• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Getting back into reloading: Die recommendation

BUZZARD464

Private
Minuteman
Sep 5, 2007
NC, USA
Getting back into reloading after 10 years for my new Savage 10FCP 308. Been looking at Forster with the Ultra seater die. Trying to find a good neck die. What do you guys recommend?

Not trying to start a brawl over dies.

Re: Getting back into reloading: Die recommendation

Redding neck dies are my favorite. I like how they adjust the best. For FL dies, I like Redding and Hornady, and RCBS are ok. I just don't like using pliers on the seater stem, and lining up the expander ball in the center of the sizing die with the threading can be a PITA with the RCBS.

A few months ago I was doing a series of experiments with Redding FL "S", Forster honed neck, Forster not honed, RCBS small base, RCBS, Lee RGB, and Lee collet dies and with loads [SAAMI registration for 223Rem is 55kpsi, these tests were at 66kpsi] while checking for:
1) Brass life
2) Concentricity
3) Brass length growth

Lee Collet wins.

What an eye opener that was!
I have had Lee Collet dies sitting on my shelf for years, and I was not using them.
This reminds me of a joke:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Q: Have you heard about the woman who went to Alaska to seek her fortune?
A: When she got there, she found that, all along, she had been sitting on a Gold mine. </div></div>

" Trying to find a good neck die. What do you guys recommend?"

Lee collet. Hands down, it's the better neck die for sporting rifles.

I have a set of 50 cases that are on reload 24 without annealing using redding bushing dies in a factory chamber gun (i.e. wide throat.)