• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Germany’s next service rifle- HK416

Quick barrel switch would surely be a nice feature. Starting to be the new default but for combat rifles it probably requires more material to remain robust.

They had to do something and quick as the G36 was a total disaster.

"Overheating affected the accuracy of the G36, making it difficult to hit targets past 100 meters, ineffective past 200 meters, and incapable of effective fire past 300 meters. The G36 has been called unsuitable for long battles. Operational commanders advised allowing the weapon to cool between periods of rapid shooting."
1671562926942.png

"Overheating affected the accuracy of the G36, making it difficult to hit targets past 100 meters, ineffective past 200 meters, and incapable of effective fire past 300 meters. The G36 has been called unsuitable for long battles. Operational commanders advised allowing the weapon to cool between periods of rapid shooting."
View attachment 8025973
There was some article I saw briefly this morning that said that only about 1/3 of Germany's weapon systems are currently operational. But the article was barely three lines and poorly translated from German, so it might only have been 1/3 of their assorted armour. Either way, the G36 is a nice gun on paper and in a clean, relatively-low-use environment (i.e., police use like in the UK), but holy melting handguards, Batman, it was a terrible option for sustained use.

View attachment 8025973
I knew it was bad but didn't realize it was this bad

Reactions: babyguppy

I'm rolling my eyes.

Who thinks that tiny barrel should be cold and accurate after a few mag dumps?

As for the OT, the 416 used to have some serious issues. It does need a longer hand guard..

I'm rolling my eyes.

Who thinks that tiny barrel should be cold and accurate after a few mag dumps?

As for the OT, the 416 used to have some serious issues. It does need a longer hand guard..
gotta be honest, the 416 looks to have a pretty thin barrel as well from the pics

Reactions: babyguppy
if you go look on hkpro the ATF recently said no more HK "pistols" (aka MR223 semi version of hk416A5) so no we will not even see the semi version. Have g36k, 36C mr223 11" and the 16" ... love the european Mrs (not the usa junk we got the 556 and 762)

When my friend got the LMT I got little jealous about the quick barrel switch. I'd like to have it just to keep the old barrel for volume shooting and separate barrel for precision shooting.

The HKey is a bit too proprietary for me but at least the rails that HK makes are very nice quality.

The rail on my A3 that also ends at gas port is indeed just barely long enough I got my sling attachment to fit at 12 o'clock before interrupting scope cap from opening. I do not think they are going to be mounting a sling at 12 and running full size scopes though. So it might be enough for nightsights etc use.

Seems to me I've read and watched quite a bit over the years about the G36 heat issue being mostly debunked.
I don't know, I know it's not favored but wasn't aware of heat issues to that degree (no pun intented:))

Truth be told, never cared enough to investigate

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
I too have read it was unsubstantiated.
I guess the truth is somewhere in between, maybe some bad individual rifles.