• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Getting Into 6.5 Creedmoor Reloading, A Few Questions

JMcBurn

Private
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2013
Toledo, OH
So as the title states. I am getting into 6.5 Creedmoor. I bought a really cheap T/C Compass in 6.5 as a way to get my feet wet with 6.5 Creedmoor to determine how much I am willing to put into shooting it as the typical bullet cost is more than I spend on 223 I shoot currently.

I am looking to get into this caliber as cheap as possible without skimping too much.

Anyone have experience with the Hornady Custom Grade Dies? Neck tension issue or anything like that? Was thinking I might wanna get a Sinclair expander mandrel setup as I wouldn't mind using it on my 223 loading, but that would probably push me into buying a shell plate for either my 550 or my buddy's LNL for brass processing. Originally planning on just loading with my single stage Lee.

Also has anyone run the Starline SRP brass? Having trouble justifying, to myself, brass that costs half of what the gun costs, but don't really wanna run Hornady brass as I would have to buy LRPs and setup to prime LRP brass in between loading 223 for my Tikka.

Already have 8 lbs of H4350 I had a friend pick me up a few months ago at camp perry, so that is probably the powder i will be using to, at least start.

Spend the money for a box of Lapua brass and be done with it. I used to load with Hornady and instantly got better groups with the Lapua. It’s expensive but they last until you loose them pretty much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spend the money for a box of Lapua brass and be done with it. I used to load with Hornady and instantly got better groups with the Lapua. It’s expensive but they last until you lose them pretty much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I went with hornady brass I do think lapua brass is better. I just didn't see myself needing the added improvement but I'm also already setup for lrp. So I'd recommend you grab the lapua with srp. As far as dies go I don't think the hornady dies are bad I have the match grade set but that has adjustable neck bushing and they work great. I have some hornady dies for .308 and I don't have any issues with those but I actually like my lee dies better for .308. I am a fan of the lee collet neck sizer and I think if you are budget oriented you might grab that set and the grab a forester seater because the lee seater will not work well for long vld bullets.

I personally prefer their match grade Dies. Reasonably priced set when compared with other sets in the market. The decapping rod retention in the custom grade dies is poorly executed imo. You'll Have to buy a .289 bushing for the match grade sizer. The Sinclair mandrel die is also very useful, and reasonably priced(as are the mandrels).

Im sure the starline brass is fine, haven’t used it yet. I use Peterson and lapua.

Lapua Brass , Whidden FL bushing die set , CRT bushings
RS60 powder and Lapua or Hornady bullets.

One does not simply get involved with this game for cheap. If you are getting in to reloading- there are places to skimp and places to just pony up.

One does not simply get involved with this game for cheap. If you are getting in to reloading- there are places to skimp and places to just pony up.

I mean I am already set for everything else reloading wise and combine it with the fact that I crank out ammo that shoots .2-.4 in multiple guns out of cheap lee 223 dies I was hoping something similar here.

I mean I am already set for everything else reloading wise and combine it with the fact that I crank out ammo that shoots .2-.4 in multiple guns out of cheap lee 223 dies I was hoping something similar here.

Like I said I think the lee dies would work fine except for their seaters. Or you could grab the hornady dies it's up to you. I think you'll end up fine either way.