• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Getting into long range shooting

Sierra299

Private
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2023
Montana
Hey guys new member to the the page I’m a young guy trying to get into long range shooting 1000-1200 yards,I’m looking at getting a browning x bolt long range in 300 prc accutac bipod and a 20 Moa rail my biggest question is what is a reasonably priced optic for the range I’m looking to shoot and any other must have to make the learning curve a little easier?

A little background I’ve shot in the 4-500 yard range a lot but looking to expand and get to the next step so any help moving forward would be much appreciated thank you guys

Maybe look in the PX for a Vortex Razor gen 2 4.5-27, Gen 3 Razor or Athlon Cronus, or Kahles 6-24, NF 2-20x or 4-32x, ATACR 5-25x.
If you want to keep it under $1000, Arken or a gen 2 Vortex PST.

Scott

Zeiss LRP S 3 6x36x56 25% off the month at many retailers. Eurooptic free shipping and they pay the tax. I ordered one last week.
Here is an old pick of my ELR Rig. Yes the hole is deep

IMG_0363.jpg

Last edited:
I don’t know anything about the Browning, but an ideal rifle for your scenario would be a Tikka T3X CTR in 6.5CM (or better, 260Rem if you plan to handload). I never shoot my 300 or 338 magnums at 1000 yds, it’s wasteful overkill. A 6.5 is much cheaper/easier to shoot and will really shine at 1000-1200. Now if you have access to 1500+, then the 300PRC becomes more practical.

I have doubts about really high powered cartridges for LR Target Shooting. The main approach to this discipline involves a lot or practice, and high recoil is not your friend in such an application. I started my LR shooting with a .260 Rem; and two decades later, I still prefer the same rifle. More is not needed, not even for hunting. The 6.5CM was not existent when I got started, but makes a good alternative these days to the .260R. Since I handload anyway, I'm sticking with what I already have.

My second observation is that for simplicity and best results, complexity is also not your friend. My rifle is a 2001 Savage 10FP. It's been upgraded with a Lothar-Walther 28" barrel, a McMillan A3 Stock, and shoots 140gr Speer Gold Dot Handloads. It works to my satisfaction.

For a first LR gun, great expense is overkill. The point is to develop the skills on the simplest possible platform, then upgrade the equipment to match the improving skills. In my case, no such upgrades were necessary; and I had considerable assistance in being able to afford the barrel and stock. The original 24" Savage barrel shot quite well. Its only drawback was length, the 28" barrel has a significant velocity advantage without needing to use bore-burner handloads, as the L-W barrel's two decade age demonstrates. Once removed, the original barrel went to LL; who sent it on to another 'Hide member.

In your instance, I would recommend the Savage 110 Long Range Hunter in 6.5CM.

I will duck the question about optics, as my most recent scopes are years old by now.

Greg

Last edited:
You can get a lot of scope for your money these days. I have the Athlon Helos BTR gen 2. It works well. Guy on here sells the. I don't know how to tag people or whatever it's called. His name on here is Spartan Precision Arms. Here's a link to the scope at his store. He charged me less than what his site listed it for.

Reactions: Sierra299
Look for a used nightforce 8-32 or 12-42 in nxs or benchrest model.
They add 2 pounds to the rifle which is a plus and they run $1000 on the used market.
Arken is another option.

Hey guys new member to the the page I’m a young guy trying to get into long range shooting 1000-1200 yards,I’m looking at getting a browning x bolt long range in 300 prc accutac bipod and a 20 Moa rail my biggest question is what is a reasonably priced optic for the range I’m looking to shoot and any other must have to make the learning curve a little easier?

A little background I’ve shot in the 4-500 yard range a lot but looking to expand and get to the next step so any help moving forward would be much appreciated thank you guys

I’m not anywhere near the level of most of the individuals that will post here, but I enjoy the ELR shooting on a non-competitive level.

I was able to get my 300WM on a 2,000 yard target regularly with a Cabelas 4-16x44 Convenant 4 scope. It tracked well and was repeatable and did the job. They don’t sell it anymore but they have this as a replacement:

When I got my 300 PRC I bought a Vortex Strike Eagle. It got me out to 2,500 the one time I had a chance.

It’s a better scope and I really like it. I’m sure you’ll get a lot of good recommendations for some high end scopes. I’m sure they are on a whole different level than what I use, but they aren’t a requirement to get started.

You’ll hear the argument “buy once, cry once”, which is valid advice. But I suspect many here forget what it’s like to be young and have little discretionary funds to spend. Don't feel like you have to spend every dollar you have just to get started.

