• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

getting into prs rimfire, Tips?

Cody S

Not A Scammer
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2017
Hazard, Kentucky
just found there are a few prs rimfire matches near me in Jackson KY and several good hillbillies I know attend and run those matches so I took the plunge this week. going for base class or production or whatever it's called

savage b22 precision
vortex venom 5-25
thunderbeast takedown
atlas bipod
game changer and fat man bags

also bought a little SK standard plus and rifle match to try out when I pick the rifle up, hopefully tomorrow.

any tips/articles/vids etc on issues with the products I mentioned or tips for prs rimfire? I did a few prs matches and a few long range prone matches years ago.

Last edited:
production or base class is dumb. you have a budget build. and it'll provide fun. but it don't be the best when compared to a rimx or vudoo.

get good data. like very good data. and understand wind. aside from that it's just positional shooting. get a good balance point several inches in front of the magwell and have fun shooting matches

production or base class is dumb. you have a budget build. and it'll provide fun. but it don't be the best when compared to a rimx or vudoo.

get good data. like very good data. and understand wind. aside from that it's just positional shooting. get a good balance point several inches in front of the magwell and have fun shooting matches
I mean, it will have an inferiority complex sitting next to my accuracy international topped with tangent theta.
but not everything has to cost an arm and a leg.
I've seen savage rifles dominate at prs.
also seen many trigger issues from dust lol

Last edited:
I personally don't expect to win because I'm not in great shape, I don't care that much, and I'm not a great shooter. Just for fun. For now I'm mainly worried about the scope not tracking. I enjoy tinkering with guns so I'm not *too* worried about savage reliability but I'm pretty worried about the bnib scope I picked up for 400$ on Amazon last night lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Gummymans
oh that sounds concerning lol. ngl I'm super excited to bomb and have a good time.
Coal Tipple? All the good regional shooters end up shooting a match or two there. Some very talented locals. As long as your rifle is reliable and decently accurate, shoot what you have for a year. Then decide which way to go. Its a fun game

Ditch the suppressor. They tend to open your groups up, although not always, and collect a lot of lead which ends up back in the action when you rack your rifle after each stage. I love shooting suppressed, especially .22lr, but you're already shooting sub sonic and it's just not that loud to begin with. And I have two TB Takedowns.

oh that sounds concerning lol. ngl I'm super excited to bomb and have a good time.
You’re going to be fine with that approach. I started out with a Savage MKII wood stock that was too short for me and had a great time. Until one rainy dirty day when my trigger froze up in stage 9. The Bergera should be fine to start with and get your feet wet.

It may sound obvious, but ensure your scope is level to your rifle and that you have a level on the rifle itself. A few degrees can really make a difference even at 100 yards.

Get in the habit of watching wind and seeing the impact on your rounds when you are shooting paper. I always note the impact and direction of the wind when zeroing before a match. If there is steel at distance, it can give a clue as to how the range does or does not act as you feel at the firing line.

Most of all, have fun. Work to get stable. Don’t worry about timing out. Speed will come. Drilling poor positions will be hard to break.

Run. Fast. Don't stop until you find the skeet field. Buy a Krieghoff shotgun. In the end it will probably be cheaper. Trust me on this .

Seriously, go to a couple big matches and take notes of what the better shooters are using. Talk to folks, ask lots of questions. Make more notes.

Then start accumulating things. If you are patient, a lot of the equipment can be found used, saving a bunch of money. BUT, do not compromise on the gun or scope. Because the gun and glass will last forever with some care, start at the end (buy the best you can manage) and save yourself the hassle of having PRS related yard sales to clear out last week upgrade purchase.

