• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Getting into an AI for the first time...

Kman866

Private
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2012
Atlanta, GA
Hey Guys! I've been lurking here a hot minute but never really posted. I've been putting some aside for a while now to get into a premium bolt gun, whether it be an MRAD or AI, just a dream rifle that I can shoot the tar out of for a while. I'm taking a step up from my FN SPR and I've always had the hots for something from Accuracy International. The AX has caught my eye and it seems to fit the bill for everything I want in a bolt gun. A few question for you AI Guys...

• If I were to get one in a caliber I didn't like, is it as easy to rebarrel as an AT or MC? Seems to be fairly easy, loosening the nut and just replace with a new barrel...
  • I shoot mainly short action calibers, would it be worth it to step up and get an MC for a few grand more? Seems like an awesome thing to be able to shoot everything from a br caliber all the way to 338LM
  • AI vs MRAD, why would you get the AI over the barrett or a custom action gun?
  • Are they as awesome as they are made out to be? I'm ready to pull the trigger on one!

I'm about to spend the most money i've ever spent on a rifle, thankfully already got the scope to top it of with on the way (ATACR 5-25.) Any info helps!

Personal opinions ahead...proceed at your own discretion.

1) The AX has the same system thats on the AT and the MC( its bigger on the MC)...so, loosen lock screw, unscrew old stick, screw new stick in, torque lock screw to 49-55in-lb, go shoot. Just make sure that replacement stick is M27x2.0 not the bigger M30x2.0 thats on the MC...which takes us to your second Q.

2)Yes i think is worth it. I have the short AX myself but if i were to do it all over again i would have gotten an MC. MC prefits are not as common as the short M27 tennons but not a big deal. Definitely easier to find than say a MRAD...? No extension on AIs either.

If you are planning on getting the MC tho, start looking for mag adapters. I think EO is out but maybe MH has some. You ll need one to run the short mag on the MC

3)Extensions, availability of barrels (see extensions), price of rebarreling on barrel burner cals such as the 6mm (see extensions and availability of barrels)are the reasons why the AX is my pick. I considered Cadex before getting the AX. After a chat with a very very good service rep at cadex i got the AX...see easy of re barreling.

Its literally a 2 minute thing (4 min if you're like me and drop tools all the time)switching sticks man.

Plus in my opinion top loading mags are just worth it. Its the small things man.

Im kinda done with customs. But thats a rabbit hole i wont go down to.

4) Yes.

Btw

Last edited:
You can get an AXMC for $6,750 right now. Pretty good price while they last. Regardless of model, you will not regret buying an AI. I have no experience with the MRAD. Many custom options out there that will leave you speechless. Will you compete? If so, a custom may give you more refined features that could provide advantages over time as your skill level increases. If you are looking to spend money once on a rifle that you can shoot the tar out of, in any condition imaginable, AI all the way... AI cured my rifle ADD. I have owned several customs. All were great, but not perfect for me. The AI is not perfect either, but it is perfect enough.

Reactions: kocustoms
The ones I have been lucky enough to see are really nice guns dead sexy if your into them . Not having that kinda money I have not yet shot one , and those I know with them are really into shooting they take classes all over I suppose for the love of either getting better or the simple love of shooting not that any gun is going to make you anything better than you are . good luck to you if you do decide to get one and many years of fine shooting with it .

I just went through your agony and ordered an AI AX in 6mm Creedmoor.
Wanted low recoil but better ballistics then 308.
I can always put on a 6.5mm barrel or 308(have lots of 308 ammo).
Never considered the MRAD.
Good luck!
-Dick

Buy an AT, new or used doesn't really matter as long as it has the SFP (small firing pin). Easy to swap your short action caliber of choice, which you said is what you mainly shoot. Barrels are plentiful and can be found cheap on SH, especially pull-off barrels in 6.5 Creed.

Once you shoot that for a while, if you really want a magnum then look for an AXMC or the new AXSR.

While the AXMC's are a lot cheaper now due to them being replaced with the AXSR, I still think an AT for $3500-$4000 is a better deal for what you're looking for. Plus if you're not in love with it you can likely sell it and just about break even. If your primary use is short action, I think the AT is a better choice than the bigger, heavier, more complicated (mag adapters, different bolt bodies) AXMC. Plus AXMC barrels have a larger diameter and thread, so they're harder to find cheap for short action calibers.

