• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

geting back into it

dbateman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2010
Mt Isa QLD, Australia
I would like to get back into target shooting out 1000yrds
I was in a rifle club when i was a kid so i have some expirence shooting long rang but have not shot on a range for 10 years just hunting and informal
target shooting.
I am thinking about geting a remington 700 but dont no witch cal or model
and was looking for some advice
I was thinking 223 or 6.8spc would be a good choice to start with cheap to reload for moderate recoil and can send it all the way out 1000yds on a nice still day but then i think what about the 308win???I may out grow 223/6.8
and then theres the model police,ltr,Sendero,XCR, not to shore what the best rifle would be im looking for a rifle that i can do some hunting with and be competertive on the range
I would appreciat your opinions
.Dave

Re: geting back into it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbateman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was thinking 223 or 6.8spc would be a good choice to start with cheap to reload for moderate recoil and can send it all the way out 1000yds on a nice still day but then i think what about the 308win</div></div>It's not about the stillness of the day, it's about the bullets: the 6.8 won't make it supersonic to 1000. The .223 will only make it with a fast-twist barrel and 75 or 80gr bullets, which no Remington factory rifle is set up for. Of your choices as written .308 is your only option.

Re: geting back into it

I wasnt to sure about the 6.8spc
I do like the 308 I own a old k98 in 7.62x51and its a joy to shoot
looking for a bit of a newer platform
whats a 5R barrel ??
.Dave