And then commit to sticking out the learning pains of the first few matches. And remember, it's only a .22, it'll be so inexpensive :>)

idk what to say, money has been spent, items are either already in my hands or well on their way.
ammo I'm shooting for my first 2 matches is sk match, while I try to get some of the eley super duper long range about to hit the shelves

idk what to say, money has been spent, items are either already in my hands or well on their way.
ammo I'm shooting for my first 2 matches is sk match, while I try to get some of the eley super duper long range about to hit the shelves
Then just go to my last line above and remember to have fun. I have met a great bunch of folks and regret not a bit going down this rabbit hole.

And note that a lot of shooters are using Lapua Center-X or SK Long Range Match, not the top shelf stuff. If the ammo you are looking at is not round nose, make sure it will cycle through your gun. Some repeaters don't like flat or hollow point stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cody S
I totally understand where you're coming from. the whole setup I have now including ammo cost me about 1k which isn't chump change but I don't do drugs or race cars so I occasionally have a bit of spending cash. this will last me the year and if I enjoy it i may consider selling some of my current toys to finance a cool new precision rf to sit beside my needmoor creedmoor.

eta @tactserv I guess I got sort of lucky going with sk match, I may fit in well idk. I was just going for something that might make me sort of competitive for my first few matches whilst I get the hang of it.
regardless I only have 200 rounds of sk rifle match so if it doesn't work out well I'll save it for practice barricade ammo. I'll see what the results are in June at my first match and make decisions about sourcing some test batches. I know they fire to at least 250 at coal tipple.

Last edited:
I’d say jump in with both feet with lead weights tied to your ankles. I’ve been shooting PRS22 and NRL22 for the last few years. I started as a way to practice for centerfire PRS matches but now I find myself shooting more rimfire matches each month than centerfire. It definitely helped with building stable positions, movement, figuring out wind holds, and scope manipulation. But not recoil mgmt obviously….

Gear is gear. Shoot what you got for now, and decide later if it’s holding you back. I do agree that finding the right brand and lot # of ammo can make a huge difference in accuracy and consistency. I mainly shoot SK Long Range match and have a few lots which I try to buy as much as I can, but the frustrating part is once I find a lot my gun likes it becomes hard to find more of.

Nice thing is I share a lot of gear between my rimfire and centerfire rifles, so buy once/cry once/use for everything. Kestrel, tripod, LRF binos, bipod, arca clamps, gamer plate, shooting bags, rifle cases…. I also got the same scope for all my rifles since I am accustomed to the reticle (my brain seems to do best with mils in .2 increments).

I started with a CZ factory gun but a year into it I upgraded to a Vudoo and haven’t looked back. I shoot Open division bc I don’t see the point of Base/Production division and I don’t like being constrained on what my rifle/scope is.

@Cody S

You have some GREAT Shooters in the Coal Tipple Club. Get with Brandon &/ or Chris and have them work with you. You also have access to a Well Known but secret Gun Smith to build you a great rifle just outside your back door. Get with Mike when you are ready for a Big Boy Rifle!! The Savage will get your feet wet but you better start saving NOW!!!!

My thoughts:
1) PRS22 is dramatically influenced by the variability of 22 target ammo - just be aware of that and know that one lot of "cheap" 22 target ammo will be great and one lot of "expensive" 22 target ammo will be mediocre. You have to figure out how you will deal with that - constant testing, etc.
2) How will you work your dope? Kestrel with AB, phone app, live testing at range? You can do everything right with rifle and ammo then your dope is slightly off at 75 yards on really tiny target and you consistently miss by 1/8 inch (but still a miss).
3) I am seeing fewer competitors who shoot PRS and PRS22. I see more PRS22 competitors who are only competing in 22 events. (Georgia).

