• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Getting my first safe, lighting options? *update*

dlxcupid

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2010
Commie-fornia
I just ordered a Liberty Safe and it'll be here next month. I was wanting to add lighting to the interior. I wanted LED lighting that's NOT battery operated. It will have an AC outlet installed. I don't like incandescent lighting, I prefer a white/bluish light.

I was wondering what you guys rigged up. I know they sell kits out there but they're way overpriced. I was hoping I can pick everyone's brain a bit and come up with a setup of my own. Pics would be nice! Thanks in advance guys!

******UPDATE******pics added******

Well my dealer finally called and said my safe arrived! 2 Month wait because I wanted the black chrome hardware, I think that's bs but they did have the best price. Without further ado, here's what I got going: (Sorry for the cellphone pics)

Ordered the stuff online and it was a total of $60 for 2x 24" LED strips, 2x 50" led strips, AC adapter, 6 interlink connectors, magnetic switch and $25 for the GoldenRod
IMG_0582.jpg

In action to see if everything works
IMG_0581.jpg

Safe is home and in position
2011-03-21124403.jpg

Bleh...it's so dark in there!
2011-03-20201314.jpg

GoldenRod and 24" strip down at the bottom, doublesided taped to the lip of the door frame/entrance
2011-03-20234201.jpg

24" strip on top and 50" on the 2 sides, interlinking adapter to link the 2
2011-03-20234111.jpg

Magnetic switch on the lower door hinge, to operate when the door opens and shuts off when the door is 75% closed
2011-03-20234133.jpg

We have Light!!
2011-03-20234049.jpg

Most of the hardware in the safe, gotta get pistol racks and such. I didn't want to buy anything until I got the bastard home. Ammo needs to go in too
2011-03-21084344.jpg

Re: Getting my first safe, lighting options?

Tag for info. I bought a string of LED's I think it is 6' or maybe 8' from Lowes however I haven't put it in yet because I cant figure out how to make it come on without plugging it in everytime I open the door. And not look like Crap!

depending on how many volts your LEDs are running, you can get momentary switches from radioshack or a switch from a old dryer or refrigerator I would guess. Wire that into the wiring for the LEDs. Hide the switch at the upper right hand corner or somewhere that wouldn't get in your way.

anybody? I can't be the only one who wants to light up my safe.

Mine has a switch on the floor. I am using a 4 foot flourenscent tube. That and my Golden Rod or wired together in the safe.

I have a couple strings of the white christmas lights in mine.

I put a simple under the cabinet kitchen light in mine. It was already wired for a golden rod dehumidifier. So I changed it to a 2 outlet box in the bottom corner of the safe.

The light is mounted just inside the top of the safe and the switch is close to the top corner of the door when open. So its easy to find without looking for it.

Pretty simple and has worked for years.

Cut

DLX- PM me your email address. Ill send you over some pictures of my Liberty Safe with LED lights. I bought everything from Lowes for about $140..

Here is what you need. (http://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece-rem...p;hft_adv=10013)

Lowes sells the same switch, and probably a better one. Plug the switch into your outlet, then plug the lights into your switch. Hang the remote on the side of your safe. When you open the door, press the remote button and there you have light.
Im not sure what the model is from Lowes, but it is where I got mine from. I think it was $13 or so..
BTW, get rid of the LED string or rope lights. They look like sh*t IMO.. Get with "dlxcupid" about the email I just sent him.
I have a Liberty Frankkin, and it cost me about $140 to light up the inside with LED's, and about 3hrs of time

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ksmith13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tag for info. I bought a string of LED's I think it is 6' or maybe 8' from Lowes however I haven't put it in yet because I cant figure out how to make it come on without plugging it in everytime I open the door. And not look like Crap! </div></div>

I got this for my safe - works very well. My safe has a power outlet.
- Touch control for 3 light levels
- Mounting hw included.
- Multiple lights can be spread out on shelfs.
I mounted mine all pointed down.
Don't try with velcro - it doens't work
frown.gif

6-Light Black Under-Cabinet Xenon Puck Light Kit (Home Depot) $44.97
f9ca8357-4c48-4969-80f6-acaca9dc4d64_300.jpg

thats ALOT of wattage for those lights in such a confined space. Alot of heat also if you happen to leave them on when you close the safe door. I like the LED way IMO. But if you like it, then good for you. Hope it all works out
smile.gif

pretty neat but you still have to hit a button, the one from lightmysafe.com is motion activated. did you see the light kit at the bottom of the page? I was referring to those more than the keypad light. lol

Yes I saw them.. Motion sensor= it lights up EVERY time you or a dog walks by it whether its day or night. Eventually, the battery will die.

