• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Getting a new reamer

40x

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2009
Pennsylvanian
I like to order a new reamer for my 7 mm Remington magnum. My question is how much free bore should I have for the 162gr hornady A-MAX bullet.

Re: Getting a new reamer

Ask for Dave Kiff at Pacific Tool and Gauge (I am away from my cell so the # is not handy) and ask him what he recommends and order whatever he recommends. Dave is extremely knowledgeable and will talk to anyone with question, an all round great guy.

Ignore Dave at your own peril, I did not listen to him once and I ended up turning necks for a rifle that I wanted to be no-turn. Now I tell him what I want and listen to him.

wade

Re: Getting a new reamer

Do what Wade says. Another option is to make up two dummy rounds with your bullet of choice seated where you want and send them to Kiff. He will make a reamer to your specs and the freebore will be right on.