• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

getting in the game

SpeedyR

Private
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2009
ATL
Looking to get into shooting some longer distances. Been lurking/reading for years, but finally getting around moving my goals forward. I’ve got a few basic hunting rifles (280s and 308s mostly), as well as a good 308 AR, but looking for a nicer bolt gun/chassis setup. I have a couple of friends that are shooting PRS every so often and thought it might be fun to get into some longer distance shooting (locally I have a 400-600 yard range and there are some others within decent driving distance (GA). Want a 6.5CM. I’ve got 308 stuff but I load 15 or 20 other calibers so adding another one won’t be an issue and I should have good access to brass and bullets for the 6.5.

What drew me in originally was the Ruger Precision Rifle. I’ve always been a Ruger fan (from 22’s up to a few M77/#1/#3), and the price/performance was a lure. But of course you start there and move on with “mission creep” and all of a sudden you are way over your budget. I have a Burris XTR II 5-25 that I have on the 308 AR for load development (bought with the intention of putting it on a bolt rifle at some point) so that will work for now.

My budget is being built as I type this (around $1200 but working my way up) but here are my thoughts:

I'm looking at the Tikka T3X Tac A1 mainly, and pretty settled on that model in 6.5. I'm hoping to find a good used one (just missed one). Not too many for sale these days on the second hand market. I like the 2 stage trigger (have an SD-E in my PWS 308) so the Tac appeals to me, along with the folding stock. I’ve recommended Tikka rifles to friends in the past and they are usually smooth and accurate.

My thinking is I can get the Ruger for $1000 locally (new) but with the Tikka (ideally lightly used) a few hundred more- I would rather pay a bit more and move to the Tikka.

If I were looking at a new Tikka @ $1800 I would probably just wait till closer to the end of the year/early next year and order a PVA John Hancock @ $2k and be done. Or I guess just starting.

Of course I also look over the for sale section here and locally every day. I’ve also seen some good deals on Remington 700 actions or barreled actions and chassis systems, is it worth it to go this route and have the action trued/blueprinted and maybe a new barrel down the road? Roughly what are those costs and will I still end up close to a Tikka. Bergara is local and I see a few of them for sale, some at decent prices (there an 18” LRP in XLR chassis locally but it’s a 308), but if I’m going to go custom action, the PVA seems to be the best deal but only available new and an unknown wait time.

I keep going back and forth. I might have more cash closer to the end of the year, so I keep the PVA in the back of my mind, and may end up with that unless I come across a great price on something else, ideally a Tikka Tac A1 or maybe a custom if I come across a great deal.

or Tikka CTR and throw it in a krg bravo or xlr/mdt or any other chassis really

also, bighorn origin 850, bravo 350, prefit barrel 500, trigger of choice 200, similar to tac a1 or hancock, but you can spec everything you want

I would either go tikka of your choice in the krg or go with the origin, John Hancock, or even tl3 build. There are usually quite a few choices in the px section that could be done either under the tac a3 or a nicer setup. Out of curiosity what is your 280? That has potential to be a very good round for long range.

For reference I load 284 and 260, the price differential is almost non existent and the 284 has a lot better wind cheating.

For the money, I would avoid pimping out a 700 action. There are many entry level, cheaper, customs that are a better value. I second the Origin, maybe the tenacity, and the Bravo is a great choice for a budget stock. If you do not want to go custom, you can't go wrong with Tikka or Bergara. Both make outstanding rifles for the cash.

I picked up a 6.5 CM AR10 last summer from a local gun builder, not a brand name gun but quality components, $2k price range. It was my first attempt at a long range gas gun and it's turned out to be a very accurate shooter.

There can be a lot of tweaking and tuning to get a gas gun shooting well, but from what I hear the Ruger has the capability of <.5 MOA.

I would either go tikka of your choice in the krg or go with the origin, John Hancock, or even tl3 build. There are usually quite a few choices in the px section that could be done either under the tac a3 or a nicer setup. Out of curiosity what is your 280? That has potential to be a very good round for long range.

The round is great for longer distance, and could go AI but I hate to have a caliber with one version and another version (I have a few 22 hornets and have considered converting to K-Hornet, but don't want to do them all).

The two that I have are a Remington 7600 and a Ruger #1 International. They never made a #1 280 international, so my dad had a 7x57 rechambered. Really like that one. But to go back to your question, neither would make a good long distance stick. :)

Cattleman99 the only reason I had considered the R700 was there's one local that's already in an MPA chassis w/ Timney that might be worth throwing him a number.

B6Graham I have looked around at getting a plain Tikka and converting but the Tac just seems to be pretty good deal if I can get one in the $1300-1400 range.

always good to have options! Just making sure my thinking is right, so I"ll keep my eyes open and see what pops up over the next month or so.

Howa Hcr fits what you want. Under 1500 and has a two stage trigger.

The 6.5 is a super choice. Look at the 6 too, very close to the 6.5 if not equal depending on sppeds/bullets but less recoil, especially if kept arround the 6 creed to 6 BR. That includes all the ones in between, 6 BRA, XC, dasher etc. I would stay away from factory packages like the Ruger precision if you are going the PRS active route. This is because the ruger like some of the other ones has some limitations on things you will like or dislike. The balance, the weight, the way it feeds and small things that you start noticing and you wish you could change.
If you will go to 1 prs match a year and most of the time you will be at the range/hunting the PRS is hard to beat, especially the mag feature.
A custom gives you more options, things you want or need. An inexpensive option is the ptg action. Trued up and using one of their bolts. They start at 530.

Reactions: SpeedyR