• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Getting a 300 prc. Bergara ridgeback vs custom

Jcaplinger199

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2019
Arlington, TX
I am planning to get a 300prc for target shooting at a mile and hunting. I’m torn between a Bergara ridgeback or building a 300 prc on a bighorn origin long action. I have a beragara HMR Pro and it’s great. I also have a 308 that’s a bighorn origin short action in a KRG chassis which is also great.

The Bergara route would be right at 2k
The origin custom route would be closer to 3k (1k for action, $300 trigger, $850 barrel and $450 if I did a krg bravo as a budget options)

What do you guys think.

I am planning to get a 300prc for target shooting at a mile and hunting. I’m torn between a Bergara ridgeback or building a 300 prc on a bighorn origin long action. I have a beragara HMR Pro and it’s great. I also have a 308 that’s a bighorn origin short action in a KRG chassis which is also great.

The Bergara route would be right at 2k
The origin custom route would be closer to 3k (1k for action, $300 trigger, $850 barrel and $450 if I did a krg bravo as a budget options)

What do you guys think.
Europtic has a ridgeback in 28 nosler in their closeout sale section for about $1,650 I think, or at least they did. It may not be any help to you, but just something to consider. I own or have owned several bergara rifles, and they shoot as well as I am able to shoot a rifle. I can't imagine anything shooting any better at any price.

Resale, ease of caliber change, accuracy potential IMHO go custom.

I would go custom.

Origin, barrel (look at other places, they can be had cheaper) and plenty of good deals in the PX on nice triggers.

Lotta extra $ spent on premium stuff to make a rifle consistent in the 1k-2k yard arena (lapua brass, premium projectiles, tough to source magnum LRP, lots of tough to find powder) to skimp there.

Nothing about ELR is cheap.
You will spend more in the long run by trying.

You could build a mile capable cartridge around your SA origin and save some shekels.

Custom with a Bartlein or similar quality barrel will usually result it better accuracy vs a factory barrel setup

Reactions: Frank Green
F29A7A85-2FBD-4906-8994-B474403942A3.jpeg

Custom is the way

I might have just gotten lucky but my Bergara hmr premier pro shoots as good as any of my customs. I did bed it as it had a ton of deflection to start. Load dev took took 15 rounds with 200 hybrids and it’s holding tight vertical at 1500 yards. However going custom I could shave 3 lbs off probably but it wouldn’t shoot any better.

I think this is one of those “Don’t ask questions you don’t want to know the answer to” questions. Spend the money on a custom and you won’t regret it

I think I’m going to get a bighorn long action And a barrel from PVA just trying to decide on contour. Not sure about a stock yet.

I think I’m going to get a bighorn long action And a barrel from PVA just trying to decide on contour. Not sure about a stock yet.
If you’re not in a hurry wait for Black Friday deals on action’s hopefully there’s some good deals this year

Reactions: Jcaplinger199
I would go custom.

Origin, barrel (look at other places, they can be had cheaper) and plenty of good deals in the PX on nice triggers.

Lotta extra $ spent on premium stuff to make a rifle consistent in the 1k-2k yard arena (lapua brass, premium projectiles, tough to source magnum LRP, lots of tough to find powder) to skimp there.

Nothing about ELR is cheap.
You will spend more in the long run by trying.

You could build a mile capable cartridge around your SA origin and save some shekels.
I know I have 6.5 creed I shot out to 1500yards last week. I just want a 300 prc.

Reactions: powdahound76
Just when I had about decided to go custom my LGS offered me a pretty good deal on a ridgeback in 300 prc he has in stock

@Jcaplinger199 most excellent choice. You will be extremely happy.

I have a bighorn SR3 in 300 WM that Greg/Bugholes/SPR barreled up for @Ankeny, and I purchased it from him.

I finally got tired of looking at a couple boxes of 215 Berger Hybrids on the shelf and worked up a load for same. Two words... extremely happy. I'll add pictures of a couple groups in a minute.

BTW this sits in a KRG Bravo stock.;) 2nd photo 5 shots...

20220929_144458.jpg
20220928_140101.jpg
20220928_122852.jpg

Last edited:
@Jcaplinger199 most excellent choice. You will be extremely happy.

I have a bighorn SR3 in 300 WM that Greg/Bugholes/SPR barreled up for @Ankeny, and I purchased it from him.

I finally got tired of looking at a couple boxes of 215 Berger Hybrids on the shelf and worked up a load for same. Two words... extremely happy. I'll add pictures of a couple groups in a minute.

BTW this sits in a KRG Bravo stock.;) 2nd photo 5 shots...

View attachment 7979987View attachment 7979988View attachment 7979989
KRG bravo…? Really…? I have two bravos both short actions a 308 and a 6.5 creed. I was concerned how accurate the bravo would be with a long action magnum and how it would handle recoil. I’m going to run a area 419 hellfire match brake. Do you have weights in it?

KRG bravo…? Really…? I have two bravos both short actions a 308 and a 6.5 creed. I was concerned how accurate the bravo would be with a long action magnum and how it would handle recoil. I’m going to run a area 419 hellfire match brake. Do you have weights in it?

No weights, standard length AI magazine, with muzzle brake (mad scientist ?). It's a hunting rifle and I'm old and fat, although it does well on targets at distance when the pilot does a decent job of steering it.
20221019_182245.jpg

why would a Bravo not handle a LA magnum?

Not saying it wouldn’t I just haven’t seen many long action magnums in bravos and as light as the bravo is I would think weight would need to added for balance with the shorter Foreend and a longer heavy contour barrel. I have 2 bravos and a really like them. It certainly is the most economical option. Need to do some research to see how much additional weight is be added for long distance target rifle set ups