• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Getting out of the medical field

Doc68

I'm an asshole....
Minuteman
  • Feb 17, 2014
    USA
    So I'm getting out of the medical field finally after 24 years between civilian and Army emergency medicine. I started out as an EMT-Basic, got my paramedic and finally my BSN.

I am getting out for two reasons, one I'm burnt out and secondly the seizures I've been having.

I'm looking at either IT or cyber security. Anyone who has experience in these fields can you tell me the pros and cons of them.

Thanks

Doc

Can't help with the career choices. Have you figured out what triggers the seizures?

Can't help with the career choices. Have you figured out what triggers the seizures?
    They are all usually at random times. Nothing seems to be provoking them. Have been to three neurologists and on 3 meds to control them. Been to Behavioral health to rule PNES(psycho non-epileptic seizures) stress induced.

Nothing so far.

Doc

In memory of VeerG: have you considered the possibility that something you were exposed to during your service could be a cause of your seizures. Ide try to find a way to sort medical data to see if people with service similar to yours experience similar problems at a rate greater than the general population.

Good luck, both with medical issues and future career.

So I'm getting out of the medical field finally after 24 years between civilian and Army emergency medicine. I started out as an EMT-Basic, got my paramedic and finally my BSN.

I am getting out for two reasons, one I'm burnt out and secondly the seizures I've been having.

I'm looking at either IT or cyber security. Anyone who has experience in these fields can you tell me the pros and cons of them.

Thanks

Doc
    I’d definitely recommend security. With an MSIS from a good program, you’d have knowledge across the possible scope of IT, and a solid understanding of the fundamentals.

I worked for DOE during my undergrad servicing security infrastructure and doing development for parts of their federated network. After graduation, I snagged a solid consulting gig in private sector, not doing security, but working as an architect. It was frustrating to not go into my chosen field, but I had more lucrative options related to it.

Feel free to PM me if you’d like more info, or possibly be interested in online courses / acceptance to program at my alma mater.

Been in cyber security for over 15yrs. The field needs people. Security touches everything which keeps it fresh to me. I would recommend people be IT professionals first though. If you don't know how it works its hard to know all the ways someone can break it or take advantage of it.

If you must make a jump into IT, security is the way the go
    but IT really sucks these days compared to say 20 years ago ;)

lol grass being greener, I would love to get the hell out of IT, but the money keeps me in (at least for now)

Have you thought about just switching to something else in medical or related to medical? Might be an easier transition for you
    Even though I have been in IT since the early 90s, I have changed jobs inside the IT arena multiple times over the years.

Reactions: diverdon and Evans
    Been in cyber security for over 15yrs. The field needs people. Security touches everything which keeps it fresh to me. I would recommend people be IT professionals first though. If you don't know how it works its hard to know all the ways someone can break it or take advantage of it.
    This ^^^^^^

Don't be one of the many douche canoe "cyber"/IA guys that spouts out acronyms and security/cyber catch phrases, but has no idea how shit works, but sure likes to throw their "expert cyber knowledge" around, trying to exercise their "authoritay". It's obvious to the engineers when cyber guys do that shit, and makes everyone's job that much harder.

Ask me how I know....

I have the utmost respect for solid cyber guys, but as an engineer, I have nothing but contempt for the poser cyber geeks, that add zero value to helping secure a system, or solve a problem.

I am a consultant that works in the HIPAA/Privacy/CyberSecurity arena. My job is mostly managing processes, education, and cleaning up messes. Here are some thoughts:
    1. The IT field is huge but the problem is that it is under relentless pressure to do more with less. Outsourcing and hosted services continue to put a lot of pressure on these jobs. Expect to have to keep learning and change will be fast and disruptive.
    2. Most of the time IT reports to Finance; so if you want to move up in the world a finance degree is very helpful. It is pretty easy to dead end with just technical knowledge. Communication skills are a big plus.
    3. Try to find something that leverages your medical knowledge; think things like compliance, perhaps UI design, or creating products for the medical environment
    4. CyberSecurity is smoking hot and not going to cool down anytime soon
    5. Managers get good hours and better pay, doers make less money, work harder, and suffer more job insecurity
    6. Diversity and wokeness is present but it's a little less bad
    Finally, a good Penetration Tester is dangerous in ways that most people can't even begin to imagine...

