• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Getting into "Set' position for LEOs/Military...

Victor Co Heather

Victor Company USA
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 19, 2006
SOCAL USA
www.victorcompanyusa.com
I've always wondered about what checklist a real LEO or military sniper goes through before taking a shot. I read this in an article about a Royal Marine taking a shot on an insurgent in Iraq:

<span style="font-style: italic">“My training then took over and I got myself quickly, but calmly, into the perfect sniping position. We follow a set pattern, placing parts of our bodies in the optimum position, starting with the left hand followed by the elbow, legs, right hand and cheek.”</span>

I'm a weekend wannabe, so I wonder what are the real guys doing before they take a shot? What is your checklist when you get behind the scope, and before taking the shot?

Thanks!

Re: Getting into "Set' position for LEOs/Military.

I move my head sideways both directions, cracking my neck twice, paste on my best hard guy war face, grit my teeth, crack a half smile with a strike anywhere match sticking out the side, mutter "Die Mother F&&KER DIE" as I squeeze the trigger, then laugh like the Joker in Dark Night after the pumpkin explodes.

After the shot I take a few hits of acid and don my best Dennis Hopper impression so that the debrief goes well and is an interesting read for the psych docs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NineHotel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I move my head sideways both directions, cracking my neck twice, paste on my best hard guy war face, grit my teeth, crack a half smile with a strike anywhere match sticking out the side, mutter "Die Mother F&&KER DIE" as I squeeze the trigger, then laugh like the Joker in Dark Night after the pumpkin explodes.

After the shot I take a few hits of acid and don my best Dennis Hopper impression so that the debrief goes well and is an interesting read for the psych docs. </div></div>

I am not a diligent as the above...must be why I can't shoot for shit. I'll work on it.

For me it is the following....

Range
Wind/Target Speed
Fundamentals of Marksmanship
Mechanical Offset

Better yet if you take a PR class at Rifle's Only you will learn in detail a great Pre and Post shot checklist. And you don't have to be a LE or Mil sniper to use it. Works for hunters and target shooters alike.

it starts by how you setup on the rifle. lineup straight behind the rifle then get into position.
From there its' range, wind, fundamentals.
When done shooting, remove ammo, clear chamber, zero knobs, close caps, record on logbook.

R.