• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing George's Hammer

psinclair

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2008
Glasgow, Montana
novdeer037.jpg

Eastern Montana was the proving ground for George's new "6.5 4S", driving 130gr Berger Hunting VLD's at 3300fps. That is a Templar short action, Bartlein #3 fluted barrel(1-8.2") and Vias brake. The stock is a Manners SL. APA detachable bottom, running AI mags.

The cow elk above was taken with one broadside shot at 310 yards. That's the exit hole facing the camera. She took about six steps and went down. Too bad we didn't have a bull permit, as there was a 360" 6X6 standing with her.....maybe next year!
novdeer042.jpg

After loading up George's elk, we continued on looking for a good mule deer buck. On the first day we saw several good bucks, but decided to wait and be a little picky. We had bumped into this buck only after a few hours on day one. George told me that night, if he saw him again he would take him. We found him a day later in the same area chasing a smaller buck away from a doe. George took him offhand in the timber at less than 50 yards. Another one shot kill for the new rifle.

novdeer027.jpg

We both love coyote hunting and there was no shortage of them where we hunted. We called in this pair and counted "three", downing both dogs at the same time only a few feet apart from 220 yards. He used his 6MM Creedmoor comp rifle with the new Bushnell XLR 4-30X50, I used my lightweight GAP .260 scoped with a S&B 10X42 PMII.

Re: George's Hammer

novdeer075.jpg

Plates shot at 800 yards with the "GAP Extreme Hunter", 6.5 4S. I've never seen a bullet get to 800 as fast as those 130 VLD's. It was noticably quicker than my .260, George's 6 Creed and another friend's 7WSM shooting 180 VLD's at 3000fps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine is serial # 2.....your's is going to be # 3 right? </div></div>

grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TRAAV</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So what exactly is a "6.5 4S" </div></div>

Its a 7mm SAUM necked down to 6.5 SAUM. They are a smoking flat round!!
Very high up on my favorite caliber list.

OK yea I've heard of the 6.5 SAUM but never heard it called a 4S. Thought maybe it was something new
smile.gif

As usual, the hunt with Pat did not disappoint!!! We saw many gorgeous animals in the 5 days I was there, absolutely beautiful country. Thanks Pat for the great time. Lest I not leave out some kudos for Scott, he and I made some great hunts on dogs while I was there and perfected the technique of stalking Pheasants. Cannot wait for the Ice Breaker 2013!!!

Very nice, all around!!!

I'm curious as to your guy's thoughts of the Manners SL compared to the MCM Hunter's Edge stocks? I have a 6.5mm fluted #3 Bartlein and am considering stock options still. Not sure how balance would be in an Edge?

George, you have a weight on your rifle by chance?

Thanks

novdeer056.jpg

Our pal Doug Young and George with Doug's buck he took with his GAP 7WSM at 280 yards with a 180gr Berger VLD.

He tried to use his Kestrel.....grin!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks George...
grin.gif

It was a blast ! Lots of fun for sure...

Think I got a good bird pic of ya too </div></div>

Scott, put that picture up! It's a dandy!

Looks like a great time guys! Nice pics as always....interesting cartridge George was using.

Yeah...Ice Breaker 2013, I need to try and be there.

Actually, I like a good day hunting pheasants as well or better than deer hunting.

Few things better than a good dog and pretty of birds on a sunny afternoon. Yes, pheasant hunting is right up there.

novdeer048.jpg

Another one for the 6 Creed.

George is getting that "long arm" pose down to a science.....grin!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

George is getting that "long arm" pose down to a science.....grin!</div></div>

He doesn't need to as long as he's got you around...

smile.gif

What I see is that each picture, George's grin is getting bigger and bigger.

That last pic says he's having more fun than a puppy that just found a second peter!

I have to admit, i really enjoyed my first pheasant hunt last month.

Cheers,
Breeze

PGS and George,

If you guys were up around Ft Peck for this hunt, I was also there Friday morning around the Burke Ranch. Got my buck early that morning. Sure wish I could hook up with you guys some time. Sounds like you had a great hunt and good times as usual. Congrats!

