• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Get Involved!

Revenge Seeker

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2007
VA. U.S.A
As some of you have already read, I am soon going to be machining my own Bolt Action from a Remington 700 style raceway Blank (Bolt Bore and Raceways ONLY cut)

My intent is to built this action (#001) for personal use only, with the possibility of Patenting, getting licensed, and marketing in the future. So;

I want to know what you, the end user, desire in a fresh new design bolt action- ideas should include things as such-

1) Thread tennon Length

2) Thread Diameter

3) Integral recoil lug(s) or standard

4) Port Design/ Location (as well as single/dual)

5) Extractor type

6) Repeater capability ( Single Shot/ Repeater (if second, then magazine style)

7) Integral Rail or standard drill/tap for mounts

8) Bolt Release style

Any opinions are Greatly appreciated!
Get Involved, who knows, you could be aiding in the design of the next Benchmark in target/tactical actions!

Re: Get Involved!

Just what would you patented? You would have to have some very unique design to get a sole patented.

I would do some research of all the many different manufactures out there to just see what they offer.

I think you'll find pretty much any ideas that are passed on are already being done, and being done by more then one manufacture.

If you plan on making a receiver settle on doing it for yourself. If it works out then look into being the sole manufacture, but that's a larger endeavor in itself just getting set up as a manufacture with the FFL licensing and dealing with Excise Tax and ITAR.

If you plan on having it made for you on a strictly licensing deal with another manufacture doing the work you won’t make much money doing it that way to allow you to compete with the other manufactures out there.

Good luck, I'm looking forward to what you come up with.