I bought one from Dean Safe CO. Should be here by next week.

I'm using an LED strip from Lowes, it was expensive but:
- draws very little power
- generates very little heat
- should last forever
- nice white light
- has an inline switch

My safe door is open when ever I am home, the light is turned on as necessary. After a night where something did go bump in the night, I decided that motion activated or a switch on when door is opened is NOT what I want - too easy to give away position.

when there is something that goes bump at night, I reach for the 1911 hiding by the bed, no time to open the safe IMHO.

Check out Cold Cathode Tubes, especially the ones in blue sold in AC kits. Very cool lighting setup.

As an electrician,I would suggest a trip to Home Depot and Lowes for a look/see.There is a lot of neat stuff that will light your safe,you just need to pick what you like.A closet door switch is not too hard to mount if you have a little basic electrical knowledge and will do what you want.Lets see what you come up with when you are finished. Pete

Check out http://www.oznium.com/
they have just about every option, LED and cathode tubes, if you want to make your own kit up.

I put 2 sets of these http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00119424 in my friends large safe which was fine until we added more lights to his dark basement so I added 3 of http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60143483 to the safe just inside the door lip after that. They are thin enough to hide behind the door lip on his safe.

I can say after all of that installation if you want the most cost effective easiest to install lighting go with the fluorescent strips from Ikea.

I forgot to add that all of the lighting is wired to a contact switch that turns on when the door is opened.

Buy a Multi outlet and screw it to the ceiling of the safe positioned where the switch is accessible. Plug in your lights and use the on off switch on the Multi outlet.

Just got this Keypad light.. Holy sh*t is it awesome, and bright! It stays on for 2min, then goes off automatically. The red LED gives off plenty of light at night time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackalope33B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check this one out- http://www.deansafe.com/sesalidilo.html
</div></div>

They just delivered my Liberty Fatboy, I was under the assumption it had the lights, but no go.

LightMySafe.com has some awesome LED Light Kits. They're super bright whether you get their battery or a/c kit. They sell to many other safe companies and they're easy to setup including the automatic door switch. I have some and my dad. Include instructions and they're assembled here in Houston. I wasted a lot of time trying rope lights and stuff from the hardware store...just buy a kit...they're affordable and worth it!

I just bought 3 compact fluorescent housings and a motion detector for about $70. I had to get the fluorescent friendly motion sensor from Amazon because none of the bigger hardware stores carry them for some reason.
After mounting the lights it was only a matter of running all of the wiring and covering it with a matching carpet.

It came out pretty good.

Hers is a link to a video of the safe opening.
http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i273/weldridg/safe%20light/?action=view&current=MVI_2845.mp4

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sdkidaho</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just saw this from an ad in the Shot Show daily magazine:

Vault Lighting Kit

Not too bad for $43.00

222020-action-2.jpg

222020-action-1.jpg

222020-large.jpg

222020-support-1.jpg
</div></div>

Looks like my Christmas lights that I bought at Walmart for $6 minus the switch

Here's what LightMySafe.com new lights look like. These don't just light up the frame but actually light up everything you have in your safe and include an automatic switch. Picture was taken with the lights off and without a flash. Looks to me like you get what you pay for!!

Safe.JPG

I realize that you already got it figured out, but in case anybody else wanted a good idea. I used rope lights around the door frame and wired them with a pressure door switch off an oven. The whole set up cost me less than $25 bucks and the entire safe is lit up very nicely.

Ordered the stuff online and it was a total of $60 for 2x 24" LED strips, 2x 50" led strips, AC adapter, 6 interlink connectors, magnetic switch.

Great work! This looks like the option I need as well. I need sources, Part numbers etc so I can steal your idea to use in my safe.

looks great, where online did you order your stuff from. Thats a whole bunch cheaper than other kits I have seen recently.

www.inspiredled.com

I dealt with Jim over there. Small company in California. Really nice guy, was really helpful. I told him what I was trying to do and what lengths I needed. I asked for a magnetic switch and he sent me the stuff. He also has a regular on/off switch if you're not into the auto turn on.

Just tell him you're trying to light your safe up and tell him you got referred by Dave the " safe man " as he calls me. Don't go off of the prices on their website because they're all kits. Tell him you want it pieced together. Measure the lengths you need and how many interconnect cables you need in whichever desired length. He'll hook you up.

My interior dimensions are 57.5"(h) x 27.5"(w) x 16(d). I figured I need to leave a little room for connections and I went with 50" and 24". I think they go by 2 or 3" increments. Let me know if you need help wiring or figuring it out.