Geb

PGS... your the man, thanks for all the pics... not many get a variety like you fellas, and there are slim to none with your skill set. I enjoy the posts, and keep em coming.
once again, nice work fellas, godspeed with the rest of the season.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...with the new Bushnell XLR 4-30X50 ...</div></div>

Any link to a product or more info? I did some research and all I found was the "XRS 4.5-30x 50mm"

Let's just say I'd love to see a 4-30x50 with a FFP G2DMR but the 4-30 is interesting enough all by it self.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skinney</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PGS... your the man, thanks for all the pics... not many get a variety like you fellas, and there are slim to none with your skill set. I enjoy the posts, and keep em coming. </div></div>
Skinney,
Have to agree 100% on the skill set, and photo skills of PGS. Just the pic of the deer under his name is bigger than 99% of hunters will ever see.
But you need to see his playground, the Charles M Russell National Wildlife Refuge bordering Fort Peck is some awesome country. The Missouri River breaks in SD pale greatly in comparison. It's probably the only place in the US, other than Alaska where people take a boat elk hunting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c_bass16</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...with the new Bushnell XLR 4-30X50 ...</div></div>

Any link to a product or more info? I did some research and all I found was the "XRS 4.5-30x 50mm"

Let's just say I'd love to see a 4-30x50 with a FFP G2DMR but the 4-30 is interesting enough all by it self. </div></div>

Cool, I'm not the only one looking it up and hitting a wall! What's the crack guys, you let the cat outta the bag......throw us a bone.

Breeze

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Southbreeze</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c_bass16</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...with the new Bushnell XLR 4-30X50 ...</div></div>

Let's just say I'd love to see a 4-30x50 with a FFP G2DMR but the 4-30 is interesting enough all by it self. </div></div>

Cool, I'm not the only one looking it up and hitting a wall! What's the crack guys, you let the cat outta the bag......throw us a bone.

Breeze </div></div>

I hit up google as soon as I read this too and came up empty. Bump for more info...

novdeer025.jpg

Another coyote George took at 200 yards with the 6 Creed and new Bushy.

The scope has a zero stop, 10 mil elevation revs, and the same locking turrets as the HDMR.

You fellers are having a banner year by any standard, grizzlys, mulies, yotes and pheasant etc... ya'll are creating a lot of memories to last a lifetime. Good on ya for working and living hard.
Congrats again!!

Looks like a lot of fun! Taking my GAP 7wsm out this weekend for a little fun myself. I will have to do some research on the 6.5 4s. Sounds interesting.

PGS, thanks for the bone
smile.gif

I don't guess they'll be ready for Christmas.....or there'd be more buzz. Cool y'all got some new super secret gear and get to share it with the rest of us kids!

The question is, do you like it enough to put on one of your shootin' irons?

Thanks for the fine pix,
Breeze

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
novdeer025.jpg

The scope has a zero stop, 10 mil elevation revs, and the same locking turrets as the HDMR. </div></div>

Are they still waiting until shot show to release this scope?

PGS: Great pics. What part of the state were you hunting?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: InkedIan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
novdeer025.jpg

The scope has a zero stop, 10 mil elevation revs, and the same locking turrets as the HDMR. </div></div>

Are they still waiting until shot show to release this scope?</div></div>

It is the 4-30x50 XRS Group buy started in Group buy section

After dealing with this hunting season I'm thinking I need a new toy. What is the weight of that rifle with out the scope? How is the noise level on that break, and can you get the lightweight Talley rings for that action? I'm seriously considering culling the herd and breaking one of these off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After dealing with this hunting season I'm thinking I need a new toy. What is the weight of that rifle with out the scope? How is the noise level on that break, and can you get the lightweight Talley rings for that action? I'm seriously considering culling the herd and breaking one of these off. </div></div>

W/O scope it's going to go about seven pounds. Either Talley LW 1" or 30MM rings will go right on a Templar with 8X40 fasteners. George orders them from Talley for those size receiver holes.

I was with George when he took his critters with it and I didn't have ear protection. It was quieter than a lot of other brakes I've been around. When I shot steel with it, the recoil was simalar to a .243.