Also, re-reading your post, if you truly want to shoot 6BR-based calibers, you won't be able to do it out of the MC, you'll need an AT or AX anyway. And prepared to possibly need to tweak mags to get them to work.

Reactions: Darqusoull13
As long as the AX is 2014+ it's the same barrel swap as an AT. There was a first generation of AX's and you need a acton wrench, barrel vice, breaker bar, and torque wrench to change that. Just something to watch out for if buying used but it's pretty easy to spot because the rifles look entirely different. I've had a few AX's, 2 AT's, a AXMC, and now a PSR and I will say 100% without a doubt the AX is worth the extra $$ over an AT just for the butt alone. You can also find some deals on brand new "demo" units at Euro Optic and get one for as low as $4500. Even if it's not in your preferred caliber you can dump pretty much any of the barrels for $500 and just order whatever it is you want.

If you think you'll shoot magnums even occasionally then the AXMC is worth it. Yes the gun is a little more expensive (AXMC close outs vs what demo AXSA's have been going for) and then you buy the extras, but its still a whole hell of a lot less expensive than a second rifle and piece of glass. The downsides to the AXMC is right now the SFP 308 conversion bolt assemblies are out of stock everywhere, and that's what you want for shooting high pressure rounds like creedmoor and stuff, the 308 conversion bolt body is large firing pin and will pierce primers in most cases. Supposedly they're not too far out though so maybe if you get on the wait lists they will be available before you're ready to pull the trigger on the rifle. The other minor issue is the barrels, they're not quite as plentiful as the short action barrels, but they're out there. If you're shooting the standard flavors AINA makes them in several barrel lengths and all the colors and the AINA Bartleins are as good as anyone else top shelf barrels. If you want something "special" it's a little harder to accomplish and may take some planning since you don't use the standard off the shelf 1.25" cylinder blanks, you need a 1.35"-1.45" cylinder blank so worse case you have to order that and wait a few months first but some places like Bugholes and a couple others stock some blank options. Proof also makes both SS and CF profits for them that can be ordered with about a 5-6 month wait and Mile High have some on the shelf and keep them on order (currently waiting for a SS 6mm Creedmoor). IMO this is not a big problem, but it is something to be aware of. The AXMC has a lot of benefits too in the number of chamberings it can run.

Yes the AI is a better platform than the MRAD.

Reactions: Lite
I agree the AI is an awesome platform. The went with the AX because I liked the adjustability of the stock, extra rail space, and they way the stock folds left to encase and protect the bolt. Also little things like the bipod mount, ease of tripod mounting, etc seem a bit better thought out on the ax. Also the AT isn’t available in the more-accurate elite sand color ;). I’ve also shot an AT and it shoots the same and is an awesome gun as well. I thought about the MC but I’ll mostly shoot creedmoor and maybe a little 308, so it didn’t seem with the extra cost or hassle for my uses. Awesome gun though!

If you are thinking about an AX, now is a good time to grab a demo gun from Euro Optic. Mine at least was indistinguishable from new. The demo guns will come in less desirable calibers, however.

AXSA vs. AXMC: I am in the minority on this it seems, but I really like having a short action gun around instead of just one long action to shoot everything in. If you are considering an MC, you may wish to consider the cost of conversion parts to shoot short action cartridges. AI prefit barrels are very moderately priced, but the ‘startup’ cost in converting is pretty high.

AI vs. MRAD: I had an MRAD for a couple years. It is shoots the same and has a lot going for it but on the whole feels less refined, primarily in lack of modularity and adjustability, but also the greater use of polymer in parts you interact with. There are some things I preferred about the MRAD- safety location, ease of full disassembly, and the bolt throw, while it feels cheap, is impossible to bind, and closes with less force. The trigger can safely be adjusted lower than the AI trigger unless you buy the separate AI competition trigger.

