• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Getting guns into Canada

Shireman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 16, 2007
OKC
Is it fairly easy when driving across the border? From the looks of things, you just have your firearms declaration sheet filled out and they check you out to make sure you're good. As long as nothing is on their list of prohibited arms. Can even bring a pistol in?

Just looking for real world experiences. Does it take 1/2 day for them to run a background check, etc, etc? Or are you good if you have all your ducks in a row?

Re: Getting guns into Canada

Seriously interested in knowing also. I have no idea. I'm planning on moving to Alaska when I finish school and have quite a few firearms to transport. Mostly just your average hunting rifles, but will the autoloaders such as pistols AR, m21 be a problem?

Long arms for hunting should be reasonably easy. Pistols are going to require that you have a legitimate competition to attend so you will need to make sure the paperwork is in order and expect some hassles.

Moving to Alaska - don't bother driving them up. You can probably use the Ferry out of Seattle but it is a gray area because you technically travel through Canadian waters. I "think" they look the other way but haven't tried it.

If you are going to hunt in Canada frequently then you can get a PAL (Possession and Acquistion License) but you have to take the course and the test (or challenge the test without the course - worked for me). Foreigners are allowed to get PAL licenses and it will make transporting long guns easier. Pistols and Canadian "Restricted" arms are a lot more hassle and probably not worth the effort unless you are a real competitor (then you can get an RPAL and deal with the ATT - Authorization To Transport headaches.)

The above is just a summary and may be inaccurate in some ways but hopefully not too much.

I went duck/goose hunting in Alberta a couple of years ago and we had no issues. I was worried about possible hassles and we had none. I followed the instructions I found on Canadian gov websites and filled out the proper paperwork ahead of time. We flew, so it may be different driving across the border. The customs official checked our paperwork, stamped it and said, "Pay the lady behind that counter $50." We had an SKB wheeled case with 4 shotguns in it and he never opened it. I even asked if he wanted me to open it up and he looked at me like I was crazy, so I just said, "Yes sir" and we were on our way. YMMV....probably will, but that was how my experience went.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M21guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seriously interested in knowing also. I have no idea. I'm planning on moving to Alaska when I finish school and have quite a few firearms to transport. Mostly just your average hunting rifles, but will the autoloaders such as pistols AR, m21 be a problem? </div></div>

If I was in this situation, I would ship them to myself (your new address) in AK. No reason to try and deal with hauling them up there. I am not totally up on the issues at this time, but when I went up there duck/goose hunting I checked out the gun laws. I dont remember them being nearly as "open" as ours, especially in regards to pistols and military styled firearms.

Moving to Ak- ship any non hunting or semi autos to yourself. Hunting rifles- declare them with paperwork in hand and you will have no problems. Handguns- don't even try to bring them. Don't have ANY handgun ammo with you either. Ship the handguns and buy new ammo when you get here.

I have been hunting in Quebec for 12-15 years. If you are a regular visitor to Ca. get a PAL Possession and Acquisition license as stated above. Before one of my groups trips, we contacted a instructor and made arrangements to buy the book needed for the course. We also arranged to take the test later in the week. Three of us took it. There is a written test and a practical test. It is well worth the effort for not having to spend $50 every year at the border. This is for non-regulated firearms (Non magazine fed rifles and shotguns). Magazine fed semi-autos - AR's etc. are a little more involved.

Good luck

Jerry

thanks for the help guys. THis would be for a hunting trip. 1 time, not planning for the future years, yet.
So it is $50/rifle? I am planning on taking a backup just in case.

And also, at the border, will they want to go through or scan all of luggage, ice chests, hunting gear, etc.?

I am trying to weigh the options vs. flying. I would rather drive and have more than enough gear as opposed to flying and paying $$$ for luggage fees.

I carried 2 shotguns and it was $50 total. Cant help you out on the search situation, I flew. We duck and goose hunted for a week and I had no problem taking enough stuff on a plane to have all my bases covered. BTW, I am a notorious over-packer. Did have to pay a little in extra baggage fees, but driving from TN to the northern edge of Alberta wasnt really an option.