If you don't already have a sawhorse or ladder to practice on, get em and practice making good positions BEFORE you get to a match. AMHIK

Watch some NRL22 monthly COF videos to see what guys are doing to make said good positions. Nedved and Lima Romeo 22 (among others) make good videos on YT

Good luck, have fun when you're missing, and be safe

M

@Cody S

You have some GREAT Shooters in the Coal Tipple Club. Get with Brandon &/ or Chris and have them work with you. You also have access to a Well Known but secret Gun Smith to build you a great rifle just outside your back door. Get with Mike when you are ready for a Big Boy Rifle!! The Savage will get your feet wet but you better start saving NOW!!!!
shhhhh don't tell about our secret golden boy Mike lol
yeah I know brandon pretty well too lol

Reactions: Defender32
I've found that my greatest improvements came from focusing on learning on how to build proper/stable positions on the props with your body and bags/gear preferences...Everyone has different options that will fit best with their physical differences and abilities. I would really encourage you to focus on this element.

When I first got started last year, I overly focused on the actually shooting part because I didn't know any better and just tried to wing it on the props. My rifle was never balanced and constantly wobbly/shaky which really effected my shot placement.

Fast forward to this year and I've flipped those two priorities and really focused on getting balanced on the props (and the mental part of working through the stage COF) and my scores have almost doubled.

Shooting is very important, but learning how to create a plan for the COF and how to attack the props for the stage will give you huge gains.

ever seen any problems with these savage b22s?
I've seen my share of accu trigger issues so I'll have my brake cleaner and stuff to tinker lol. I heard of a couple people on the interwebs having issues with the bolt scraping bullets on the b22 so I'm super worried about that honestly.

ever seen any problems with these savage b22s?
I've seen my share of accu trigger issues so I'll have my brake cleaner and stuff to tinker lol. I heard of a couple people on the interwebs having issues with the bolt scraping bullets on the b22 so I'm super worried about that honestly.
Don’t. Focus on your shooting and on having fun. The details will out themselves and you can then deal with them But worry about things that actually present themselves as issues and not what others may have said, right or wrong.

Have fun and have an open mind. Up here there is always a ton of talking and helping new people. Don't be afraid to ask for help or ask about equipment. There are a few up here that don't have bags or anything of their own, so we always help them out.

It's all fun and an enjoyable time. Just don't get to serious and it will stay fun!

Reactions: lash and Cody S
Awesome, have fun. For the first few, don't worry about the timer/shot clock. Nothing wrong with timing out while making good shots and getting used to the various positions. There's always more gear and gadgets. Just tell the rest of your squad you're brand new and they'll likely loan you things as needed and provide tips.

100% check your zero the day of. If you don't have a chronograph ask to borrow one during zeroing and send a handful of rounds. You'll want a ballistic solver for the various distances. Kestrels are super fun but there's plenty of apps to use to get started. Use the data from the day of and plug in the data for the various distances.

Watch others as they approach stages and see how they move and transition between targets, will give you some ideas.

For at home, using something like a ladder and practicing building positions on each rung up and down is a low cost way to work on movement.

There's a nice book, Practical Shooter's Guide by Marcus Blanchard that details with photos and explanations lots of different positions. Worth checking out.

Why the Savage? Wouldn't a T1x, CZ457 or Bergara come under base class price?
All of which would be upgradable into the future.

Why the Savage? Wouldn't a T1x, CZ457 or Bergara come under base class price?
All of which would be upgradable into the future.
what would I even want to upgrade on the savage? all the other options that were good for base come equipped with crappy cheapo plastic stocks that I can't shoot worth shit off a barricade. savage comes with MDT and flush fit 10 round mags.
also if upgraded, it wouldn't be base class...
you realize it already comes with an mdt one piece chassis. I'm allowed to bed the rifle into the chassis if I need to for it to shoot it's best and if I'm not up to the task I know an old pro who can help me one weekend.
comes with a light factory adjustable trigger
factory threaded for suppressor...
I'm not seeing what the problem is honestly, unless you just don't like savage or mdt or something which I can sort of understand because I own an AI and love it dearly but common... it's 22lr... the whole gun was around 500$ new... I would have got used but that wasn't possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: lash
what would I even want to upgrade on the savage? all the other options that were good for base come equipped with crappy cheapo plastic stocks that I can't shoot worth shit off a barricade. savage comes with MDT and flush fit 10 round mags.
also if upgraded, it wouldn't be base class...
you realize it already comes with an mdt one piece chassis. I'm allowed to bed the rifle into the chassis if I need to for it to shoot it's best and if I'm not up to the task I know an old pro who can help me one weekend.
comes with a light factory adjustable trigger
factory threaded for suppressor...
I'm not seeing what the problem is honestly, unless you just don't like savage or mdt or something which I can sort of understand because I own an AI and love it dearly but common... it's 22lr... the whole gun was around 500$ new... I would have got used but that wasn't possible.
You don't see many savages or other cheap rimfires at matches these days, they used to be common but not so much any more.
Most people tend to start with the rifles I mentioned as they are typically a safer bet, and can be built upon in the future if required.

