• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Genuine Remington M40 stock found?

MescaBug

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2012
Baie-Comeau, Quebec
One of my buddies went to a gunshow last weekend. I couldnt make it, so I asked him to look for anything Remington 700, USMC stuff, Lee Enfield parts... I got a call from him 5 min after the doors opened. He waited 45 min at -15 to have first dibs on interesting bargains.

He told me a gentleman was selling a bunch of stuff, including a Remington wood stock without checkering. That caught his attention. Seller told him it came off a "large barrel Remington sniper gun. You know, for the soldiers?"

That's vague so I asked a few questions, he cut me off and said; "Man, there are 15 people waiting in line behind me to see his stuff. I buy now or I go to the next booth." It was cheap so I gave him the go ahead. At that price, I dont mind loosing a few bucks if its worthless. He text me back later and said he will mail the stock to me on Monday (thats last week).

Got the stock On Friday. I was stoked. I am confident that this is a genuine M40 stock.

- Correct metal checkered buttplate

- Round tip heavy barrel channel

- Its unfortunate, but I had to remove some material from the barrel channel to look for a threaded insert for the front swivel. Its there. I dont know any other Remington guns that uses a threaded front swivel like the M40.

- It is glass bedded, and the barrel channel has been re-inforced with some type of material (fiberglass?).

- It came with a beat-up bottom metal painted in flat olive drab and a milled follower.

- We can clearly see some paint overspray in the receiver area, same olive drab color.

- Nylon sling with parkerized ends

The gentleman told him he didnt know much about it. Except that it was on a old Rem 700 rifle, he removed the stock because it was beat-up. Used some thinner to get most of the paint off but stopped when he notice some type of varnish under it. He replaced it and still have the original rifle. Got it from a flee market in Vermont sometimes in the 80's. He was busy selling his stuff and answering customers questions. "No time to chat" he said to my buddy. At least he gave him his name, so I will try to get in touch.

The buttplate screws are Loctite. I'm afraid I will strip the screw heads, it wont move. Same thing with the front swivels, the insert started to rotate slightly so I stopped. There must be some Loctite in there too. Which would be correct for a heavy-duty battle rifle.

It is beat-up. The slings smells like old socks!

From Peter Senich's book:

Scout-Sniper Charles B. Mawhinney with USMC M700 sniper rifle (An Hoa, 1968). According to Mawhinney, “The rifle stock was painted green when the weapon was issued.” (Early efforts to waterproof sniper rifle stocks in Vietnam included “sealing measures” involving the use of paint. USMC ordnance papers indicate gray or green were “acceptable colors.”)

Solutions to problem with the Remington M40 rifle:

The stock warps at the forend, touching the barrel and adversely affecting accuracy. Additionally, as the weather conditions change, the stock tends to dry or absorb moisture causing the receiver to become excessively loose or tight, adversely affecting the zero and accuracy of the rifle. The brass pin to the rear of the magazine mortise is ineffective. The stock is not sufficiently waterproofed as the oil treatment is totally unsatisfactory in this climate.

Comment: All rifle stocks have been fiberglassed locally through the receiver section and the barrel channels have been relieved to prevent stock warpage affecting accuracy.

Recommended Solution:

a. Adopt a high grade, pressure epoxy-impregnated stock.
b. Fiberglass the receivers and full-float the barrel channels at the factory. Waterproof the barrel channels.
c. Replace the brass pin with a Mauser-type special stock lock.
d. Adopt the use of a waterproof finish such as hard polyurethane varnish, then paint the stocks a dull-grey or non-gloss dark green to eliminate reflection.

c. Determination of the most effective means for impregnation of the stock to prevent warping.

NOTE: Impregnating wooden stocks with epoxy served as an effective means of waterproofing the stock and eliminating warpage. Although linseed oil, in various forms and mixtures, was employed for waterproofing sniper rifle stocks in Vietnam, according to a III MAF field report, “the use of linseed oil is not considered an adequate preventative measure.”