Why not just take a chill nursing job? Plenty of gigs out there where you just take vitals or give shots and if you flop over there is medical help nearby. Seems easier than starting a new career.
    Honestly I dont want the responsibility of people lives in my hands anymore. Its rough having to make those decisions.

I just want a kind of chill job after all this.

Doc

I have seen it more times than not, security people have one single area of expertise and know absolutely nothing outside of that. Like it was stated before, there is a huge need in the area of security but the problem is that everyone thinks I will get this cert and I am good to go, nope! Security touches everything and the better you know how it is all connected the better you will be in security, I really think the latest generation misses this, literally I interviewed a kid that had no clue what DNS was but he know Kali Linux inside and out.

Reactions: Franko

Thanks

Doc
    I'm going to throw out an idea. Right now you have 24 years experience in medical, you OWN that space.

How about becoming an analyst for one of the big health care organizations?

I was (am) a geek who could mine data, but when you teamed me up with a good clinical person, we were a force to be reckoned with. I might not have understood the nuance of what I found, or what to look for, but combined with a good clinical person we accomplished some amazing things within one of the big players.

I left to help out a buddy in one of the trades to run his business until it could transition to his daughter, but damn I miss the good 'ole days. If I ever got a chance to go back, I'd do it in a second.

Ping me if you want to bounce some ideas around.

Pete

Best of luck to you, brother! I've benefitted from your equipment deals in the PX.

I have some basic medical training, along with some street-level first aid, active-shooter stuff. Will likely get my EMT-B when time permits.

I'm in the IT field. Might be able to help, depending upon your location.

Reactions: Doc68
    Security and pen testing in the medical field.

Someone who can hold a conversation in the medical field while he's pen testing would be dangerous. That's where most of the testers fall flat, is they couldn't hold a conversation if they get caught in passing.

Reactions: HeavyAssault
    Dang, I'm worthless with those career fields but just want to say good luck with the medical issues. Hope you get it figured out.

Reactions: Doc68
    Either one. You can be self-taught non-degreed in both as long as you show skill.

They are all whippersnappers though. I feel like an old man at 45. Get some cloud experience too..freaking AWS is everywhere.

And if you run across any good data science jobs let me know. Have professorship/will travel....lol

Dude
    We shall talk.
    I have the gig (medical knowledge required, BSN a plus) that doesnt see patients, pays good, no stress compared to what you have seen.
    work from home in sweats and a hoody. Pays decent.
    I will text you Monday AM with a good time to chat after I look at my work mtg schedule.

And I know one of the assholes on the interview board. 😎

At least if you get out of the medical (military?) you can try CBD for the seizures. Ive heard that it works. Theres stuff on YouTube about it really helping kids with epilepsy. Check it out, and good luck. I second the advice on taking a couple weeks (or more) to just chill out.

Any interest in programming? I've got a sweet platform I'm building out that you could learn a bunch from. If you'd like to contribute to it, I'd be open to paying you a percentage of profit.

Look at alternatives in the medical field. There is demand for people with nursing backgrounds in the administrative side. My wife has a similar back ground starting with 11 years military doing med-evac and base clinic work. Used her vet / GI benefits to get her BSN (and hospital admin -dual major). Did a few years in scrubs and moved into case management and related things. Went back for an MBA and moved up quickly due to her clinical background and ability so solve issues in care that the pure business people in leadership struggle to understand. She has held executive positions and the pay is multiples of what she could ever earn with just a BSN.