The last match I shot I guy in my squad had a Savage, which he said was really accurate.
Only issue is if you cycled the bolt too fast the trigger wouldn't catch, so you had to cock the bolt again.
Savages are often touted as being just as good as much more expensive rifles, (Savage vs AI is a common meme here) while usually accurate, feeding, ejection etc is often an issue.

You might get lucky and it's shoot amazing and be deadnuts reliable.
Personally I'd rather shoot a CZ457 or T1x in a factory stock knowing I had a good base action to build on in the future if I felt the need.

that's where we differ. if I want budget I want BUDGET and if I want to build a nice gun I'll start with a custom machined action, stick it in a foundation or atx or mpa and have it chambered with a quality bench rest cut rifled blank by a friend with his super secret squirrel 22lr reamer. if I get good I may well decide to do that. if I do I'll pull this venom off here and at least go with a G2 razor lol.
you're right, savages don't generally feed and eject as well as many other brands and aren't a great fit if you don't like to tinker (I do). believe it or not I've only ever had a problem with savages on competition days when conditions weren't friendly fwiw, ymmv.

Reactions: lash
Fair enough, sounds like the Savage B22 will be a good fit.
I don't like having to tinker with things, and certainly don't want to deal with reliability issues in a match.

Be sure to report back after your first few matches.
Most people start into the sport thinking they'll just stay in base class/not take it to seriously, then 6 months later are building a 10k Vudoo setup like you mentioned.

Really the other part with Base class, and I'm not knocking it conceptually as the entry level and/or weekend fun but not being super serious, is that it's all still the same CoF, scoring, etc. It's not like there's any "handicapping" or a skill-based beginner stage to use as well. So any standings/awards are separate, but you're still just competing with everyone else the same.

I haven't shot 22 yet, but have shot a good bit of prs. I've found for me, coming from a uspsa background, that I was rushing the stage trying to finish. I have to make myself slowdown. I would rather have 6 hits on a stage and time out, than rush and finish a stage and only get 5 hits. I hope that makes sense.

Reactions: lash and JC0352
All I can say is that the lack of blast from muzzle brakes at your first rimfire match is amazing. It’s a good time!

I would say make sure your zero is solid. Also test your stuff off of a prop. Pressure on the mag against a bag can cause feeding issues with some rifles.

Last edited:
Reactions: Quirkyturtle
I have been shooting competitive rimfire for a few years now, and have a background in PRS and other centerfire precision and gas gun competitions. I am a huge fan of PRS Rimfire, and I encourage anyone interested to get into it. You have gotten some solid advice, so I'll try to avoid repeating anything unless I think it's something important to reinforce.

1: Ammo selection is the rimfire equivalent of cartridge development in centerfire. The top .22LR manufacturers (Lapua and Eley) intentionally change aspects of their lots, knowing that different rifles will shoot one lot better or worse than another. You have to find the ammo that your rifle likes. Lots of serious competitors will send their rifles out to the Lapua test centers to get matched with whatever they have on-hand that's the best for their rifle, and then buy as much of that lot that they can. Alternately, you can go to Killough Shooting Sports and pick up a couple boxes of different lots and test for yourself. I literally order 2,000-5,000 of whichever lot or two works best for me right from the range. They show live inventory of each separate lot, so you can be sure to test lots that are the most likely to have adequate quantity to get you through a season or two.

