• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Getting prepared for a Tough Mudder event....

texas heat

Private
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2012
Texas
Ok so I surfed through a few pages on here and noticed alot of you have done this event. I have decided to enter the Tough Mudder in October in Austin.

Im in the process of whipping myself into shape right now, have been hitting the gym and going on ruck marches.

Is there any specific things I should be doing to prepare? More running?

I have a long time to prepare, so what should I be doing?

Re: Getting prepared for a Tough Mudder event....

Sign up for a crossfit Work out of the Day or check to see if One tough Mudder has one. Im doing a Spartan race in a couple of weeks and thats what I did.

I am doing the one at the end of March in North Texas. I just run a few miles do sit us and push ups. Im sure ill finish it just wont be a very impressive time.

Yeah SGT Keebler, my goal is just to finish im not trying to win it.

Im pretty confident I could do it now, but this gives me a good reason to work my butt off and get in awesome shape.

build a good endurance base and use a functional-strength workout program....crossfit is a good place to start but there are other programs that will help....i.e gym jones, mountain and military athlete...

Im running one in May at Mt Snow VT. I train hard any how but have modified my training some, I am running more distance and also doing 1/2 to 3/4 mile sprints (or at least as fast as the treadmill can go) between sets whial lifting. I am also beating the crap out of the stair climber. I have dropped a little off the weights to focus more on the cardio. I am also doing a lot more body weight traning to get used to it. I am doing a lot of single and also 2 rope climbs, dips on a roman chair, push ups, pull ups, and pull ups and over into a dip. I try and get exhausted with cardio and then hit the weights back and forth to be used to mixing the two. In short I am having a ball with this type of training.

I have not ran one of these events and am very competitive, I want to go and win but after watching several of the past events it looks like there is no chance in that with the lines that develop at each obstacle. I have decided to run this first one to see how the flow is and then enter more to be competitive. I would like to try and get to enter the Ulitmate Mudder but see that only the 1st 100 of the first relay get timed and then you have to be in the top 5% of that. So I need to see what I am up against first and then go back to see how I can stack up.

I just completed mine today. it was 12 miles with multiple obstacles. I would advise being one of the first 2 heats so you dont have to worry about so many other people being on the track and waiting to complete an obstacle. Additionally swimming goggle, take them use them, I didnt think about it and I got so much muddy water they still hurt 5 hours later and flushing multiple times.

I actually enjoyed it once I got a runners/work out high and made it through obstacles with little to no wait.

I and a couple buddies did the Warrior Dash in outside of Austin in March. Was pretty damn fun.

We plan on trying the Tough Mudder back in Texas in October as well. Our training is sorta what another poster listed earlier; lots of cardio with some circuit style training. We'll lift moderate weights for high reps, going through multiple muscle groups, for a circuit or two, then run 2-4miles. Next workout might be another 2-4 mile run, then some core exercises like pushups, situps, pullups; for as many reps possible.

Looking for equipment suggestions (shoes, shorts/pants, shirts, eye protection)? There are several mudder style races coming up over the next few months, and then the actual tough mudder next fall in Austin. I'm really pumped, and trying to get as many co-workers/friends on board as possible. Once I get the list of races, I will post them here. Maybe some of us can meet up at something other than a shooting event.

I have done several of these types of races over the last year and did a Tough Mudder in October of 2011 in Virginia. I will say that if you were to do one in a ski resort / mountain area it can be a bit challenging because so much of it is straight up the mountain, but the one in Florida in December was much easier because of the flat ground and the good weather. All you really have to do to prepare for one on flat ground is to run and maybe do some interval runs / training. The obstacles in my opinion are very easy if you have any upper body strength. Depending on the weather at the time, cold can suck really bad because you will be getting wet a LOT regardless of the temperature. The only gear I would suggest based on the locations and weather I have done them in is gloves for some of the obstacles, a beanie and Under Armour type shirt that will dry fast and that is appropriate for the weather conditions. Other than that, these types of races are much more enjoyable if you get a team together and run it together and have fun with it.

Move to Telluride
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cavemanmoore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My ToughMudder moves from 8000 ft to 12,000 ft. I live at 4500 ft. Any suggestions on how to best prepare? </div></div>

You can rent a high altitude tent to sleep in for the month before the event and see if you are a hematocrit responder. The key to high altitude prep is resting at high altitude not necessarily working out at altitude. Sleep high, work low.

Although 4500 ft is already pretty high so you may not see much of a difference in sleeping at altitude.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: copdoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Move to Telluride
laugh.gif
</div></div>

Noted. I'll start house shopping right away!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WhiskeyWebber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can rent a high altitude tent to sleep in for the month before the event and see if you are a hematocrit responder. The key to high altitude prep is resting at high altitude not necessarily working out at altitude. Sleep high, work low.</div></div>

That is a great idea. Thank you!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: copdoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Move to Telluride
laugh.gif
</div></div>

Meh....definitely the tent.

and based upon personal experience from many a moon ago, I can flat out say that sleeping low and working out high DOES NOT get it :), unless you want high-altitude cerebral edema
laugh.gif
So, indeed!! work out low, and sleep high
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: copdoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">,unless you want high-altitude cerebral edema
laugh.gif
So, indeed!! work out low, and sleep high
smile.gif

</div></div> Yikes! Did you spend some time in the hospital with that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: greyshirts</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking for equipment suggestions (shoes, shorts/pants, shirts, eye protection)? There are several mudder style races coming up over the next few months, and then the actual tough mudder next fall in Austin. I'm really pumped, and trying to get as many co-workers/friends on board as possible. Once I get the list of races, I will post them here. Maybe some of us can meet up at something other than a shooting event. </div></div>

Basic shirts that have a draw string. Tie them tight. I went without a shirt but if you do wear one make sure it doesn't hold water and dries fast so it doesn't add unneeded weight. I would wear a pair of swimming goggles around your neck and use them for the obstacles the muddy water will get into your eyes and it hurts. As for shoes I just wore basic running shoes and tied them tight. I also advise tapping up your feet if you are prone to blisters. You will be running in wet shoes/socks.