax is, and I assume that is the majority of consumers. With a high power scope, turning the "knob" does snap the target in and out of focus, so there you go, lets call it the focus knob. LOL.
These are the same people that mount the scope on their rifle canted and never adjust the eye piece to their eye. Heck for that matter they are the ones that make all of these 600 yard shots. Read (150) yards. End of Rant.
SScott

The people who write the ad copies are dummies and never learned to shoot with a classic Unertl or Lyman where you adjusted for parallax.
BTW the settings are often a bit off, you actually gotta look at the target, move your head and fine tune the P.A. until the crosshair does not move.

Im leaning towards marketing also but even big name scope companies that are greared toward advanced shooter who should know what it really is and how to use it. S&B is the only one Ive seen them refer to it as a "parallax" adjustment. I dont get it...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 99HMC4</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Or is it just marketing to help the general consumer?

</div></div>

Just like "better light gathering" right?
wink.gif

Oh no, I have the best one.

My brother and I saw a 3-9x Tasco scope in a blister pack at Wal-Mart a few years ago.

The advertising on the packaging read;

"<span style="font-style: italic">Brings the target 3 to 9 times closer</span>".