For performance, I first test at 50 yards (clean barrel seasoned with 20 rounds of whatever lot I was shooting last) looking for 10-round groups to be consistent 0.5" with no fliers. I then test at 100 yards, looking for 0.3 MRAD or better vertical groups. I don't get too wrapped up in horizontal dispersion since wind is a factor at 100 and I will generally not hold or dial for wind during this evaluation. I like to shoot 5 rounds of each lot before going into the 10-round strings just to make sure the bore is getting fouled with the lot I want to evaluate rather than the preceding lot. I will shoot 3 groups of 10 rounds each at 50, and those that pass the 50-yard test get at least 3 groups at 100. I allow the barrel to cool to ambient between lots, and give the barrel a few minutes of cooling between 10-round groups. I shoot the groups in about 90 seconds.

2: Balance is a major factor in being able to stabilize the rifle with minimal physical input. This is the reason that most of us are running around with 1.2" straight barrels in the 22"+ area, with rifle weights over 20lbs. Even with that much barrel weight, a lot of us still need to add chassis weights to get the balance point a few inches forward of the magazine well. This matters because the majority of stages will be shot from a barricade/support of some kind. Prone/bipod stages account for less than 50% of shots taken during these events. Most of my decisions related to changing my rifle are to improve balance (generally meaning adding weight to the front of the gun).

3: With a balanced rifle, you will be able to get through 90% of stages with just one bag. For me, that's a Shmedium Game Changer with a standard or heavy fill. They work fine as rear bags, and great as positional support bags. If you aren't already familiar with them, be advised that they do need to have some of the fill taken out, as they come a bit "overfull" when new. I remove just enough fill so that when placed over the thin edge of a 2x4 I can't feel the top of the board from the top, through the bag, with the palm of my hand. That's to ensure that the bag is supporting the rifle, not the hard piece of support, and a 2x4 is about the thinnest thing that I'm going to put the bag over with the "tits" down.

4: The optic matters. The 3 most critical things, in this order (to me) are: sufficient elevation travel to be able to put 20 MRAD in elevation without needing to hold (preferably 30), the ability to bring parallax down to 10 yards, and enough clarity to be able to see what I need to see for a correction.

20 MRAD of elevation will ensure that I can cover the vast majority of distances without needing to hold unless I choose to, and 30 will get me out to 500 yards. To achieve this, I have 50-60 MOA in my mount/base combo. Any more than that and I am not sure I would be able to zero at 50 yards without being at the bottom of my elevation travel. I select optics with as much elevation travel as I can get.

Parallax management is a significant part of this game. Since we're dealing with distances inside 300 yards for the most part, and 50-150 for the majority, you're either going to need to be fast on adjusting parallax during a stage, or shoot out of focus/parallax for some targets. Nothing in higher magnification ranges are very forgiving at those closer distances, so it's worth working on both adjusting the parallax between targets and learning what you get away with on being out of parallax for certain distances. Being able to bring parallax down to inside 25 yards can be an advantage, as targets between 15 and 75 yards tend to be very small.

The higher the optical performance, the more you will be able to see. This matters when shooting a tiny little projectile into a berm that has any kind of vegetation on it. Being able to pick up that little puff of anything can be the difference between a 9/10 stage and a 0/10 stage. Similarly, if the target is just hanging out by itself with nothing behind it, being able to visually catch the projectile as it falls toward the target gives you something to work from. Of course, if you just never miss you really don't have to worry about that.

The only difference in equipment from my CF to RF is ammo. That's the only area I save any money, and time, since I'm not loading ammo. Otherwise the equipment is basically identical. The only difference in load out for a match is the rifle and ammo. Otherwise it's the same bags, tripod, binoculars, etc.