I agree don’t dismiss Bushnell, I have an XRSII that I refuse to part with even though I have moved on to more expensive optics. It was a great starting point of price, features, and quality.
Got the HDMRII (H59) and the DMR3 EQL. The DMR3 does have brighter glass, but both are so easy to look through. Track like micrometers, stereo dial mag & parallax. They are my forever scopes. Hell, 3 years ago I used the HDMR for 1 mile ELR.

How do you like the accutac?

I have a bunch of bipods and Accutac is among them. It has finer adjustments than most others, but it is harder to adjust, especially when you're prone and reaching forward trying to do so with one hand. Because I have an adjustable bag rider on my ELR rifles, the finer adjustments are not as important to me. I use the daddy Atlas with ski feet for all my rifles now. I won't say I'm "happy" with it because I'm not happy with any existing bipod for ELR - they all have their warts. This side of shooting sports just isn't big enough yet to drive the kind of innovation we need.

EDIT: I should say that my Phoenix gets a lot of attention too. It's just such a pain to haul around.

I've used a Nikon 6x24, Vortex PST Gen 2 5x25 and Athlon Ares 4.5x30 on my PRC. I love the Athlon and highly recommend it

I have doubts about really high powered cartridges for LR Target Shooting...

This falls under "It depends". The OP mentioned 1000-1200 yards and for sure that's in the wheel house of a 6.5 CM. But I've met people that incrementally jumped to longer and longer ranges as the addiction set in. I like stretching every handgun, shotgun and rifle we own and value the training potential of low-recoil firearms. At the same time, I enjoy recoil and want to practice with high recoil firearms regularly, so I can shoot them well, relative to my own limits. Modern muzzle brakes and suppressors, heavy barrels, etc., make recoil on larger rifles extremely manageable.

Anyone here stretch their 6.5 CM to 2 miles?

The 6.5 CM can shoot 2 miles just VERY hard to spot any splash at that distance. Its hard enough to see a .338 LM with a 300gr bullet let alone a 6.5 140 something at that distance. It c an been done though.

Reactions: camotoe
2 miles is a looooong way with a 6.5 Creedmoor.

I've done 2,200 yards with a 6.5CM, but the projectile was starting to get pretty tired after 1,900 yards.

Hit 2800 yards (~1.6 miles) 3x3 target with Ruger precision 6.5 Creedmoor rifle (153.5gr Berger LRHT factory loaded ammo) this summer. Used Caldwell Flashbang LED indicator for hits. Dirt splash on misses is essential to walk in shots. Maxed out of scope elevation set up. Didn't want to spend more money on elevation adjustment just to lob ammo. Satisfied that I got the most of my 'off the shelf' set up.

57 mils elevation... Set up was 40 moa cant on base to use full elevation adjustment on Vortex Viper PST 5-25 x50 FFP (got me 21.5 mils) + Eratac 20 mrad adjustable scope mount. Zeroed at 100 yds (Eratac at 0) but Eratac gave me the zero offset once I set it at 20. Used all 10 mil of reticle lines, and then went 5.5 mil past that using 10-12x power and the horizon to set my elevation to a raised reticle line. =21.5 +20+10+5.5.

Did this at Rebel Ridge Outfitters ranch (Syracuse, KS). Rebel Ridge is at 3232 ft altitude. At 100 F, my density altitude was over 7000 ft and my bullet SG was extremely stable. Wind was calm (5-10 mph) when I made the shots.

Last edited:
Reactions: kthomas
The rabbit hole is deeeeppp.
You can over spend on long range (1000 yd) equilment, and some equipment for ELR ….. BUT, you can’t overdo it with a scope. Don’t short cut the scope. Spend the $. You will appreciate it.
Cheers and best of luck.

1000 yard goals become 1500 yd wishes real fast, and you will be wanting more before you know it.

Chris Schmidt
Tennessee

I’d say you can get into this fairly cheap nowadays compared to 20 years ago. Rifles and glass are far far beyond what was commercially available back then. You can literally buy factory ammo, a $350 scope, and a $800 rifle and after 30-50 rounds for break in take it out to 1000 yards without much effort.
20 years ago 1000 yards without a custom set up and buying a scope that is almost as much as the rifle was almost unheard of and was not the norm.

Reactions: lastshot12
Hit 2800 yards (~1.6 miles) 3x3 target with Ruger precision 6.5 Creedmoor rifle (153.5gr Berger LRHT factory loaded ammo) this summer. Used Caldwell Flashbang LED indicator for hits. Dirt splash on misses is essential to walk in shots. Maxed out of scope elevation set up. Didn't want to spend more money on elevation adjustment just to lob ammo. Satisfied that I got the most of my 'off the shelf' set up.

