• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors General suppressor questions

Stinger78

Private
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2012
Hey guys Ive been exploring the idea of applying for a suppressor. This would be my first time doing so and am a total newb to suppressors. I have been eyeing the AAC Cyclone and the TBAC30-p1. So i have a few new guy questions:

This would be going on a semi auto, not a bolt gun. Are certain silencers better for a bolt gun vs semi, ie aluminum built, titanium, etc? My main criteria i guess would be to have the least amount of POI shift. I can make bad shots on my own i dont need any help.

If I make the purchase online, does the dealer usually require you to pay for the suppressor then or do you wait for the paperwork to be returned?

With an online purchase, does my local FFL have to be a class 3 dealer to make the transfer or does that only apply to the selling dealer?

Sorry for the dumb questions but like i said, i am a total newb to these

Re: General suppressor questions

titanium will typically have the least POI shift but it doesnt do so well with heat. stainless is heavy but doesnt really flinch at heat. inconel is lighter and even more heat resistant than stainless but costs a lot. some companies use it on the first baffle and make the rest stainless.

for a semi i would go with a stainless/inconel can. you can go Ti but remember mag dumps are a no-no and allow it time to cool when it gets hot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stinger78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys Ive been exploring the idea of applying for a suppressor. This would be my first time doing so and am a total newb to suppressors. I have been eyeing the AAC Cyclone and the TBAC30-p1. So i have a few new guy questions:

This would be going on a semi auto, not a bolt gun. Are certain silencers better for a bolt gun vs semi, ie aluminum built, titanium, etc? My main criteria i guess would be to have the least amount of POI shift. I can make bad shots on my own i dont need any help.

If I make the purchase online, does the dealer usually require you to pay for the suppressor then or do you wait for the paperwork to be returned?

With an online purchase, does my local FFL have to be a class 3 dealer to make the transfer or does that only apply to the selling dealer?

Sorry for the dumb questions but like i said, i am a total newb to these </div></div>

In regards to the POI shift, titanium suppressors generally produce the lease POI shift. In my honest opinion, POI shift doesn't matter as long as it's repeatable because you can just readjust your zero. If anyone tells you otherwise, they are on that blue berry yum yum if you know what I mean
smile.gif
. The biggest thing you need to decide on when you consider SS vs titanium is weight, heat retention and price. Titanium cans will be lighter, will heat up faster and will be more expensive while SS cans will be the opposite.

There are some suppressors that are built around a gas gun and some for a bolt gun, but it's you aren't limited to just that platform. Your best bet would be to do some research on people who have shot various cans through a bolt gun or gas gun, to see which yielded the best results.

If you pay for a suppressor through an online dealer, I would imagine they would want their money upfront because the form 4 tax stamp has to be sent out. Your biggest concern with going through an online dealer would revolve around your decision to wait on a dealer to dealer transfer OR if the dealer has to receive the can from the manufacturer, then have it transferred to you. This just adds time onto the transfer process. It would be wise to call up as many class III dealers in your area and see which one has the best price, then just go from there. From my personal experience, online dealers will only beat competitive local dealers by around $50.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uracowman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stinger78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys Ive been exploring the idea of applying for a suppressor. This would be my first time doing so and am a total newb to suppressors. I have been eyeing the AAC Cyclone and the TBAC30-p1. So i have a few new guy questions:

Sorry for the dumb questions but like i said, i am a total newb to these </div></div>

In regards to the POI shift, titanium suppressors generally produce the lease POI shift. In my honest opinion, POI shift doesn't matter as long as it's repeatable because you can just readjust your zero. If anyone tells you otherwise, they are on that blue berry yum yum if you know what I mean
smile.gif
. The biggest thing you need to decide on when you consider SS vs titanium is weight, heat retention and price. Titanium cans will be lighter, will heat up faster and will be more expensive while SS cans will be the opposite.

There are some suppressors that are built around a gas gun and some for a bolt gun, but it's you aren't limited to just that platform. Your best bet would be to do some research on people who have shot various cans through a bolt gun or gas gun, to see which yielded the best results.

If you pay for a suppressor through an online dealer, I would imagine they would want their money upfront because the form 4 tax stamp has to be sent out. Your biggest concern with going through an online dealer would revolve around your decision to wait on a dealer to dealer transfer OR if the dealer has to receive the can from the manufacturer, then have it transferred to you. This just adds time onto the transfer process. It would be wise to call up as many class III dealers in your area and see which one has the best price, then just go from there. From my personal experience, online dealers will only beat competitive local dealers by around $50. </div></div>

If you go online dealer to your dealer.... that $50.00 won't matter because your dealer will charge that in a transfer fee most likely. I always check for local stock first and foremost.

Yes your local dealer has to be an SOT to transfer a can to you.
If you would like to chat about the 30P-1 send me a PM or call me. My number is on the TBAC web site.

As to the blue berry yum yum thing......better stop drop and roll.

OP you should probably post your location and then someone might be able to recommend a local SOT who can help you with the purchase...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OP you should probably post your location and then someone might be able to recommend a local SOT who can help you with the purchase... </div></div>

Thanks so much for the replys guys! Much appreciated! I am in the Cocoa Beach FL area. I've had some time to do a little research and have found a few dealers near me. Not sure what they're stock looks like but I plan on caling around. I think the first step for me is to get a hold of the local CLEO and see if they would be willing to sign off on it. I am aware of being able to do a trust, but I'm the type who won't have full piece of mind unless I had an attorney draw it up. Don't think I really want to spend the cash to do that

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blasst</div><div class="ubbcode-body">uracowman....noticed you are in Houston. Do you have a recommendation for a suppressor dealer here. Haven't had one before but it's next on my list. I'm starting the paperwork. </div></div>

collectors firearms-piss poor prices on almost all their firearms, but their suppressor prices are very competitive
tactical firearms-you get a free trust if you transfer a class III item to them or purchase one from them. Their prices are pretty competitive as well, but not the cheapest like they advertise.

