• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Getting my 1st (2nd?) bolt gun tomorrow! /rant

FSRbikr98

Private
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2010
Long Island, NY
Whats up everyone i've been browsing this forum for awhile now, i finally decided it was time to register.

Background

Many years ago (geez probably almost 15 at this point) my father taught me how to shoot a single shot bolt action 22, and i had a blast. Fast forward a good while, i became a LEO, and was surrounded by guns, and naturally my interest in target shooting came back.

After the academy I foolishly bought a Browning A-bolt 2 .308 with a cheap scope and started plinking. Soon after purchasing the rifle the AR-15 bug bit me hard, so i sold the gun after only a few months and purchased a Bushmaster XM15.

Fast forward a few years. The Ar-15 served me well, but i ran into some bad financial times and was forced to sell the gun.

Recently my departments range picked me up for a temporary position. Let me tell you this was gun buff heaven. Everytime i get to work, i'm surrounded by gun nuts, and some awesome deals when the guys have "fire sales" as they like to call it.

Well one recent retiree had a Remington 700P with a Leupold 4.5 x 20 scope, side focus, custom coated (Ceracoated sp?) British tan. This rifle had my departments trigger put in 2.5-3lb break. The rifle has maybe 5 round through it, its basically brand new, and it was a hell of a deal. So tomorrow I'm picking it up, cash in hand.

I've been doing a lot of reading prior to this purchase. I've wanted to learn about ballistics and have done a lot of reading on this site specifically. Long range shooters have a much better grasp of a bullets trajectory and MOA/MIL's. Its been mind numbing reading through countless threads. Especially the thread where the difference between MIL and MOA was debated. I am hoping to really understand the art of long range shooting, not just sight in and shoot, but how to range targets, how to make corrections for different distances, etc. I want to begin hunting, its something i was never able to do before hand, but would really like to try.

Basically, i look forward to taking my new boom stick out and learning the finer points. Any information you guys could provide me with would be greatly appreciated, either for equipment or interesting reads to help me better understand some of the math involved with this sport.

Thanks,

John

Re: Getting my 1st (2nd?) bolt gun tomorrow! /rant

john, congrats on finding a good gun at a good price to start with. I could recommend alot of things but one thing you may be able to pick up cheap that will help you to understand more on mils and how to read them is a sniper data book. (check with your department if you have snipers) alot of times there are easy to understand pictures in them that will help (we are visual learners) if not let me know I may be able to scan some pages in and send them to you. Book called military and police snipers has a pretty good write up in it. It also goes more in depth into ranging and other good things. If you can get into a sniper school would be great you learn more from hands on and from someone who knows and alot of time behind the gun. I believe you mentioned the scope if its a mil-dot scope go ahead and get you a good data book you can't remember everything and it will help you to gather data compare your shooting and keep good record count so you will know how your rifle is performing.(if the barrel is showing wear from the amount of rounds and things) I will try to look through my stuff and see if there is anything I can recommend or that I could send if you want.

Update:

Rifle is in my room sleeping next to me right now!

I looked it over more throughly, and if i am correct and this is the scope i have (which i believe it is)

http://www.theriflescopestore.com/levxiiisc6lo2.html

then i got one hell of a deal on this rifle.

If the bad weather passes over us i'm going to begin sighting in and start getting used to the rifle on Sunday. I'm pretty sure the range goes out to 300 yards, so i'll move up in 100 yard incraments and see how she does, and get some dopes written down.

Paid 1200 for the rifle with scope, rings and custom coating on it.

if thats the scope you got send it in to leupold and have the m1 turrets put on it if you want to sending it long range. it only cost $130