It is also worth noting that Barrett has some significant contracts to fill as it is pending adoption across the DoD. This may affect the availability of rifles and accessories for the civilian market. Since there is really no aftermarket, you’re kind of stuck until one develops for it. Barrett has done much more in recently, but did not do much at all to the support the MRAD platform for a number of years . AINA seems to be very responsive and there is a large AI accessory aftermarket.

On the AI there are so many things you can change out or adjust to suit your preferences and I think it has a higher satisfaction of ownership. It just has so much going for it over the MRAD for hobby/competitive use and I think is a much better pick for that.

Last edited:
Reactions: BikePilot
Both EuroOptic and Milehigh are going the short ction AX with a premium scope for 7999. Buddy bought one from MH on Friday. Just pick the caliber and scope option. I have AT's and an AX, and an AWSM can't go wrong with AI. I shoot 260 and 6br with them, 620 rounds last week.

You can get an AXMC for $6,750 right now. Pretty good price while they last. Regardless of model, you will not regret buying an AI. I have no experience with the MRAD. Many custom options out there that will leave you speechless. Will you compete? If so, a custom may give you more refined features that could provide advantages over time as your skill level increases. If you are looking to spend money once on a rifle that you can shoot the tar out of, in any condition imaginable, AI all the way... AI cured my rifle ADD. I have owned several customs. All were great, but not perfect for me. The AI is not perfect either, but it is perfect enough.
well said. This was my reasoning also for picking up my AXMC. plus what @Mr. F said being able to change calibers in under 3 mins is amazing.

I agree the AI is an awesome platform. The went with the AX because I liked the adjustability of the stock, extra rail space, and they way the stock folds left to encase and protect the bolt. Also little things like the bipod mount, ease of tripod mounting, etc seem a bit better thought out on the ax. Also the AT isn’t available in the more-accurate elite sand color ;). I’ve also shot an AT and it shoots the same and is an awesome gun as well. I thought about the MC but I’ll mostly shoot creedmoor and maybe a little 308, so it didn’t seem with the extra cost or hassle for my uses. Awesome gun though!
I think the Elite sand model is the most accurate one too!! :cool:

• Love
Reactions: BikePilot
Wind drift is almost nonexistent on the Sage Green, but yeah ive heard about the Elite S. accuracy twice already.

This guy gets it. But I’ll also add that it’s like losing your virginity again and again, but with a more experienced chick each time you buy a new AI. It’s one of the few things you can look forward to once you cross into middle aged and you’ll have many laughs at how many weiners others must suck by buying Mazda Miatas and Corvette’s trying to accomplish the same thing.

Cheers to pussy and AI’s.

This is all awesome info, I greatly appreciate the help.

One question I have with the MC, it is a long action due to being sized for 300nm/338 Lapua- If I throw a 6.5 barrel in it, will length of bolt pull be that much different than the SA versions?

This is all awesome info, I greatly appreciate the help.

One question I have with the MC, it is a long action due to being sized for 300nm/338 Lapua- If I throw a 6.5 barrel in it, will length of bolt pull be that much different than the SA versions?
Yes it is it will be a little bit longer, and you'll need a bolt, mag, and adapter to run the 6.5. thats how mine is setup

Yes you will need a bolt body also. Once ASR magazines come out you will not need the mag adapter from what I understand.
I have had several AIs. After shooting the AXMC you will never notice the bolt throw different after shooting it for a bit.

Reactions: kocustoms
Yes I mentioned a bolt in my comment above. you're really only pulling the bolt back like a 1/2inch further back. hardly noticeable from the SA variant.
So if you’re running an AXMC with a 13” rail (from an AXSA), the AXSR short action mags, and the MC SA 308 bolt assembly, you’re talking about it almost being identical to an AXSA but 1/2” (Approx) longer action/bolt throw and about half a pound heavier?

I think you have to order the AXMC bolt and firing pin assembly to get the small firing pin like the SA.

the AXMC come large firing pin. At least mine did. But it is an early AXMC

Reactions: Doctorwho1138
What about bolt , considering the bolt face is sized for a 338?
You will also need the 308 bolt I got the 308 bolt with the small firing pin for mine from Mike High. I believe you can order the 308 bolt and use the same firing pin assembly but it would be large firing pin. You could have the bolt brushed if you like. But I found it better just to get the whole bolt assembly.