Reactions: diverdon and Doc68
    I’m not sure if it sounds interesting but my father did some
    Locum Tenum work at the end of his career as an orthopod and he enjoyed it just because good pay and in different city of his choosing. But it’s still in medical so maybe not but think there would be something in pharma as a consultant?

Thanks

Doc

Another option is med ed. EMT/medic/nursing programs or things like registry, bls,acls etc.

I am an IT exec and worked in healthcare.

Since you know medicine, I’d see what it would take to get an IT degree with a focus on analytics in healthcare. What most kids lack is domain knowledge and common sense as well as focusing on the goal. Work in analytics for a few years then go into management.

Doc, just something to consider based on your background. I’ve worked in and around the auto insurance world for about 20 years now. I left working for a big insurance company about three years ago and now work for a plaintiffs Attorney.

people with your skill set are in high demand on both sides. Practical life experience coupled with medical knowledge and training is very relevant and desirable. You can make a good living, occasionally it’s very stressful but what job that pays well isn’t.

it’s not sleazy and shady like most people think and honestly outside of everyone feeling like they pay too much for insurance vs what they get the vast majority of consumers have no idea how the process works or why things happen the way that they do.
    Just something to consider

I already have my EMT. I have ACLS, PALS and my BSN.

Doc

23rd
    I already have my EMT. I have ACLS, PALS and my BSN.

Doc
    Thats nice. I practice medicine and you are seizing.

I didn't ask you what certs you had.

If you don't understand what I said say so and explain. Your shakes
    don't define you guy.

Want out cool. I will throw a blanket around you and it's cool.

I am an IT exec and worked in healthcare.

Since you know medicine, I’d see what it would take to get an IT degree with a focus on analytics in healthcare. What most kids lack is domain knowledge and common sense as well as focusing on the goal. Work in analytics for a few years then go into management.
    This. I spent 5yrs in Healthcare IT also and leveraging your domain knowledge in transitioning to IT will get you out of the stressful situations and parlay your skills over. I worked with multiple nurses who transitioned to IT and worked in our applications or analysis groups. From there you can keep going up that ladder or slide over to other areas of IT like security or risk teams when you keep increasing your IT knowledge and know the company's application stack and kinetic impacts if something were to happen.

23rd

Thats nice. I practice medicine and you are seizing.

I didn't ask you what certs you had.

If you don't understand what I said say so and explain. Your shakes
    don't define you guy.

Want out cool. I will throw a blanket around you and it's cool.
    Sorry read that wrong.

Doc

Reactions: Jscb1b
    In your spare moments ask yourself: what great unmet need do I see?

Perhaps that can't be you're entire plan but it's how the private jet crowd thinks and looks for oppertunity.

If you have your BSN then your basic sciences are cleared out of the way. Is going back to school an option? You could get into data analysis/statistics. The seizures wouldn't affect your capacity to perform that job.

Chemist jobs are usually laid back for the most part depending on the industry.

App development, Web development, software engineering are some other possible options.

Good luck and I hope someone finds an answer to your ailment. Take care.

Reactions: Oldloser
    In your spare moments ask yourself: what great unmet need do I see?

Perhaps that can't be you're entire plan but it's how the private jet crowd thinks and looks for oppertunity.
    That's how I think, and why I'm doing what I'm doing, and why is asked Doc if he wanted to sharpen his programming chops 😁

In memory of VeerG: have you considered the possibility that something you were exposed to during your service could be a cause of your seizures. Ide try to find a way to sort medical data to see if people with service similar to yours experience similar problems at a rate greater than the general population.

Good luck, both with medical issues and future career.
    Fort McClellan was shut down by the EPA after all the problems from pollution. Monsanto dumped a bunch of chemicals into the water. On base they would kill goats with chemical agents then stuff the bodies into 55 gallon drums. They were dumped in the woods then 50 years later nothing is left, but the chemicals. I got really sick there and still have a bunch of lingering problems that most of those who were stationed at Fort McClellan have now.