That Ferry ride would be expensive. A 3/4 ton truck and a trailer plus dogs. I can't imagine it being affordable. Sounds like a real bitch. Thanks for the input.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M21guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That Ferry ride would be expensive. A 3/4 ton truck and a trailer plus dogs. I can't imagine it being affordable. Sounds like a real bitch. Thanks for the input. </div></div>
Cross the border in Portal, ND. It is a small easy going border cross. Head for the Alcan. Cross into Alaska in Tok. Watch out for the orange flags. You'll learn to hate them. The Alcan is the roughest road I've ever traveled, especially around Destruction Bay. You'd better be sure your truck is up to the challenge. Declare your firearms with a local US Customs office before you travel, and declare them at the border with paperwork in hand and smooth sailing. Where you moving to?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M21guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That Ferry ride would be expensive. A 3/4 ton truck and a trailer plus dogs. I can't imagine it being affordable. Sounds like a real bitch. Thanks for the input. </div></div>
Cross the border in Portal, ND. It is a small easy going border cross. Head for the Alcan. Cross into Alaska in Tok. Watch out for the orange flags. You'll learn to hate them. The Alcan is the roughest road I've ever traveled, especially around Destruction Bay. You'd better be sure your truck is up to the challenge. Declare your firearms with a local US Customs office before you travel, and declare them at the border with paperwork in hand and smooth sailing. Where you moving to? </div></div> Well that could work. I have family right around Grand Forks. Should see them before the move. It's a Ford Superduty, it will make about anything. Plan is finish school and make the move, probably to Fairbanks in early 2013.
I think most of my stuff is on the restricted list. I might be good with the proper papers. All my hi-cap mags will have to be shipped, but I think I could take the guns with me. Should I see Canadian embassy or US embassy for the information and paperwork I need?

I did my first Canadian duck hunt last year and had no problems as described above. They were much more interested to know if anyone had ever had a DUI. No check to see if the serial #s match the forms or if there were any prohibited items. We crossed at Pembina ND on 29.

I should also mention that all US customs seemed interested in on the way back was the game. Be sure you have everything correct in that regard or you will catch max fines and have your harvest taken.

That is another issue. I did have a DUI when I was in the military some 16 years ago.

The DUI may cause an issue depending on the mood of the border official. Technically anyone with a conviction for an indictable (felony) offence can be the subject of a refusal for entry. That being said they are supposed to use their judgement and it is generally meant for serious/violent offences. You may want to look into getting a pardon as it is pretty much standard when crossing borders between developed nations. I had a buddy have the same issue when we were crossing into the US, I had to "vouche" for his character.

As far as you guns go. Non-restricted as classified under Canadian Law, with the proper paper and stored according to the regulations shouldn't be an issue. Restricted and Prohibited firearms can be a major PITA and they require an authorization to transport. Those types of firearms under Canadian law can only be transported directly from your residence to an approved range/gunsmith and back. Technically you may be doing that, but you run the risk of getting into a bit of a bind if you are stopped anywhere along the way.

Your best bet is to contact the border crossing you plan to cross directly and speak with a Border Services Agent directly.

The problem with the DUI is that although it's not typically a felony in the US, I understand it is in Canada. Even for the 1st one. Therefore since the same offense would have been inditable there, no entry. The crew I went with last year had that problem several years earlier with one of their group. Had to drive the guy do an airport and leave him. Talk about a blown vacation.

There is something of a pardon, but I don't know much about it yet. There is also a couple different firearms permits. One to go to ranges and such. The other to travel from point a to b. Way I understand it so far you better not deviate from the route then it is more paperwork. I don't plan on deviating.

I'd like to take a southern route to see the Grand Canyon, a night in Vegas, visit a couple people in SoCal, hang out at MCRD and Pendleton for a day or two, and finally make my way north. That was the plan. Take the Alaska Hwy. I'm not coming back, unless it is to bury mom. Then I'll fly.

Yes you can get Authorization to Transport or ATT's. My advice would be ship anything that is restricted/prohibited in Canada to you final destination in Alaska. If you get stopped for what ever reason you could be in for more hassle than its worth.

You will have to ship the pistols and semi-auto rifles, without a doubt. I know one person who had a DUI, he could not go into Canada for 7 or so years. One vacation he was on a cruise ship that went through B.C. waters. The ship stopped for an afternoon at a Canada port. The Canada customs ran the passenger list, his name was flagged. He was called off the ship, then sent back to the USA by airplane.

He almost made it the full 7 years, and then received another DUI with six months to go. Now he is stuck for a while. He has had 4 DUI's, really should not be driving anywhere.

-Steve

thanks again for all the info.
I appreciate the feedback.

Thanks for the info also. I guess I have another 3 years worth of school benifits I can use, but I have to stay in Wisconsin to use them. Leave or more college, humm let me see, I guess I'll be here for a while longer.