57 mils elevation... Set up was 40 moa cant on base to use full elevation adjustment on Vortex Viper PST 5-25 x50 FFP (got me 21.5 mils) + Eratac 20 mrad adjustable scope mount. Zeroed at 100 yds (Eratac at 0) but Eratac gave me the zero offset once I set it at 20. Used all 10 mil of reticle lines, and then went 5.5 mil past that using 10-12x power and the horizon to set my elevation to a raised reticle line. =21.5 +20+10+5.5.

Did this at Rebel Ridge Outfitters ranch (Syracuse, KS). Rebel Ridge is at 3232 ft altitude. At 100 F, my density altitude was over 7000 ft and my bullet SG was extremely stable. Wind was calm (5-10 mph) when I made the shots.
lets see a pic of this rifle

Find the bottom of that rabbit hole yet?? I’d personally suggest a Seekins havak over the browning. If you Decide to stay with it at the very least skim bed it and tweak the trigger (not sure how adjustable they are). How much are you wanting to spend on glass? You can pick up a newer Leupold for $1100ish, viper pst gen2 for about $900, Arken are getting rave reviews even though it’s chicom, it’s ran by a couple of Navy seals. You can go broke on glass easy, if you want a good alternative a fixed 12 Super Sniper will hammer 1k no issues it’s really high quality and repeatable zero for under $500

Don't need a 300 PRC to get to 1000 yds and 1200 yds...it's not needed and a wasted dollars.
If ya don't reload get one of the Hornady cartridges that supports LR shooting in 6mm and 6.5 mm CM line..less recoil, and cheaper, so you can practice more, at those longer ranges.
Yep, it's a deep rabbit hole, and ya can get bored with it, after many yrs, and you accomplish most shots, you set out to do...then it can become a chore...a practice schedule that is more grueling than fun...more like paying your employer to go to work, for the company.
And no one cares about your endeavors of accomplishments, but you...especially here, they only want to brag about theirs.
"Did I tell ya about the time, I won a dance contest?"... Interesting, no?...kinda, like that.

How do you like the accutac?
I've tried just about every bipod out there, and the accutac was very stable. $$ You might want to check out the primary arms line of scope. I really like their reticles, and they are reasonable. The style of shooting will dictate the direction of $$. If you go elr in a benchrest flavor, then a good rear bag and adjustable bag rider will be on the buy list. Sled feet will probably be on your list too.

If you're going down this hole, buy the best in the beginning. ZCO and NF scopes are great and withstand the test of time. I have both. If you decide to get out later, you have equipment that will have a better chance of being sold.

The craft is getting very expensive and I see no end to the inflated prices, so just make sure this is what you can afford and what you want to do. Many give up after realizing all the $$. Reloading is another bug that may bite you................All kinds of ways to go bankrupt. Oh, and don't forget the old ball and chain (if you have one). Hobbies and their excesses have often resulted in divorce.

Reactions: 45-90
I started along time ago when Varget was $112 for 8 lbs.
After spending enough to buy another house, on barrels, reamers, chassis, components from most every manufacturer, endless reloading tools, 2 lathes, a Bridgeport mill, tons of tooling for the machine tools.
It consumes too much of your time, LR practice schedule becomes a necessary chore, rather than enjoyable.
I was already divorced, so there's that as mentioned.
Finally got bored with it after many yrs, and enjoy plinking and building rifles.
Still do it from time to time, but you become "rusty" at it without continuous practice, with the exact same consistent, carefully crafted handloaded ammo.
The rabbit hole can be endless.

Reactions: Sgtsideways

Totally missed this one before.

I know there are a bunch of preferred brands but considering what it is that you want to do, i.e., shooting a grand and beyond, buy once, cry once.

And it does not have to be so expensive.

Last year or so, the long shot record was broken. The new record is 4.4 miles. The guys had a huge canted rail and used the Vortex Razor Gen III 6-36X56. And it is reasonably priced for the value that it brings. Or choose another brand that has similar features.

That being said, I have seen a shooter hit a target at 1,000 yards using the 16x magnification on his scope. Anything bigger and he can see wobble which makes him jab the trigger, hoping to "time" the shot break.

Upon (long) reflection, I will tackle the scope question. My views differ from most on this.

I feel that 16x to 18x is adequate for distances out to 1000yd. My reasons are simple; not everything in the field of view needs magnification. Higher magnification reduces context (surroundings, for size reference). This can make finding the aiming point difficult, and can drive one crazy while trying to get a steady aim.