NOTE: Appropriate instructions pertaining to glass-bedding and waterproofing of stocks were provided to the CG, III MAF in a CMC letter (8 May 1968), and to the field units in a bulletin dated 16 December 1968. In response to the recommendation that sniper rifle stocks be glass-bedded and waterproofed prior to shipment to Southeast Asia, the MTU, Quantico, Virginia, was tasked (6 June 1969) with “waterproofing and glass-bedding all Marine Corps sniper rifle stocks that are presently held in the supply centers.” The term glass-bedding” is generally known as the process of using liquid fiberglass, epoxy, or similar materials to obtain an exact matching fit between the stock and the action/receiver. This procedure was considered essential in maintaining accuracy with a competition and/or sniping rifle. Various commercial bedding products were employed by the Army and Marine Corps MTUs for this purpose. Of further interest in this matter, even though authorized bedding materials were eventually shipped overseas, according to a veteran RTE armorer, “We used steel epoxy from the AMTRAC repair kits for bedding M700 sniper rifles when nothing else was available.” Measures such as this were indicative of the improvising that took place in Vietnam.

Looks like this stock went through some of the recommended solutions; it was painted, with a varnish under it that is more effective than linseed oil. Action is bedded, and looks like the barrel channel was bedded/waterproofed? I usually am a non-believer if there is no paperwork. But, I am very confident that this is genuine. The finish looks exactly the same as Chuck's rifle, and some other genuine documented M40 rifles.

Please let me know if you find any other specific details on the following pictures. I used different lighting (day, night) to capture all the details.

Thanks for looking. Any opinions would be greatly appreciate.

Thats Awesome Mesca.....Great find! I'vealways said, if you beat the street and stay vigilant in your searching. These things are out there...Slim as they may be, If you know what you looking for or take chances such as you did. You will periodically find that gem.
Again, nice find Mesca. Cant wait to see it on a build!
Cheers!

I finally was able to remove the buttplate. Took almost an hour, very slowly as I didnt want to strip the heads. The screws were stuck. My guess is that maybe the wood swelled because of moisture?

We can see that water or a liquid of some sort dripped down the buttstock. There is a masking tape label on the buttplate. It is so old I cant even touch it, it goes to dust. Could that be the rifle last 4 digit? Again, that's a guess.... There is a faint "US" mark on the buttstock.

This is getting more and more interesting!

I have an original Remington Walnut Stock for Remington Police Sniper Rifle from late 1970's early 1980s. It is similar to your stock but lacks epoxy and US marked butt. Metal but plate and fixed swivels that look like yours. I think you actually have a M40 stock. Very jealous here

geoff3: Thanks for posting. Saw that one too.

The Chandlers (Iron Brigade Armory) have a genuine M40 stock for sale. 1500$. Take a look at the finish, exact same 'varnish' type as on my stock.

To all those making M40 clones... I'm thinking the oil/satin finish might not be right. Every genuine stock we saw have a varnish glossy finish. Its the impregnation mentionned in Senich's book.

Do you think that the varnishing may have been done post war?

Do you think that the varnishing may have been done post war?

I dont think so. Its been documented that the oil finish was not sufficient to protect the stock against moisture and rain. It was highly recommended that the stock be epoxy impregnated or finished with a varnish/lacquer. There is also reference about painting the stock in a olive drab paint.

Reactions: SGT_G
I have 3 correct M40 stocks, 2 of them came on complete Mil contract rifles, they are ALL oil finished, the contract to Remington required Oil finish.

In country Marines were allowed paint them OD Green, Cammo or Navy Grey (Ship paint was available in massive quantities.
This is a pic of Chuck Mawhinney at Liberty bridge in the Arizona Territory showing someones cammo job, Chuck said this was not his rifle but he did carry one that was OD Green for a while.

Varnish may have been applied later in their service lives but not in Nam, don't forget the M14's were oiled and each Marine was issued a bottle of linseed oil until the M16's were issued.

One other thing, when looking for an M40 stock, there are 2 distinguishing characteristics, there is a bump right behind the hole for the safety and the butt plates NEVER and I mean NEVER were silver on the sides, they were all black! Varmint rifles were silver and the Retro M40's were silver NOT issue guns.

I have seen and handles many real M40, I have never seen an impregnated M40.

Well, must be a fake then. I dont know anybody who has handle all 700-800 (not sure) M40 that were issued.

The Chandlers are also selling a fake M40 stock then. Looks like its varnished and buttplate is missing. At 1500$, I do hope they did their homework before posting it as a genuine M40 stock.

Last edited:
I didn't say it was a fake, I said,

"Varnish may have been applied later in their service lives but not in Nam, don't forget the M14's were oiled and each Marine was issued a bottle of linseed oil until the M16's were issued."

I did not suggest I handled all of them or even most, I bet I have handled more of them than almost anyone on this site.