If you want the cheapest prices I've seen, you could go with silencershop.com based out of austin. I wouldn't bother calling any other dealer in Houston regarding suppressors because I've called pretty much all of them. If you find a suppressor outside the state of texas and need to have it transferred, I would recommend houstongunforums.com off of steubner airline. They transfer class III items for $40.

I watched a fairly informative video on purchasing a silencer on the Silencer Shop website. Unless I misunderstood, it sounded like once you make the purchase, they send you the form 4's and contact you with the serial number. That way you can get your paperwork submitted and start the waiting period prior to your local dealer actually taking possesion of the silencer. In that case it wouldnt matter if the dealer to dealer transfer takes two weeks or two months.

Has anyone purchased from this place?

Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That way you can get your paperwork submitted and start the waiting period prior to your local dealer actually taking possesion of the silencer. In that case it wouldnt matter if the dealer to dealer transfer takes two weeks or two months.</div></div>
Submitting Form 4 paperwork for an NFA item that the Form 3 hasn't cleared yet is a no-no. The ATF gets very upset if they discover this happening.

There is nothing wrong with getting your Form 4 all ready to submit, but it cannot be filed until the item is in the possession of the "transferor" listed on the form.

I'll just add that I got mine (well, still waiting --early January!) and it was $100 less than MSRP through the local dealer. I went with the SDN-6 because it'll work on several rifles.

I have since heard that the 51T mounts are "loose" when you try to ratchet it down and some mention resurfacing the contact area. Can't say first hand yet, but I've got four rifles fitted for it when it gets here.

I can also say inconel is some tough stuff. I had a friend that machined the bay door hinges for the space shuttle and he said that was made from inconel for similar reasons --big temperature fluctuations. It also doesn't wear down easy, which is why they usually make the blast baffle out of it I suppose.

Silencedamerica.com Scott is out of Dallas, deal with confidence. PM me if you want more kudos.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: netranger6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Silencedamerica.com Scott is out of Dallas, deal with confidence. PM me if you want more kudos. </div></div>

Scott is great. Email him about pricing on a Cyclone. They are very reasonable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That way you can get your paperwork submitted and start the waiting period prior to your local dealer actually taking possesion of the silencer. In that case it wouldnt matter if the dealer to dealer transfer takes two weeks or two months.</div></div>
Submitting Form 4 paperwork for an NFA item that the Form 3 hasn't cleared yet is a no-no. The ATF gets very upset if they discover this happening.

There is nothing wrong with getting your Form 4 all ready to submit, but it cannot be filed until the item is in the possession of the "transferor" listed on the form. </div></div>

But is it illegal or written anywhere on the form 3 or 4's not to do this? I have no idea. My local dealer said he could do this and the video on the SilencerShop.com (unless I misinterpreted) said you can do this. It may make them "upset" but as long as its legal, i coulndt care less. I'll bet they'll be less upset than I am having to go through this BS process. The reality is by the time the ATF even opens my envelope my local dealer will have it in his posession

I wanted to piggyback another question onto this thread as I didn't find any info searching.

I have a TBAC 30P-1 coming when I get my stamp (looking like Dec :(_). My rifle was threaded by what I would consider a reputable smith 5/8x24. My question is do I just lube up the threads, screw it on and start shooting (providing a cursory looksee by my untrained eye doesn't uncover a glaring misalignment w/ the bore) or do I have a local smith check it for me before taking it out?

Thanks guys.

Dib

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stinger78</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That way you can get your paperwork submitted and start the waiting period prior to your local dealer actually taking possesion of the silencer. In that case it wouldnt matter if the dealer to dealer transfer takes two weeks or two months.</div></div>

There is nothing wrong with getting your Form 4 all ready to submit, but it cannot be filed until the item is in the possession of the "transferor" listed on the form. </div></div>

But is it illegal or written anywhere on the form 3 or 4's not to do this? I have no idea. My local dealer said he could do this and the video on the SilencerShop.com (unless I misinterpreted) said you can do this. It may make them "upset" but as long as its legal, i coulndt care less. I'll bet they'll be less upset than I am having to go through this BS process. The reality is by the time the ATF even opens my envelope my local dealer will have it in his posession </div></div>

Illegal, no; way to add lots of time to your wait if they don't cross in the mail correctly, yes. I'm a dealer and would never drop a Form 4 in the mail for something not in my hands and on my book. I have had items show up in my shop with serial number mismatches with the paperwork. If something should happen in transit, you are now trying to transfer something you don't "own"...won't be a pleasant experience for the SOT.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stinger78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
But is it illegal or written anywhere on the form 3 or 4's not to do this? I have no idea. My local dealer said he could do this and the video on the SilencerShop.com (unless I misinterpreted) said you can do this. It may make them "upset" but as long as its legal, i coulndt care less. I'll bet they'll be less upset than I am having to go through this BS process. The reality is by the time the ATF even opens my envelope my local dealer will have it in his posession </div></div>

Although, I am not a lawyer and this is certainly not legal advice, I don't know that sending the Form 4 before the Form 3 is approved is legal.

This is a quote the Form 4:
"Under Penalties of Perjury, I Declare that I have examined this application, and to the best of my knowledge and belief it is true, correct and complete..."

Since your local dealer does not actually have possession of the suppressor, I am not sure how you can list him as the Transferor.

That being said, if you submitted both the Form 3 and Form 4 at the same time, the Form 3 would likely be approved before your Form 4 ever went pending and it probably would not be noticed. Whether you or your dealer think that is worth the risk is another question.