• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Get me started

wjwalker76

Private
Minuteman
May 25, 2012
Virginia
I have been thinking about reloading for a while. I currently shoot a Remington 700 SPS tactical utilizing Federal 168 grain gold match ammo and I am happy with the performance. I have never reloaded a round in my life so I need some help getting started.

Re: Get me started

Seems I didnt need to post the question anyway. Lots of other posts have already been started on this topic. seems i have a lot to learn.

Go to your local library and get the "ABC's of reloading" great book, or purchase and older one online. Also you can get a Hodgdons reloading manual (it is only $3 in magazine form.) Has descriptions of all IMR Hodgdon powders and loads for rifles.

Get a notebook and start writing everything down.

Start with your rifle, bbl length , twist rate.

And your ammo, FGMM, what is the drop at 300, at 600? What is the bc of the 168 SMK, what would be the result if you had a 175 SMK traveling at the same velocity? How about your FGMM at 10K feet elevation.

As you start to answer these questions, and learn about reloading, you can set a goal to match your current factory load.

Have fun, check twice, be safe.

1. Fill out your profile. This way you can find someone in your area to help you.

2. Find a friend who reloads. No friends? Make some, see #1.

3. Learn some actual hands on reloading first if at all possible. There is no video on youtube that can trump this experience.

4. Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Any idiot can give you advice on a public forum. How are you gonna know if it is good advice?

5. You don't need the latest and greatest to load great ammo. Start simple and small and master the basics. I loaded great ammo for 10 years with no more than a press,dies,balance beam,loading block and some lube. Calipers and a trimmer are absolute must as well. You can get calipers as cheap as 10 bucks and they are fine for your purpose.

6. Even if you are bound and determined to neck size
confused.gif
, learn to properly set up a full length resizing die, you may thank me later. I will give you instructions on a method that uses no tools you don't already possess if you would like, a PM will do.

If you can afford it buy a good reloading kit ( RCBS or better ) and same with the dies, I have a inexpensive kit that didn't get much use before it was replaced, and like someone said it already hands on experience is the best training you can get IMO, sometimes sporting goods stores have reloading classes that are inexpensive and a good point to start, gun clubs and shooting ranges are also a good place to find a mentor, just look for the guys saving their brass or picking up the brass that others leave behind, If you approach them and express your interest in reloading most of the time they are happy to help. Hope this helps

I learned back in the pre-internet days. My small town library didn't have anything to help. I learned from a Lyman's reloading manual and the Speer manual that came with the RBCS AmmoCrafter kit. I made some pretty decent ammo with that basic setup and basic skills, at least for 100-200 yard shooting.