• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing getting my ducks in a row

OFIS

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 28, 2007
    Harrisburg, PA
    so ive budgeted time and money towards a build. im going to be relocating, possibly at great distance in a year from now, and i figure if i get the ball rolling on a custom, it should be in my hands and one less thing to worry about while im moving.

but i havent the slightest idea of how to go about doing this, and id hate to burn a gunsmiths time to explain everything to me. im not a noob, i just dont know the ins and outs of contracting out work.

i just need a barrel, action tuned up, that barrel to be chambered and fit to my action, cut and crowned, glass blasted, and finished with something like teflon or ceracoat.

i can bed the action and open up the barrel channel for a larger barrel taper, and install a scope base.

am i missing anything?
    i know everyones reflex reaction is to call GAP or APA etc... and i suppose ive got enough time to wait, but if i go that route i dont want to get in over my head. and if i do get a GAP/APA build, should i just mail them the stock too and get it all done professionally?

so thats where i stand, i appreciate any other tips from those whove been in my position and can empathize.

Re: getting my ducks in a row

Check out Bruce Baer. He is a great smith and great guy out in Willow Hill PA.

i think the laminated stock i had on my savage came from his shop, but i never dealt with him personally. thanks for the tip.

I would suggest that before you go, have a few things narrowed down:

What caliber you want.
    What bullet or range of bullets you want to use.
    Do you want to neck turn or use SAAMI spec necks

These things will give the smith some information to determine if he has a reamer or needs to rent or order one.

Also, barrel contour would help so he can check around, or you can, to see what is avaiable from the different barrel makers.