• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Generic which scope thread

TexasHunter90

Private
Minuteman
Aug 1, 2021
Texas
Hello, allow me to introduce myself, I'm a brand new member (long time lurker) from Texas. I'm a Leo here and over the course of the past year, I have purchased and setup several new rifles.

In the hope of brevity, I have hit a stonewall on deciding on my last two scopes. I currently have several Leupold VX5's on rifles and I have been thoroughly pleased with them. I have two new rifles, both Ruger Precision's and chambered in .300 PRC and .338 LM. Intended purposes of these rifles will be primarily blind hunting and long range playing, with occasional long range West Texas hunting.

I have been looking at the Burris XTR3 and the MK 5 offering from Leupold. That being said, I would originally purchase another VX5 with a bit more magnification, but their reticule selection in mil abysmal in that line. I would like to keep this as anti commie as possible in my purchase, but realize nothing is perfect.

I have used Vortex in the past and I'm not in love with their products. I've looked at Swaro, USO, NF, Steiner, etc. As it stands I would like to keep my budget under 2k per optic and I'd like them both to be identical. I hope I've answered all the criteria and didn't make your eyes bleed. Thanks!

If thats your budget, you are on the right two optics.

Most of the competition in that price point is made in Japan. Both the Burris and the MK5 acquire their glass from Japan, but build the scopes stateside.

I like the better eyebox and larger FOV of the Burris.. but you cant go wrong with either of those.

If thats your budget, you are on the right two optics.

Most of the competition in that price point is made in Japan. Both the Burris and the MK5 acquire their glass from Japan, but build the scopes stateside.

I like the better eyebox and larger FOV of the Burris.. but you cant go wrong with either of those.
Those are what I’m leaning towards, just a bit surprised no one else has chimed in. I don’t love the 35mm tube on the mk5 and I don’t love the below zero hashes on the Burris, maybe I’m being too picky?

Those are what I’m leaning towards, just a bit surprised no one else has chimed in. I don’t love the 35mm tube on the mk5 and I don’t love the below zero hashes on the Burris, maybe I’m being too picky?
I've found the XTR3 SCR2 to be an excellent competitive reticle. In real world usage its functionality is excellent.

I'm also surprised at the lack of responses. This topic usually drags out everyone. 5 to 10% of the people answer the question, the other 90% tell you to get something else entirely 🤣

Reactions: JohnCarter17
Based on what you're looking at: RazorHDG2 EBR-7B >/= XTR3 SCR2 > MK5 PRS2

With Vortex: Razor line + AMG line > everything else (different league, less "prosumer" more "pro").

I wouldn't bother with the Burris or the Leupold unless you can find the SCR2/PRS2 reticles specifically (with both, all their other reticles are shit IMO).

For the Razor, you can find them pretty much everywhere, and while IMO the EBR-7B is the best reticle they offer, the EBR-2B reticle is almost as good (mostly just an open center instead of a floating center dot really). You might be able to save some cash going with an 2C model versus a 7B model, but IMO, unless you're saving ~$200 or more, just get the 7B model.

Based on what you're looking at: RazorHDG2 EBR-7B >/= XTR3 SCR2 > MK5 PRS2

With Vortex: Razor line + AMG line > everything else (different league, less "prosumer" more "pro").

I wouldn't bother with the Burris or the Leupold unless you can find the SCR2/PRS2 reticles specifically (with both, all their other reticles are shit IMO).

For the Razor, you can find them pretty much everywhere, and while IMO the EBR-7B is the best reticle they offer, the EBR-2B reticle is almost as good (mostly just an open center instead of a floating center dot really). You might be able to save some cash going with an 2C model versus a 7B model, but IMO, unless you're saving ~$200 or more, just get the 7B model.
The XTR3 is almost exclusively the SCR2. Theres only a very small sample of SCR reticles.

And XTR3 side by side against the Razor? I think you would be very surprised.

The XTR3 is almost exclusively the SCR2. Theres only a very small sample of SCR reticles.

And XTR3 side by side against the Razor? I think you would be very surprised.

Yes and no, I agree the XTR's might be better, but I wouldn't be surprised. I'd probably prefer one over a Razor just because it doesn't only come in shit brown haha.

Supposedly, Bushnell will be releasing their XRS3 any day now... and that's supposedly going to be a contender in this exact same space, but we'll see...

FWIW, I've noticed lately that most of the top PRS-type reticles are all starting to get a bit less busy and look relatively the same whether it's SKMR4 (Kahles), MR4 (Minox), G4 (Bushnell), etc... the trend seems to be: a floating dot, a lot more 0.25 hashes instead of .2 hashes (less busy), mostly open top half (less in the way for spotting splash/impacts).

Everyone has little things they prefer, but in general I like the move towards less busy reticles... IMO we don't need to always be looking through a screen door when most of the time we don't need all that shit. Some, like the Burris, even give you the option to run a capped windage knob to make things even simpler (which I dig).

In general, I like the trend with some of the scopes towards a "less equals more" approach. JMHO but if I need to measure more than 5 mils off of just about anything (including movers), I'm dialing. And if I need more than 5 mils to measure splash, it's not the reticle's fault I suck haha.

Reactions: JohnCarter17
Well, leupold had the mk5’s yesterday in stock and as luck would have it, my card got flagged for fraud when I ordered. By the time I could verify the transaction, out of stock. 😢