I did mention the CONTRACT... the document which calls out the specifications for how the rifle will be made said OIL finish.

Last edited:
Hi Marty,
Could you put up a picture of the bump behind the safety please?

I didn't say it was a fake, I said,

"Varnish may have been applied later in their service lives but not in Nam, don't forget the M14's were oiled and each Marine was issued a bottle of linseed oil until the M16's were issued."

I did not suggest I handled all of them or even most, I bet I have handled more of them than almost anyone on this site.

I did mention the CONTRACT... the document which calls out the specifications for how the rifle will be made said OIL finish.

I hear you Marty. My comment about handling all M40 wasnt aimed at you. What I meant to say was; we dont know every individual M40 rifles. I hope my comment was not interpreted as sarcasm or anything. I am french, my english is just average.

Thing is, I dont know what to believe anymore when it comes to M40, M40A1. Things happened 40 years ago, of course most of us were not there to see it with our own eyes.

The Chandler's stock and the one I found, both have a 'varnish' type finish that was suggested in the contract. Senich's book clearly refers to it. Is it genuine or not? Did it happen during or post war? I guess we'll never know for sure.

I've always heard that the 'silver' buttplates is just discoloration from heavy use and rubbing against the shoulder. Looking back at pictures of genuine M40, it is true that most have a black buttplate. But most pictures where taken in Nam, when rifles were almost new. Or they are of musuem pieces that have been either very well preserved, or refurb.

Chucks's rifle clearly has a varnish type finish. It is glossy. Has it been refurb after war? Maybe.

Anyhow, I appreciate you commenting on this.

Mesca,

Sorry if I was curt, But I do have a great deal of first hand knowledge and a great source of second hand knowledge about the M40.

Mark Limpic, Chuck Mawhinney and Randy Jose are 1968-1970 Marine snipers from 1st Marine division 5th Battalion and are friends of mine so I have access to a lot if information. I also have some access to the M40's in storage at Crane Naval Surface Warfare Center as well as the PWS so I have quite a bit of knowledge.

I have in my personal collection a mint condition, never fired, M40 made in Aug 1969, it has never been through rebuild or service of any kind.

It has:

An oil finish only.

Black butt plate and you are right they did wear and get silver, but they never started out that way.

I has no bedding or waterproofing of any kind.

I have a surplus M40 that was made in Sept 69 that has the same features.

Chucks rifle in the Marine Corps Museum was rebuilt by Staff Sergeant Eric Reid, USMC/RTE shop Quantico VA. When rebuilt is was coated with Birchwood Casey Tung oil, a type of varnish.
It's stock, which was an M40 stock (but not original to chucks rifle), did show signs of Bisonite bedding. Bisonite was first available in 1972 or 73 so not many would have been bedded with it during the war.

The bedding in your stock appears to be Bisonite, so that's a plus, your triggerguard looks correct for the period and the follower is absolutely correct for an M40, subtle differences from the commercial version.
The sling is an M14 period correct sling, but no one knows for sure if the rifles had the nylon M1 sling or the cotton web M1 sling.
Photos show that most of the rifles ended up with M1917 leather slings in theater.

Macca

This is an early stock, first production batch based on the last 4 stamped into the pistol grip, this stock was refinished by me and was tung oiled.

The bump on this stock is pretty obvious right behind the safety

Note the difference in the pistol grip between the Gen 1 M40 and the lower Gen 2 M40, the bump is just as big on the lower rifle but because the stock is dull it doesn't show up like on the top Tung oiled (Shinny) rifle.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly from conversation with him back in '99, Chuck's original receiver was sought out and found in an issued M40A1 at Pendleton. I can imagine it had been rebuilt at least a couple-few times over since he carried it in '68. Following that it was returned to Quantico and rebuilt for display in the then upcoming National Museum of the Marine Corps.

Awesome history lessons here. Thanks all for the information, Marty in particular. You have all the cool shit...

Thanks Marty,
One more favour,could you post a detailed picture of the bump please?
Until your last post I really did think I was in with a chance of building an accurate representation of a gen 2 M40.(It's difficult getting scopes or scope refurbishments sent to Australia & to the best of my knowledge-the only 6 digit receivers in circulation are only small bolt face type).
Now i'm not exactly sure if I can re profile my Numrich stock to mimic the gen 2 pistol grip,maybe I can re profile the bump though.
The pistol grip difference's are as obvious as .... .....,once it's pointed out-I just had the end goal in sight & missed it.