I also believe that as distances decrease substantially, higher magnification can help resolve a finer aiming solution for smaller aiming points.

The distinction is one about a sharp enough aiming resolution as opposed to a popular one. I have six of them ( https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1009354695?pid=835407 ), one on each of my pair of Stag Model 6 Target rifles, one on my PSA 24" 308 AR, and one on each of my Savage Model 11 Long Range Hunters (one is .223, one is .308). My sixth is my 2002 Savage 10FP, rebarreled in .260 Rem (28in), an amazingly accurate LR rifle. The two Stag 6's are identical, intended for private one-on-one comps.

An accomplished marksman can hit anything worth hitting out to 1000yd with 16X. My own LR rifles have scopes with up to 32x, but they are seldom used at more than 20x, unless the target is in close, and this is because adjusting aim for the comparatively higher optical axis requires significantly more accuracy.

BTW, I started my serious distance shooting at Cherry Ridge, but now live 50mi N of Mexico in SE AZ; in a small older development named Sunsites.

FYI, the 6.5CM is totally adequate for 1000yd comp, and bigger cartridges are more hassle than you'd need for that kind of comp.

Your rimfire is not a bad practice chambering. I prefer .223/5.56 for that because handloading that chambering allows me better control over my ammunition quality. I have also fired the 223 in 600yd F Class at the National level (2018 SW National LR Championships at Ben Avery Range, Phoenix, AZ. I didn't win; I don't normally win. I compete with myself, so I always lose. If my health doesn't improve soon, I'll be done with competition.

Greg

Last edited:
Reactions: Ronws
Upon (long) reflection, I will tackle the scope question. My views differ from most on this.

I feel that 16x to 18x is adequate for distances out to 1000yd. My reasons are simple; not everything in the field of view needs magnification. Higher magnification reduces context (surroundings, for size reference). This can make finding the aiming point difficult, and can drive one crazy while trying to get a steady aim.

I also believe that as distances decrease substantially, higher magnification can help resolve a finer aiming solution for smaller aiming points.

The distinction is one about a sharp enough aiming resolution as opposed to a popular( https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1009354695?pid=835407 ) one. An accomplished marksman can hit anything worth hitting out to 1000yd with 16X. My own LR rifles have scopes with up to 32x ( , but they are seldom used at more than 20x, unless the target is in close, and this is because adjusting aim for the comparatively higher optical axis requires significantly more accuracy.

BTW, I started my serious distance shooting at Cherry Ridge, but now live 50mi N of Mexico in SE AZ.

Greg
There is a guy called West Desert Shooter and he did a video about this, including footage from his own testing. At 1,000 yards, he is only using 16x for zoom. I like scopes that go to 25 mostly because they have larger tubes and bells and I like the eye relief.

Another advantage of sticking to 16 (I use no more than 10 while hunting to 300 yards) is that if you zoom into too much, you get wigged out by the waver. Reduce the zoom, let the sight picture settle. For resolution, I find it better to adjust the parallax and I never pay attention to the numbers on the dial. I stop when my eye tells me to stop.

Yes, my main personal objection is about Mirage; it can turn a match into hurry-up-and-wait torture. The Mueller scope referenced in my link fits my needs, my finances, and does exactly what I want a scope to do for me.

Greg

I have doubts about really high powered cartridges for LR Target Shooting. The main approach to this discipline involves a lot or practice, and high recoil is not your friend in such an application. I started my LR shooting with a .260 Rem; and two decades later, I still prefer the same rifle. More is not needed, not even for hunting. The 6.5CM was not existent when I got started, but makes a good alternative these days to the .260R. Since I handload anyway, I'm sticking with what I already have.

My second observation is that for simplicity and best results, complexity is also not your friend. My rifle is a 2001 Savage 10FP. It's been upgraded with a Lothar-Walther 28" barrel, a McMillan A3 Stock, and shoots 140gr Speer Gold Dot Handloads. It works to my satisfaction.

For a first LR gun, great expense is overkill. The point is to develop the skills on the simplest possible platform, then upgrade the equipment to match the improving skills. In my case, no such upgrades were necessary; and I had considerable assistance in being able to afford the barrel and stock. The original 24" Savage barrel shot quite well. Its only drawback was length, the 28" barrel has a significant velocity advantage without needing to use bore-burner handloads, as the L-W barrel's two decade age demonstrates. Once removed, the original barrel went to LL; who sent it on to another 'Hide member.

In your instance, I would recommend the Savage 110 Long Range Hunter in 6.5CM.

I will duck the question about optics, as my most recent scopes are years old by now.

Greg
Absolutely! This is great advice for anyone diving into long-range shooting.