Thanks

Doc

With your experience in healthcare, you could potentially role that into healthcare IT/EMR based consulting etc. There continues to be a HUGE HUGE demand signal from VA, VHA, healthcare systems, and top consulting groups for people who know their shit in this area.

Keeps you in healthcare in general, but out of direct patient care.

If you have a deep pocket and lot of time you could look into cyber security. It has a very big steak in the future to come when life becomes even more digital.

Don't be in the chain of command for security if you want a fairly stress free life. I head sup security as one of my hats, and I wake up at least once a week at 2am with security worries. Cyber security is going to get a lot worse from my standpoint for some time.

Reactions: chrome
    Don't be in the chain of command for security if you want a fairly stress free life. I head sup security as one of my hats, and I wake up at least once a week at 2am with security worries. Cyber security is going to get a lot worse from my standpoint for some time.

Similar advice to watch out for on medical device sales. Depending on what you are selling, your life becomes tied to a small group of doctor(s), which can span the spectrum of stress, with a heavy slant towards more stressful.

Similar advice to watch out for on medical device sales. Depending on what you are selling, your life becomes tied to a small group of doctor(s), which can span the spectrum of stress, with a heavy slant towards more stressful.
    Hence screw call.

I work for an MsSP, been here 7 years and we hired 90 people in 2020. Q4 was our best quarter yet. Hit me up when you get your degree and I can arrange front of the line interviews

Doc I didn't not go through every post here and just saw your title so apologies if this is ground already covered. I only bring this up b/c of a great hire I saw in the late 90's of a former EMT. I used to sell pacemakers/defibs and I know you are well aware of their complexity, programming etc. The company I worked for hired an EMT as a sales support guy he was perfect.....not foreign to stressful situations like seeing someone in VF.....thinking on feet in surgery when an implanter is struggling with say a lead or catheter placement etc. I think it was 2 years and he got a shot at a territory guy was made for it and was as good as anyone I've ever seen. I've been out of the biz for 17 years now and know no one any longer still working in the industry so I can't get you in front of anyone unfortunately. CRM would be a lot less stressful than an EMT and your skill sets would automatically put you head and shoulders above most applicants. You know rhythms, can speak the language of pharmacology/anatomy/ with EP/cardiologists etc....that in and of itself is a massive hurdle in that job getting docs to trust your knowledge.

Last edited:
    First and foremost I hope you can get the cause of the seizures nailed down so you’re able to manage them. Unless you’re dead set on changing fields, I’d make all that experience and training pay me back a little and find something else in the medical arena, like many of the suggestions above. Good luck with whatever path you decide to take.

Reactions: Doc68 and Jscb1b
    Franko's response had much of the details of it accurately.

For the Nuts and Bolts of it, you need certifications. The whole industry uses certifications as the "acid test" for employability.
    Usually the bottom rung certification is a Comptia Security+ with a continuing education requirement. Higher rung certifications are CASP and CISSP. You also need to be rounded out with some functional Network knowledge, minimum being Network+, with CCNA being surprisingly well respected. I find that many in the industry have little understanding of network basics (like what Network+ and CCNA give exposure to). This makes their Security conceptual applications significantly weak.

After a year of seasoning, it is not uncommon for network security pros to get 100k+ jobs, depending upon market. Many of the splashy security leaks you have heard about in the news have been due to VERY bad security practices. Even moderately good security makes a big difference, unless your organization is a high-value target.

I will say that some of the new threats are fairly complex. The recent Solar Winds hack, has been a long-time coming. For some reason, nobody thought it was a bad idea to have ONE appliance which had credentials to view and change network settings on EVERY switch/router/server on the network. For those whose organizations which were too poor to afford a Solar Winds license, and were parsing through Syslog files each day, they avoided this whole damaging mess.

Last edited: