• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gentelman Which would you prefer ?

darrindlh

Private
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2009
I am in the process of reberreling my savage stevens 300wm. Which barrel would you prefer the prefit mcgowen barrel or the prefit shillen barrel and why? All opinions welcome

Darrin

Re: Gentelman Which would you prefer ?

Darrin,

My experience with Shilen is great. I don't and haven't owned any McGowens. I've heard nothing but good about them too. Cost-wise, it's always seemed the Shilen gets it done for less.

Now to the issue I have with the post. You want both of these barrels to be prefit. I know in the long run it may take a little more money but why not have your gunsmith cut the chamber. You can get it done your way that way. Or, send your rifle in and let either Shilen or McGowen do your barrel. The big issue to me is length of throat and what you will use to shoot it.

If you can talk to either company's gunsmith who will cut the chamber and decide what exactly YOU want then that's okay if you get it pre-fit.

I totally hear what you are saying. could you please explain to me about why I would like to change the throat of the new barrel? What advantages do i get? Sorry I am new and this is my first project. I know that this is a simple question. Thanks

Darrin

A factory chamber of a gun you buy over the counter is cut in a fashion that allows is to shoot all manner of factory ammo. It is an example of one size fits all....poorly.

A chamber that is cut to your bullet has much is just that....it is made for your bullet that you have selected and will yield much better results at the range.

I would recommend Shilen over McGowen but would recommend Lothar/Walther over either one of the others. Lothar has better steel and mine will out-shoot my Shilens and will out last them too.

Hope I'm not highjacking..How do you determine the ideal throat? Is it determined by case volume of powder(100%??) or is there an ideal seating depth to the brass?

Shilen's shoot fine but the grooves are shallow = shorter barrel life, and you'll do good to get 2000 rounds out of a WM with a premium barrel anyways.

I have no idea what maker Mcgowen get's their barrel from. i'm totally unfamiliar with them/him, shim.

89T295:
typically for ultimate accuracy you do not want the bearing surface of the bullet past the neck, into the body of the case. so a chamber is typically throated to a length that with the bullet seated 90% into the neck, the ogive of the bullet is just touching the riflings.

Another thing to add to this, some long projectiles, typically VLD's do not often allow magazine length loading... what this means is that hunters using VLDs for long range may have to seat those bullets so far forward that the magazine is no longer of any use.

VLDs can be hard to get to shoot, and theres no one formula for all guns so unfortunately you have to do load development to find out for yourself. You may be lucky enough to have found an COAL that allows mag loading... if not, tuff luck.

The point im getting to, is that if you approach your smith and tell him you want to shoot VLDs close to the rifling but still have magazine length rounds, he may be able to customize your chamber to allow for this.

Perfect example, Berger is talking about releasing a new 300gr .338 projectile. I can tell you now, that projectile will be so long it may not allow people to shoot it at its most accurate COAL AND still be a magazine length round. A solution to this is a custom cut chamber.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Darrin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I totally hear what you are saying. could you please explain to me about why I would like to change the throat of the new barrel? What advantages do i get? Sorry I am new and this is my first project. I know that this is a simple question. Thanks

Darrin</div></div>

Darrin,

All the answers given above are why, especially Scooty Puff Sr. Factory chambers are cut for 'one size fits all'. You can have a gunsmith start a chamber out at the exact length for the bullet you intend to use and you can chase the lands out with that bullet as it erodes and maintain accuracy. Once you get too far to either fit in a magazine (which really boils down to action choice, not barrel or smith) or just have the bullet still able to be seated correctly in the case and touch the lands before you set the barrel back and do it all over again.

Also, Triggerhappy made a good point about the Lothar Walther. Their name isn't as big in the benchrest world as Shilen or Hart but they make great barrels. The harder material he refers to is a higher nickel alloy steel named LW50. I had one of their barrels on my AR-30 in .300 WM and it is good. Very little erosion in a thousand rounds (by me, I bought it used).

I've never used a Mcgowen barrel,but have fired alot of rounds down some shilen barrels with great results in my savages.I have had great success with S/S Lothar Walther barrels made by Dave Moore of Ferret firearms.He makes drop in barrel's for savages that shoot as good or better than any barrel I've put on a savage rifle.He could probobly put any type of chamber you'd like into one if you ask nicely.
STEVE