• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Get ur snowshovels ready-summer is over

SDWhirlwind

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 14, 2004
All you easterners and southerners ready for winter to begin???? Next few days is gonna draw up the nutsack a bit they is sayin!!! Someone tell me how much fun 24" of snow in Chicago is gonna be? Might chase out some of the trash, eh?

Only 3.5" more yesterday for snow but was -51 windchill about 10AM yesterday and a balmy -42 @ 7ish this AM. My minpin didn't hardly stop and drop this morning, just slowed down for a couple of feet on the pee run. A high of -9 yesterday and predicting a whole -5ish today! My tolerance for winter gets about 1wk shorter every yr older I get. Taking a leak outside is impossible for this old man. Gotta stick my finger up my ass and holler snake to get it to stick out enough for a quick grab!!!!!
smile.gif

Stay safe everyone and leave the stupid to someone else!!!!

Respectfully,
Dennis

Re: Get ur snowshovels ready-summer is over

Up in here Central NY (Rochester/Syracuse/Elmira) we got 4" overnight in Dundee, which is currently experiencing a lull in the snowfall. This was atop several inches of old accumulation. Dundee is about 10-12 miles above Watkins glen just in from the West shore of Seneca Lake.

Road service is being done at an apparent minimum degree. School has its first snow day for the year. Wind has not been significant and drifting is minimal. The area has needed snow plowing several times a day for the past month or so. I imagine costs are piling up, hence the tendency of waiting for the other shoe to drop with this storm before hitting the roads hard with the plows.

3-5" of snowfall are forecast for the rest of today. 8-12" are forecast for tomorrow.

Wally World had snow blowers lined up by the checkout and I bit the bullet for a Yard Machines 179cc 24" two-stage blower with electric start. My Wife told me I was panicking when I pointed them out, then said to go ahead about ten minutes later.

Used it for the first time this AM. The sidewalk had been packed down by pedestrians and the blower had a tendency to hop and slip, a bit difficult to keep running in a straight line. A little strenuous, but nothing near what it'd be like trying to shovel it all with my ticker issues.

I will need to adjust the skid plates for more clearance before I try doing the drive. There's new 'two-minus' river stone there, and the blower doesn't run well over it at the current height setting.

I think I made a wise purchase at a strategic moment. Up until now, we've been making do with a 12" electric snow shovel, but that would have been stressed to its limit today.

Greg

a balmy -28 here in SD tonight with out wind chill. Gotta love the old sd winters. with that 8 inches we got yesterday and the wind does not even looked like i shovled.

We've between 2 and 3 feet here, with -30 to -40 for the past month and a half, easy. For the lows, that is. Highs of -15 to -20.

For snow services, we've hired a crew that comes out and shovels every time it snows 19mm (3/4 inch) and I've got to say, they're losing money this year. 70 buck a month don't go very far.

The crew of 4 arrive at any time of the day or night (whenever it finishes snowing) and have the whole place done in just under 5 minutes. By shovel.

-13F in Denver, Colorado, and it's supposed to be -20F tonight.

Not bad compared to some other places, like Alaska.

It won't be getting that cold here in Michigan but the big storm is set to hit as far north as my town. Estimated 18 inches of snow tonight to add to the 2ft we already have on the ground.

Yeah were suppose to get afew inches in chicago but -52 in Alaska thats crazy!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Super Bee 950</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I drove my motorcycle to work yesterday. It was 77 degrees. About 31 now....
frown.gif
</div></div>

It was in the 70's here Saturday, now we are getting 12-20" of snow and tomorrow will set a record for the coldest day since 1996.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tucsondave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">low of 35 tonight and a high of 58. Check in again in July when its 110 for a high and a low of 84.
smile.gif
</div></div>

Twin brother lived/worked in Phoenix for over 10yrs for Frey's(sp?) and Smitty's super markets as a reefer(not 'reefer'
smile.gif
)dude for over 10yrs. He still tells stories of working on the roof tops mid day and even how hot it was at night.lol Had to lay tools under something and your feet got blisters from the heat if you were stupid and wore sneakers on the roof.
smile.gif
He worked residential for 1yr when he got there and tells of attics that were well 130+!!!! He lost 30+ lbs the first summer he was there.lol He now lives in Kalispell, MT and freezes his fingers working on rooftops units. Maybe when he hits 60 he will get an inside job
smile.gif

At 11:20am , as I write this it is -11 and windy , I have no idea what the wind chill is. Tonight it is supposed to be around -17 ( Colo Spgs, CO ).

Uh.... where is this Global Warming at ?

just got home frome work; left at 6am <1/2 snow this am and now 6" and in the last 1/2 hour it has started really snowing can't see 100ft. supposed to get 12-24 inch from kc,mo east, Damn global warming. had it been colder last night could add another 6" instead of the freezing rain beneath the snow!

"It was in the 70's here Saturday, now we are getting 12-20" of snow and tomorrow will set a record for the coldest day since 1996."

Ditto here. Pretty much exactly. I'm about 3 hours above you on the map. Tomorrow is going to be brutal.

I don't know about you guys, but we're going out to play in the wind.

watched all the amateurs on television this am tell us to stay home.....oh...and a news flash...."the roof at cowboy stadium is closed"........

don't know how we will survive the souper bowl.....which is turning out to be a law enforcement showcase.....

Local AM radio personality in the afternoons does parodies all the time. I was driving home and heard this one and almost had to pull over for laughing so hard. It's about right thou.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Sy80Arss0Go&feature=player_embedded"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Sy80Arss0Go&feature=player_embedded" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Took over an hour to drive 20 miles to get home after work. Had to stop twice due to white out.

-24 this morning labs did not fuck around today ate thier food and went right back in the kennel in their house

As of today, we got Scotched on the additional snowfall, maybe 3-4" at most, but everything that was cleared before got drifted over by wind.

My Son-In-Law picked up the blower yesterday afternoon and did their place too. Today he brought it back and did the main bulk of ours.

I finished up with the details, and this is sure working out. Woulda done myself some harm to have tried it with a shovel, and the electric thing was clearly outclassed.

Bottom line; for the first time since my MI on Christmas Eve, 2004; I no longer need to dread looking out the front door of my home when the snow starts coming down. Finally, I can enjoy Winter, and relax in my choice to retire North, instead of South.

Greg

I'm in CO and this morning the temp read -24 F. Neither car will start. I've got a heating blanket and a shop light on the battery trying to warm it. We don't experience cold like this normally...any other ideas for getting the cars to start? I need to get to work!

Tiger torch, and a piece of stovepipe would have you up and running in about 15 to 20 minutes.

As covered previous.

My truck was sitting outside here yesterday. When I got it started temp said -24. I don't have a block heater and that truck didn't want to start, but I didn't have to get fancy...