• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Getting in to reloading

Scorcoran

Private
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2014
I have been reading different threads and opinions of reloading and supplies to get in all honesty im a lil confused i know people say its not cheaper to reload because you shoot more im ok with that i would like to know if money was not an issue starting from scratch meaning having to buy all equipment not including cases bullets primers and powder what equipment would you recommend i buy.
key notes
I have never reloaded before It will be for one caliber only 300WM Another question I seen a lot of was is it gonna be for precision shooting or just shooting so l look at it like this i only want to buy 1 of something if i think i will want precision later i will buy for that so i can grow into it i do not want to have to purchase multiples of something if i can spend the money now i was looking at the rcbs kit from cabellas the supreme master its the one with the charge master its $837 but i also heard great reviews on the forster co ax so before i pull the trigger on anything i would love some opinions from seasoned reloaders and i mean i need everything the only thing i dont need is a bench to put it on thank you for your time

Learn how to reload then look into the time savers (i/e chargemaster).

I really like RCBS products, but never invested in their electronic scales, for one, look on the bottom of the box. Second, every bad review says the same thing, they crap out right after the warranty period.

A rock chucker supreme kit, a trickler, caliper and some brass prepping gear and you will be in there. The kit comes with a 5-0-2 or 5-0-5 scale, these will last you a life time. Even if you go electronic later, you can use these to verify your other scales.

There is no reason why you can not make equivalent to factory "match" ammo from the get. Its all about quality components, brass prep, and removing as many variables as possible.

Reloading is pretty expensive to get into correctly. It might take year before you actually start saving money. But that is not why most of us do it. The never-ending quest for accuracy, better bullets, etc. always make new loads fun to work up.

I stayed away form the kits when I started because they always had something I didn't want like a scale that sucked or some other unnecessary stuff I wouldn't use. I thought it was better to piece together exactly what I wanted than to be stuck with something I didn't want or wouldn't use. Sounds like what you want to do. Do the research then get exactly what you want for what you're gonna do. Don't let the company pick it out for you

Learn how to reload then look into the time savers (i/e chargemaster).

I really like RCBS products, but never invested in their electronic scales, for one, look on the bottom of the box. Second, every bad review says the same thing, they crap out right after the warranty period.

A rock chucker supreme kit, a trickler, caliper and some brass prepping gear and you will be in there. The kit comes with a 5-0-2 or 5-0-5 scale, these will last you a life time. Even if you go electronic later, you can use these to verify your other scales.

There is no reason why you can not make equivalent to factory "match" ammo from the get. Its all about quality components, brass prep, and removing as many variables as possible.

whats on the bottom of the box and the reviews ive read have been mixed what scale do you use

They are made in China.

Now you could buy one and it works forever, thing is many companies only cover their electronics for 2 years.

Point is for a new reloader, your concentration should be on brass prep, loads and seating, shoulder bump etc. Electric dispensers are convenient, but they add additional variables into the mix. Lights, drafts, temperature, drift all thing that can effect your readings.

Beam scales are prone to variables as well, but not as much. You set them up, cal the base and then load. Using the powder dispenser to drop just shy of your goal and trickle the rest. You develop a rhythm and crank out the rounds, as you are not reading numbers, but watching for the needle to zero out.

I use a 5-0-2 and really like it. I purchased a 10-10 and returned it because the 5-0-2 does everything I want.

Do yourself a favor and get a Forster Co-Ax as your first press. You will still use it if you move on to a turret or progressive down the road. Most consider the Co-Ax to be the finest general use single stage made.

The Co-ax also has a priming feature so you can hold off getting a dedicated priming tool for a while.

I would start with a beam balance and powder throw. I do not like a beam balances for weighting individual charges because you have to be very consistent to get good results. Even removing and replacing the pan can cause things to move. I would just use the balance to confirm/calibrate your powder throw and move on. Do not waste money on an inexpensive electronic balance or trickler.

A decent set of calipers, basic trimmer, and dies should get you on your way.

dtarget thank you i am leaning that way right now what is a good set of dies for that press in 300wm

damon cali thank you for the link i appreciate it