Awesome info Marty, keep it coming! I know that you are a very reliable source when it comes to USMC/Vietnam stuff. Any more information you can provide will be very much appreciated. I saw a few pictures of your impressive rifles collection, its like a museum ;)

As for the bump, like Macca I would like to see more pictures. I just cant seem to figure out which bump you're talking about!

Mesca,

Sorry if I was curt, But I do have a great deal of first hand knowledge and a great source of second hand knowledge about the M40.

Mark Limpic, Chuck Mawhinney and Randy Jose are 1968-1970 Marine snipers from 1st Marine division 5th Battalion and are friends of mine so I have access to a lot if information. I also have some access to the M40's in storage at Crane Naval Surface Warfare Center as well as the PWS so I have quite a bit of knowledge.

I have in my personal collection a mint condition, never fired, M40 made in Aug 1969, it has never been through rebuild or service of any kind.

It has:

An oil finish only.

Black butt plate and you are right they did wear and get silver, but they never started out that way.

I has no bedding or waterproofing of any kind.

I have a surplus M40 that was made in Sept 69 that has the same features.

Chucks rifle in the Marine Corps Museum was rebuilt by Staff Sergeant Eric Reid, USMC/RTE shop Quantico VA. When rebuilt is was coated with Birchwood Casey Tung oil, a type of varnish.
It's stock, which was an M40 stock (but not original to chucks rifle), did show signs of Bisonite bedding. Bisonite was first available in 1972 or 73 so not many would have been bedded with it during the war.

The bedding in your stock appears to be Bisonite, so that's a plus, your triggerguard looks correct for the period and the follower is absolutely correct for an M40, subtle differences from the commercial version.
The sling is an M14 period correct sling, but no one knows for sure if the rifles had the nylon M1 sling or the cotton web M1 sling.
Photos show that most of the rifles ended up with M1917 leather slings in theater.

Macca

Note the difference in the pistol grip between the Gen 1 M40 and the lower Gen 2 M40, the bump is just as big on the lower rifle but because the stock is dull it doesn't show up like on the top Tung oiled (Shinny) rifle.

Marty, the black buttplate looks painted but I'm judging that off of your pictures. Does the buttplate look painted in person? The butt plate I bought for my build was blued (or anodized or something) and was the same color as the back of it (where the stippling is.) My understanding was that the buttplate started off being over sized, then was ground down to fit the shape of the buttstock. Were they then painted/colored black after contouring? Is it possible that during use and wear the paint was rubbed off? I'm just guessing here. Thank you so much for providing information on the M40. It definitely helped out my build and my commemorative rifle is quickly becoming the favorite in my collection.

Also, the L42A1 in your collage pictures is beautiful. It's on the top of my list for rifles to get.

Thanks again!
-Aur0ra145

I will get some better pics of the bumps.

The butt plate are anodized, and yes they will wear after quite a bit of use, but I mean A LOT! Anodize is Aluminum Oxide, its the same thing Ruby's are made from, Hard as gems stones.
So it wears slowly and it will not be evenly worn all around the butt, this is a way to tell what you have.

According to Fred M (last name hidden for his sake) one of the engineers that worked on the M40 and even the M24, said that "the butt plates were die cast over sized, screwed in place,
sanded down, removed and stamped with a 2 digit number then sent off to anodizing. The stock also gets that number so the parts and be reunited after finish. I will pull the butt of 1 or 2 of our M40's and get pics. The rifles were made in lots of no more than 100 so plates did not get switched.

Sporting stocks get an anodized butt, sanded to fit and off to stock finishing leaving the butt silver.

There is a company that borrowed one of my M40 stocks and is offering a ready to sand/finish clone. Custom Rifle Stocks, G]the guys name is Jesse. 814 349-2410 in Aaronsburg, PA.
This is as close as you will ever get to a correct M40 stock w/o buying an original. The one catch is there are no correct butt plates available.

Good info, thanks! I would very much like to see some pics of those rifles (buttplates). You can send private if you dont want to share publicly.

This is the "Safety Bump" it was added to add strength to the safety cutout.

Butt plates of 3 M40 rifles, note the 2 digit number to keep the plate with the stock and there is no US marking.

Last edited:
Missed one

Note the part number and the cavity number on the plate.

Yep, Sometimes its difficult keeping track of a herd of beautiful unicorns and you lose track of how many you have.

Thank you for taking your gems apart for educational pics.