• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Getting a custom rifle built. Short action or long action 300 wsm

Griffmax36

Private
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2023
Wisconsin
Long time reader and first time poster.

I have decided to get a custom rifle built and after talking to the guy that’s going to do it he said it’s entirely up to me if I want to go short or long action on the 300wsm. I do reload and plan to do full load development for my rifle.

The rifle will be mostly used for hunting but also used on the bench for fun here and there.
As of right now I’m leaning towards a 20 inch 1-10 twist carbon proof research barrel, custom lightweight Remington clone action, carbon stock, trigger tech diamond, and it’ll have a vx5hd on it. I will be putting my can on it as well.

So, what would you do? Would you go long action and not worry about bullet length ever or go short action and stuff big bullets into the powder?

Thanks!

Reactions: Balor
I would choose a long action and then I would choose something other than a WSM cartridge.

Reactions: Balor
Long action and step up the caliber to prc. Cannot recommend the zermatt origin and a pre-fit proof enough.

Bottom is a 20” straight taper cut by Alex wheeler. Top is a 22” prefit

IMG_4875.jpeg

As above, I think PRC makes more sense if you want to do longer range shooting. WSM in a short action doesn’t really play nice with heavier bullets and WSM in a 700 clone long action doesn’t make sense since you can go PRC. Brass cost is the same and PRC is way easier to find

The PRCs are certainly the easy button but if you're set on the WSM I'd go long action with a custom reamer. It's hard to deny the performance of the WSM, pretty sure the world record 1k group was just shot with one.

For those that are recommending prc over wsm. Why is that?

My main reason for the wsm is:

better suited for a shorter barrel because I’ll be using my suppressor and I DO NOT want a barrel length over 20 inches. Slightly less recoil, less powder, already overkill for whitetail but works for any other North American big game.

For those that are recommending prc over wsm. Why is that?

My main reason for the wsm is:

better suited for a shorter barrel because I’ll be using my suppressor and I DO NOT want a barrel length over 20 inches. Slightly less recoil, less powder, already overkill for whitetail but works for any other North American big game.

Nothing about it vs prc makes it better suited for shorter barrel. In fact the opposite since you’ll be moving about 2750 with a 20” and 215 bullet out of the prc the extra speed helps vs the way. Easier to find brass/ ammo and more reliable feeding.

Long time reader and first time poster.

I have decided to get a custom rifle built and after talking to the guy that’s going to do it he said it’s entirely up to me if I want to go short or long action on the 300wsm. I do reload and plan to do full load development for my rifle.

The rifle will be mostly used for hunting but also used on the bench for fun here and there.
As of right now I’m leaning towards a 20 inch 1-10 twist carbon proof research barrel, custom lightweight Remington clone action, carbon stock, trigger tech diamond, and it’ll have a vx5hd on it. I will be putting my can on it as well.

So, what would you do? Would you go long action and not worry about bullet length ever or go short action and stuff big bullets into the powder?

Thanks!
For .300 WSM… Long would be best. But since you are obviously handloading, being that factory WSM ammo is pretty much dead, if you went with something like a .300 SS, you would get the same performance from a true short action cartridge. And you can buy brass, dies , and get load data right from the Sherman Wildcats website. Just tossing that out there.

+1 on the long action from zermatt. I have a proof carbon 300 prc barrel, and long throated 7 saum bartlein on a sr3 action. Viper vice, an action and torque wrench, is all that’s needed for quick swaps. As for the 7saum on the long action, I’m easily at 3k with the 180 hybrids. Really wakes the caliber up.

Attachments

• IMG_0828.jpeg
    IMG_0828.jpeg
    414.5 KB · Views: 44
  • DF97019B-4EC5-4F46-92E5-DEE6035A14E4.jpeg
    DF97019B-4EC5-4F46-92E5-DEE6035A14E4.jpeg
    728 KB · Views: 44
I like my 300wsm on a short action. I went with a 24" barrel though, wishing I would have went 20".

The main benefit of a 300WSM is that it fits a short action. If long action is even on the table I’d consider something else. If you’re considering it for primarily deer hunting and range use I’d go with something with less recoil like a 7PRC or below. Shooting lightweight 30cal mags at the range sucks.

An MDT magazine will allow you to load to 2.955 in a short action, which is sufficient for your intentions.
A short action build, with the freebore specifically set up to load out to 2.9 inches will do exactly what you want.
Personally, I'd do a 7 SAUM and shoot the 180's.
This is from a guy building a medium action. After fucking around with it, I'm not sure the juice is worth the squeeze and I should have just gone short action.